PDA

View Full Version : i see why this is considered a cult. I am addicted! Some ????

JenaW
11-11-2003, 11:06 PM
This is insane! Every night for the past 6, after my little guy finally nods off, I sneak back downstairs to the computer and continue my search. I was hoping to make the switch for cost-effectiveness. But, after looking at all these beautiful custom made covers....yikes! The one thing that makes it easier is that most of the patterns are flowers and girlie....not really appropriate for my son. Although, I did almost buy a gorgeous fleece cover for $5 that was pink. Yes, I know...hardly screams male, but for $5!!!! DH vetoed that pretty quick though.

My latest obsession is the wool soaker pants. Has anyone used them? Do you use them in place of regular pants? Can you really use them as a cover? So, I would put my guy in a fitted and then put the soaker pants on? Is this only for nighttime or would you go out in them?

Are all prefolds created equal? Do I just go to a website and order a bunch in the right size? Or is there a trick to these too? Where is the best place to get some. Prefolds scare the heck out of me. The pinning/snappis/twisting stuff...WHEW! That is why I thought I would stick to fitteds. But then, alot of them seem bulky. I still haven't gotten my contours yet...I won 6 kissaluvs on ebay...curious to see how they work. I tried a fitted kissaluvs from a friend for size, and it seems ok, but I still need a cover, so I haven't really used it yet.

ok. Enough rambling. Thanks for all your help. You guys are so amazing. If this board was not available, I don't think I would even consider trying to CD.

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03

liya
11-12-2003, 12:22 AM
Ok first on to the prefolds....Prefolds can be tricky..There are indian prefolds(narrower and run smaller), DSQ Prefolds(i found them rougher and i didn tlike the way they were sewn instead of serged...A tad roungh around the edges), Eropeans(these are flats) and CPFs(chinese prefolds these are the best IMHO)....I get my prefolds from Trisha at www.lilbunz.com because she price matches any lower price and has free shipping..Plus i love her store cause it has everything i need...Prefolds are really really really easy honest once you give them a shot they arent that bad..My husband just trifolds and lays it in the cover thats all hes ever done and weve had nothing but positive experiences...

Fitteds...Some are bulky some arent it all depends on the fit of course and how your son is built..I find my prefolds now alot easier than my fitteds..I have learned to master my MOVING WORM ...LOL

Wool Soaker pants...I love them..Im even taking some this XMAS when we go to the US..I love them cause they are pants and you dont have to use a cover with them..They are your cover...LOL And i definately go out with them...:)

CDing can be cost effective you just have to stick to budget and youll be perfectly fine...

HTH let us know if you have any other questions....

mharling
11-12-2003, 12:52 AM
Prefolds scared me too, but I've gotten used to them! Also, just wanted to mention that I use Kissaluvs contours and I really, really like them. Snappi also just came it with a contour that I want to try. I find the contours to be more trim (and cheaper!) than fitteds.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!

mommyj
11-12-2003, 01:42 AM
It's always great to welcome a new fellow addict into the cult! :)
I love ordering from Colleen at naturalbabies.com. She has great customer service and will price match. She also sells samples, in case you don't know what size to order. I did that when my little man outgrew his newborn dipes and was glad I did because it let me compare two sizes in person. I ordered my UCPFs from her, and they came really quickly. I prefer unbleached because they're softer. Also, they're really easy to use once you get the hang of it. It took me a day or two to get really good at getting them on just right. I always snappi, because my little guy is a pooping machine, and I don't want poo all over his covers.
I just ordered my first pair of wool pants, and I can't wait to try them! I LOVE wool covers, but so far I've only tried Bumpy wool, and we used it at night. I just ordered a wool soaker and a pair of wool pants from Sarah at woolybumbums.com. Some other moms on this site ordered from her, so I decided to do the same. She is a dream to work with. You can mail her a sweater and get a discount, or she also has her own fabrics available. She makes covers and pants from recycled sweaters fabrics, and you can get really cute applique done on both the pants and the covers. I'll post pictures once I get mine. I'm getting wool pants with monkeys on them and a cover with a turtle. I sent her my ideas and she came up with really cute designs. Another site is fluffymail.com. I don't own any of their wool covers, but I felt one at a CD party, and it was really soft.
I'm not sure I would go out in wool, just because of the poo issue again. But, I guess I don't know why I wouldn't, since I never had a leak using Bumpy wool. I do plan to use wool at home during the day and at night, along with the Bummis whisper pants DS already has. I'm going to use my new wool covers over fitted dipes, but I used the Bumpy wool over UCPFs and fitteds.
HTH!

lizajane
11-12-2003, 10:42 AM
>
>Are all prefolds created equal? Do I just go to a website
>and order a bunch in the right size? Or is there a trick to
>these too? Where is the best place to get some. Prefolds
>scare the heck out of me. The pinning/snappis/twisting
>stuff...WHEW!

you will want chinese cotton prefolds in standard size, i believe.
try a dozen to see what you think. there is no trick. a lot of us like naturalbabies.com. and you don't HAVE to pin, snappi or twist! definitely avoid pins. yikes, imho! try a snappi, though. i like mine, but dont' always use it.

good luck!! glad to have you on board!

and for economy- prefolds and PUL covers! can't say it enough!