PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose my diaper covers...

daisymommy
10-22-2003, 11:29 AM
How many covers per day do I need? I normally change Josh's disposables 6 times a day. How does it work that I don't need to toss a cover in the wash after each use? Aren't they all wet and stinky after a use? Do you have to wipe them out with something, and hang to dry? How many times can one be used before washing? Does it differ with the fabric of the cover?

Can all front and side snap/velcro diapers be used with tr-fold prefolds laid in? I think it would be nice for DH to just be able to lay a prefold into a cover. Can you only do this with certain types of snap/velcro covers? Does this method work well, or do you get leaks without using a Snappi?

Which Nikky cover do most people like?
-breathable poly (waterproof but still soft?)
-cotton (not totally waterproof?)

Is it better to use a Bumpy Day or Bumpy Night cover during the daytime with a heavy wetter? I know the night covers absorb more, but is it neccessary? (it's only $1 difference, so not a big deal to me). Is a Bumpy Night cover really enough at night?

Would anyone use only fleece covers with prefolds? Or is fleece not practical for every single diaper change? (love the prices on Sugarbums fleece covers!).

Are Angelwraps fleece covers only water resistant--not water proof?

Sorry this was so long!

egoldber
10-22-2003, 01:07 PM
With my PUL covers, I use them all day unless they have been pooped on (in which case they go in the pail). If they seem very wet when I take it off, then I use a different cover and let that one air dry. Otherwide I just re-use it. I only use it for one day. I use fleece ocvers in a similar way. Wool covers can be used for several days without washing.

Trifolding CPFs really only works well with snug fitting velcro wraps. I wouldn't do it with snap covers.

Fleece covers are much bulkier than velcro wraps. It depends on you and how you would like to dress Josh. A lot of people only use fleece or wool, so obviously its doable. But this is not the trimmest option.

All fleece covers are water resistant, not water proof. Fleece tends to repel water which is why it works as a cover. But if the diaper underneath is saturated, the cover will feel damp and may wick moisture.

HTH,

parkersmama
10-22-2003, 01:41 PM
Most days, two covers is enough. I generally alternate covers at each change and let the cover dry in between. Since I'm using two per day, I sometimes using them for two days. If it gets pooped on, it goes in the pail and a fresh cover comes into rotation. I pretty much wash every other day with few exceptions. I have 4 Bumpy Day covers and use them almost exclusively during the daytime. My SIL has Bumpy Nights that she uses at night and says it does well. It does seem a little thicker. My covers don't seem to get stinky at all. I just wash them with my diapers (velcro closed!) and hang to dry.

Although some people probably do just lay in a prefold in a Bumpy cover, I've never found it to be convenient. Honestly, I almost never do the lay in thing. I find using a snappi works better at keeping the diaper in place. My dh wouldn't touch a snappi with a 10 foot pole so I keep Kissaluvs on hand for him! You definitely wouldn't want or be able to lay in a prefold in a side snapping cover. The cover has to be snug fitting for it to work.

I think that fleece covers as well as wool and most side snapping covers are pretty bulky under clothing. I have several ME Airflows and while I think they are fabulous for nighttime (no leaks!), I don't like them at all under clothing so we don't use them for daytime.

HTH!

jmofarrill
10-22-2003, 01:44 PM
Don't have any advice, just wanted to say THANK YOU for asking all the questions I keep forgeting to ask! LOL

blnony
10-22-2003, 03:11 PM
Amy-
I mainly use wool, but when I use nylon or PUL, I use the cover for a few days unless its poopy. Mine never smell, and it airs out fine. Same for wool.
One thing to remember is when you use cloth you really have to change pretty often, more than with a disposable. I change Audrey probably 8-10 times a day. I go no longer than 2 hours between changes and usually no longer than 1.5 hours. No matter what the cloth, it isn't as absorbent as a disposable. And the more often you change, (with pee....) the less often your covers get really wet.
If I were you, I'd start with about 4 covers and see what you like. See which fabric, type, style, cut fits Josh the best. You won't really know what works the best until you've tried it out. You might even want to check out some good used ones until you decide what you like. Once you see what you like, then you can buy more of those and it isn't so expensive.
And fleece, much like wool, is water resistant, not waterproof like Beth said. But wool will usually absorb more than Fleece and you can get compression leaking or wicking with both.
You might want to start with a few prefolds and see how they work for you. If Josh is anything like Audrey, she is a terror at diaper changes and there isn't any way I could use a snappi or get her to hold still long enough. Most of A's changes are done while she's standing or moving! :) But a fitted and cover is very easy too.
Good luck!!
And...I haven't used any of the covers you're asking about so I don't really have any advice there.

sugarsnappea
10-23-2003, 07:27 AM
4 covers to start would be great. I use Nikky's breathable polys and I trifold prefolds right inside. I sold my cotton ones on Ebay because they were NOT waterproof at all and the stains were difficult to remove. I think the cotton ones are more expensive too. Most of the time I get to the diaper before the wetness has penetrated to the wrap. I don't really wash covers that often. If there is a stain, I rub a little soap or shout and wash it out in the laundry sink. My CD routine is pretty simple. Once you get your system down, you will be amazed at how simple it is. :)