PDA

View Full Version : redness on boy parts

lizajane
11-05-2003, 10:33 PM
along the lines of maria's post...

schuyler has NEVER had a rash. well, maybe a red spot here and there, but it always cleared up after one or two desitin treatments. (as in two changes) suddenly, his testicals are bright red all the time. and some of his skin on his penis, too. NOTHING else is red. not his legs, his bottom... we are using the same detergent as always, we had used calgon before, i use vinegar now and then, like always. i do an extra rinse or two. we have always used fleece liners. ??????? there is nothing new going on! the only thing i thought it could be was some new fleece liners, but i didn't use them all day and he was still more red at the end of the day. this may have started when i put aquaphor on him, but it has been more than a week since i did that. so i think he MAY have reacted to the aquaphor. but he has always done really really well with desitin, and it just isn't clearing this up. i didn't use any soap in his bath tonight to see if it is just dry/iritated from his bath.

any ideas? it doesn't look rashy (textured.) it is just RED. and he doesn't eat anything but breastmilk, so it isn't a food thing. (no changes to my diet, either.)

TIA

erzzie
11-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Is it possible that he has been drooling a lot more/teething? Some babies get burn looking rashes from that? Though I would think Aquaphor would help that :( Good luck, rashes are awful.

liya
11-05-2003, 11:54 PM
My son CANNOT wear Aquaphor!! He gets HOOOOOORRIBLE red testies from it....I have 2 tubs here NEW sitting at my house waiting to be used for something sometime...LOL we Use Burts and Bees Diaper Ointment whenever he gets red...

Can i ask a question?? Did you put aquaphor on him because he was red?? Or just to act as a barrier?? I dont use ANYTHING on Ari unless he has signs of a rash. I remember our ped said something about that at the weeeee begining when he was born.. I just remember his words "dont use it unless you have too"...

Let him air out without anything tommorow...no fleece liners no ointment just the CPF and the wrap and change him more often than you usually do as to keep the area extra dry....if it clears up then add the liner and check and see if hes reacting to the fleece(some babies do that after a while...i dont know why but some do)..If he doesnt react then we can probably conclude it was the aquaphor(not for sure but mass deduction)....

If he reacts to the plain CPF with the prorap then try rinsing those puppies out a bit more..Ari could tolerate Calgon in the begining but after a while i couldnt use it at all...

Also try leaving him withOUT a cover tommorow as to let him air out a bit..I know i know you cant take him anywhere without a cover but letting him air out when hes irritated is really important...

Last but now least if NOTHING improoves within a 48hr period then call the ped and check in for an appt....

HTH I have a very very Rashy kid just telling you some suggestions of what we had to do to get the area cleared and deduce what was giving him issues...

mommyj
11-06-2003, 11:43 AM
I just wanted to second all of Linda's great suggestions. My little guy turned bright red the only time I used auqaphor on him, so we use Burts and Bess now, too. DS only got a bad rash once, but we kept him in a CPF with no cover all day, and it cleared up pretty quickly.
I hope your little guy is doing better!

lizajane
11-06-2003, 11:51 AM
THANK YOU! i think it was the aquaphor. i never use anything as a barrier because he doesn't need it! we use FB at night and fleece during the day. but he had a tiny little bit of redness (he only poops once/week, so if he ever gets a little red, it is the once/week poop's fault) i thought, "hey- i will give a. a try since everyone raves about it for cds" and since i was using my fb... STUPID. the desitin has always been fine and we have never had any stains with it, either.

sigh. i will use my a. as hand cream. i only have samples anyway.

i was planning a cover free day today now that i finally found 2 of my 3 snappis (argh, daddy!) we will go without fleece, too, just in case.

thanks thanks.