PDA

View Full Version : a CD washing question

stillplayswithbarbies
10-21-2003, 11:43 AM
I do a cold soak/prewash, then a hot wash and two rinses. Is the purpose of the cold soak/prewash to keep the poop from staining? And if so, if I have no poopy diapers in this load, can I go straight to the hot wash?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

egoldber
10-21-2003, 11:55 AM
Maybe. :)

I have experimented with various wash routines, and I have found that I need two wash cycles to get my diapers clean. Whether they were hot or cold didn't seem to matter in either cleanliness or staining. But whenever I have tried to eliminate a wash cycle, I always end up adding it back in, regardless of rinses done afterwards. I really think the agitation of the wash cycle is crucial. I didn't always notice a difference right away, but I did pretty soon afterwards.

Some are able to get away with one wash cycle, but it really depends on the combination of your washer, detergent, and water type.

In general, I do a cold wash, then a hot wash and that's it.

HTH,

kalebsmama
10-21-2003, 01:26 PM
I was wondering the same thing!

Do you use detergent then on both cycles? And, if you wash your covers with diapers, do you put them through both cycles? Or, do you wash them separate from your diapers?

Thanks!

parkersmama
10-21-2003, 02:30 PM
At some point I discovered that it seems to work out fine if I only use detergent in one wash. I do one hot wash with detergent and normal rinse cycle. Then I do a cold wash with no detergent and 2 cold rinses. After the first wash the diapers often still smell a little but after the next (detergent free) wash, they smell great and don't get smelly when used. I sometimes add in Calgon in one of the washes to strip the diapers as well.

I do wash covers in with diapers and run them through both washes but remove them to air dry as I'm transferring everything else to the dryer.

daisymommy
10-22-2003, 10:47 AM
I missed the thread axplaining using Calgon on diapers. Can someone give me the info? What it's for, how much to use, and when?

Also, what type of detergent does everyone recommend for their diapers?

egoldber
10-22-2003, 01:12 PM
I like Tide.

Calgon is a water softener. It works really for some people for removing detergent build up on diapers. Some people find it makes a big difference and some find it makes no difference.

HTH,

natesmommy
10-25-2003, 05:30 PM
Butting in**
Glad to know the Calgon can help with hard water. Will have to give it a try.

parkersmama
10-25-2003, 09:18 PM
Another vote for Tide. I think most people here that use it use the liquid but I've found the powder works just as well and is cheaper (since you have to sell off a child to actually afford the Tide...it's ridiculous!).

I only use the Calgon every once in a while. Our water is medium hard and I think all the rinsing that I'm doing is really controlling the odor problems very well. Some people here use Calgon once a week or even more often. Just depends on your particular water and how much you think it helps.

daisymommy
10-25-2003, 09:57 PM
How do you know if your water is hard or soft? And now for the dumb question of the day... Is there a Calgon water softener--or the bubble bath that I never get a chance to use? :)

egoldber
10-25-2003, 10:13 PM
NOT the bubble bath! :) Its in the laundry aisle. Not all stores carry it, but I have found it at Walmart and Safeway.