PDA

View Full Version : Material s for Covers Scared Me Today

liya
10-22-2003, 06:06 PM
Today i felt some Pul for the first time in my hand .. Ive been feeling Ari a tad more heated in his areas than usual with proraps this because of the higher rise in temperature but it was only with my proraps that i noticed the big heat increase. Also we have been noticing somewhat of a weird smell coming from the plastic and let me tell you im a person who DOESNT REUSE COVERS more than one time(i have tons of covers..LOL) so the washing IS NOT an issue.. Today i had the chance to feel all Vinyl, PUL and Nylon Taffeta(im buying materials to make my own diaper and i got some samples) in my hands and let me tell you guys that there is a huge difference between them...

My prefferance order:

Nylon-softest and more fragile of them all but breathed so nicely
1Ml PUL- this is what my nikkys are made off and the bumpy days after some hard blowing you could feel air thorugh the other side not alot but air needles to say
2Ml PUL-couldnt feel a thing Im pretty sure this is the prorap material..LOL
Vinyl- I didnt like anything about it...LOL

Honestly i think the 2Ml Pul and the Vinyl were almost identical in their breathing properties but in their quality i could inmediately notice a difference.....

So there you have it folks my day in cover fabrics day...LOL

Note: this is all a matter of personal opinion and i know quite alot of ppl that are perfectly fine using vinyl and pul but i myself will not use it ANYMORE because of my weather...

Melanie
10-22-2003, 11:26 PM
Where did you find these materials? I went to our JoAnn's today to get some waterproof material for a changing pad I'm making and they didn't have anything suitable.

liya
10-22-2003, 11:32 PM
I asked a friend to send me some swatches(shes a wahm that specializes in selling fabrics and diapering stuff) to see what i would be ordering. I have to order from the US anyhow cause i have no JoAnns here so im going to do a bulk package on hemp,wool and all the fabrics and materials except the outer wovens...But vinyl you can easily see in a shower curtain..LOL the Breathable PUL is nice though.

mommyj
10-22-2003, 11:42 PM
My favorite fabrics for covers are nylon and wool. I'm also not a fan of PUL covers, but I know they work great for a lot of cd'ing mamas. I'm only using nylon and wool covers for ds.

alkagift
10-23-2003, 10:31 AM
Linda,
You're right about that--I tried to "blow" through a prorap too when I first got my samples and realized that NO air was going to circulate through them. No water, either, so no leakage, but I thought that, like you, the warm weather where I live would cause too much heat retention. The paper of disposies, even with the gel, is still more breathable than the Proraps. The Bumpys and the Bumkins are better.

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

liya
10-23-2003, 12:28 PM
Nope everything PUL that i blow through and cant feel ANY air coming out is out of my sight..I cant i just cannot put that on my son. Im getting some bumpy days wich along with my nikkys should do much better than anything else..Are the Bummis wraps PUL(??) can anyone take on in their hand and breath through it and tell me how they work..Also what are the Bumkins made off??? I want to get my list together to buy items and sell everything else off. I mean i even took an FB and breathed to it and although not ALOT of air i could still feel something coming out...

I like having lots of covers( i dont reuse covers..LOL) but i need some nice covers for my CPFs to acompany my lonely nikkys and nikky cotton..LOL

Oh and AIOs too..I know my Angel Wraps is made of nylon though...

pritchettzoo
10-23-2003, 06:17 PM
I have the Froggy print Bummis wrap. It's breathable and feels cloth-like, but I'm not fond of it. It's got tiny little velcro tabs that are easily opened. So I would be hesitant to use them with a CPF, and I can't use them without a Snappi (and since I do not have the brain power to figure them out yet, I haven't bothered!). They do okay over Kissaluvs, but I only use it when my proraps are all gone.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

em_jon98
10-24-2003, 08:50 PM
Linda,
Are you going to try to dye your PUL or leave it white?

liya
10-24-2003, 09:41 PM
Not sure Em. I dont want to ruin the little breathability in the breathable pul i have..