PDA

View Full Version : washing fleece separately?

stillplayswithbarbies
10-17-2003, 01:25 PM
I was reading somewhere about separating the fleece stuff from the cotton stuff so you don't get fuzzies on the fleece and it doesn't pill as much. I am surprised at how pilly my fuzzibunz are after just two washes. I just got a fleece AIO, and a fleece cover from Angel Wraps and I don't want the same thing to happen to them.

Does anyone do this? Do you keep two pails, one for the prefolds and one for everything else?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

liya
10-17-2003, 02:13 PM
I do...But i keep everything in the same pail i just separate them like separating black and whites when washing and wash both separetly..I hate pilly fleece.....this way my FBs stay nice and pilly free..LOL

egoldber
10-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Well, I separate covers from diapers when pailing. I hang a Bummis bag from the doorknob of her closet and keep dirty covers in there. I do this because I found that my covers (especially some PUL covers) were retaining smells from the pail.

But I never separate anything to wash. I'm just too lazy for that. I think that fleece just pills after several washes, even the "good" kind, like MM fleece.

liya
10-17-2003, 02:36 PM
Actually Beth i havent had a problem with that..It was only when i washed hemp together with the fleece or unbleached diapers that i got all the icky pilly fleece...LOL

egoldber
10-17-2003, 02:54 PM
I'm just basing it on my experience with all types of fleece, jackets, "sweaters", etc. Maybe it wouldn't pill if I did fleece only loads, but that is SO not going to happen in this house, LOL!!! :) I'm lucky if I separate lights and darks!

liya
10-17-2003, 03:57 PM
LOL...i was just tiered of sitting with some strong tape sorta waxing all the fleece..it took so much time that i just decided to wash it seperately..Im such a looser..what boredom can turn you too...LOL

stillplayswithbarbies
10-17-2003, 06:43 PM
oh! I never thought of that. I can just use the lint brush to take the fuzzies off the fleece. That's much easier than doing separate loads.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

cvharris
10-17-2003, 06:50 PM
I have started doing this. I have mostly hemp fitteds and fuzzibunz and I wash all my hemp separately from the fuzzibunz. I include my velour wipes and my non hemp diapers (velour/print) with the fuzzibunz and now I have no fuzzies.

I recently picked up a bigger diaper pail and I use two large bummis liners in it to separate them. I couldn't stand to separate the laundry as I load...the smell of old urine would get to me after more than a few seconds.

It is so nice not to have to pick out the fuzzies off the FBs when I'm about to put one on DS. I hate having little fuzzballs on his privates. :)

pritchettzoo
10-18-2003, 05:16 PM
Gracie doesn't fit into her FBs yet, but just curious for future reference... To keep them non-pilly, would I just need to separate CPFs? Anything hemp? I think I'm getting a couple of Sugarpeas size 1s that have hemp fleece...what category would these fall into? (Good grief--and I thought CHOOSING the diapers was the hard part!)

Thanks!
Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

liya
10-18-2003, 06:24 PM
Anna- i would definately separate the sugarpeas for the first couple of washes form fleece and cover)...No Kissaluvs dont count as that type of fleece we are talking about the fleece inside the FBs...I always separate covers and fbs and anything that has fleece and wash them apart BUT i would be very carefull washing those new sugarpeas with fleece..Great diapers but they do lint EVERYWHERE for the first washes...

egoldber
10-18-2003, 06:51 PM
Hmm. I do agree that Sugarpeas (and all hemp fleece diapers) lint a LOT the first few times you wash them. But I've never had a problem with it not going into the lint trap in my dryer. I've never noticed a residue on other diapers, but maybe thats me.

HTH,

Melanie
10-19-2003, 01:49 AM
I wash it all together. I think it's the oils from the natural fabrics (like unbleached cotton and hemp) that pill the polyester fleeces. Sometimes if I have a new hemp fleece diaper I'll do it by itself for the first wash, depending on my mood, but that's it.

Also, I never liked the fuzzi bunz fleece. The www.apronstringsbabythings.com inside fleece stays almost totally un-pilly and super-soft after many many many washings. The Fuzzi Bunz was all pilly and unsoft almost immediately.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-19-2003, 11:39 AM
Fom the picture, it looks like there are no leg snaps on those, do they fit tightly enough around the legs?

What is the outer cover like? Do these fit as trim as Fuzzibunz?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Melanie
10-19-2003, 11:19 PM
They fit tight enough on the legs for my toddler. They are as trim as FB, although they will have one additional layer b/c there is the PUL layer then the outer print. I found the difference in the one layer of FB vs. the 2 layers of these to be negligible.