PDA

View Full Version : what is wicking?

stillplayswithbarbies
10-24-2003, 01:17 PM
I got a new almost-in-one, that is a cover with a snap in soaker. The cover is cloth laminated with PUL. (I think)

So I put it on her today, and at diaper change time 2 hours later, her pants were wet. She only peed once, and she pees very little, but wherever the diaper was wet inside, the outside of the cover was also wet. Is that wicking? Or is wicking when the clothes get wet around the legs of the diaper?

I emailed the person who made the diaper. I don't think it is supposed to do that, is it?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

liya
10-24-2003, 01:40 PM
Yup thats wicking.....It can be due to compression wicking or just because it wicks..

erzzie
10-24-2003, 04:17 PM
I think of wicking like a candle wick where the wax kind of moves up along the length of the string to the top, even though the source of the wax is at the bottom. So in a diaper, wetness moves from the inside area to the outside area via the edges. The edge gets a little wet, then that wets the area next to it, etc, until you have a cover that is wet on the outside, especially around the thigh openings.

Compression wicking is when you have a wool or fleece cover (usually) and the wetness is forced with pressure (the weight of your baby lying on the wet diaper) through the waterproof/water-resistant fabric to something absorbent on the outside (clothes!). I don't think I've heard of PUL/cotton prints described as having compression wicking. Usually, they're just said to not be waterproof at that point.

Your diaper cover is definitely not supposed to get all wet immediately after your baby pees :) I've found that my ME Airflows are almost bulletproof as far as wicking. I have had 3 cotton outer, PUL inner covers (from 3 different WAHMs), and have found that they really do require more frequent changes than I'd have expected due to wicking around the thighs.

Good luck getting it all fixed up!

stillplayswithbarbies
10-24-2003, 05:52 PM
so, if it is wicking then it is compression wicking, but PUL is not supposed to do that. It's like the waterproofing isn't there, but I can see the PUL.

I haven't heard back from her yet, but I hope it can be worked out because I like the look and the concept of this cover/diaper.

It has fairies on it. I'm a sucker for fairies.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

liya
10-24-2003, 07:06 PM
i thinkn your diaper is just plain ol wicking not compresion wicking just wicking. It starts off in the legs and then it spreads and bam youve got pee everywhere...I hope the WAHM resolves your problem..

DId you wash and dry it in the dryer to close the holes?? Also if it has any ruffles, did you pull them all out through the legs...??

If the soaker is a trifold did you double fold it instead of trifolding it??

stillplayswithbarbies
10-24-2003, 07:45 PM
no, it's not wet around the legs at all, just on the butt.

the soaker snaps in and just lays there.

I didn't dry it, I thought PUL is not supposed to go in the dryer? I don't put my Proraps in the dryer.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

liya
10-24-2003, 08:10 PM
Karen read your email ok...

stillplayswithbarbies
10-25-2003, 01:20 PM
Linda,
I never got an email from you. Maybe try it as a PM here?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

liya
10-25-2003, 06:16 PM
PMed u....