PDA

View Full Version : Using vinegar in the wash

daisymommy
11-04-2003, 12:28 AM
I know many of you use vinegar in a Downy ball in your wash with CD's. But I read recently that you shouldn't use it with polyester diapers/covers. Do those of you with Nikky's use vinegar? PUL is a form of polyester. I read that vinegar can make polyester stink pretty bad.

em_jon98
11-04-2003, 04:16 PM
I use vinegar in an extra rinse cycle at the end of my second wash. I do not put it in a Downy ball, rather I let the whole cycle run and then reset the washer to the rinse portion of the cycle and pour about one cup of vinegar directly into the washer. I dig through the washer and pull out all of my covers (or most--I miss one every so often) before putting the vinegar in. From what I understand, the issue is not with the PUL getting stinky but breaking down more quickly because of the contact with the vinegar.

blnony
11-04-2003, 06:22 PM
I don't use the vinegar when I'm washing anything with PUL or nylon, but I don't use those very much anyway. I sent you all but one of my PUL covers! :) I really use wool 99% of the time.
But I've heard that it does break down the fabric much faster too.

parkersmama
11-04-2003, 06:44 PM
When I first started washing my CDs I often used vinegar or baking soda and other things experimenting with my wash. Over time, I've found that the only things necessary to keep my diapers fresh are detergent, lots of rinsing, and an occasional Calgon treatment. I think you should do it without vinegar for a while and then experiment only if you end up with a problem that needs solving. HTH!