PDA

View Full Version : HELP GETTING DISCOURAGED WITH WOOL COVERS

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-30-2003, 01:35 PM
...HELP!!!
We are hitting a hard spot here in our CD world, I think our first, but it is major enough that it is pretty discouraging. My prowraps are starting to smell of urine after one use, and even leak around the velcro in the front just a little but enough to drive me batty.

BUT MY WOOL!!! With the exception of the Kiwi-Pie all of my wool covers are letting urine through. I Lanolized with a pack of of the stuff that came with my Bizzy B Hives (which leaked from day one -not blaming them just how I must care for them) ad it has not helped. What can I do????

Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

lizajane
11-30-2003, 01:40 PM
ugh! how annoying! i don't know what to say about wool covers. but maybe you could try some other PULs for emergency times like these when you need to work on the wool? my proraps don't smell at all. i don't know if i use a different cleaning method or what. but i use the heck out of them and i have never had a smell problem. (i am not trying to say that tristan has stinkier pee! LOL!)

maybe you could try a breathable poly? i know you like how wool breathes. nikkys maybe?

i just dunno. but i wanted to say i was sorry!

mommyj
11-30-2003, 01:57 PM
Do you think maybe Tristan has started wetting more (as in quantity, not frequency). If so, maybe you could try a doubler in the diaper so the wool won't have as much to absorb. I'm far from being a wool expert (I've only used Bumpy wool), but I put them over a CPF with a hemp doubler, and we didn't have any leaks. I'm not sure if it was because Dylan isn't a super soaker, or if maybe it was something else.
I don't know anything about Proraps...Sorry!

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-30-2003, 03:15 PM
I wonder if the prowrap issue is just that they have been used a lot, thus washed a lot!!!! Maybe they aren't meant to last this long, they are "2nd quality" but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

And Tristan does have stinky pee that is for certain, I think his poops aren't that bad and we call them "butters" in this household due to that, but his pee sure does "stinky stink stink" !!!! :)

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

Momof3Labs
11-30-2003, 03:52 PM
Neve,

What was in the pack of stuff that you lanolized with? Was it liquid lanolin, or just Eucalan? Maybe you need to use more lanolin?

Do you notice a difference in how soaked Tristan's dipes are when you change him? If so, he might just be peeing more, and need more absorbency in his diaper. If not, it probably is the wool.

And with the stinky Proraps - maybe try a stripping process? Maybe you have some detergent build-up in those areas of the covers, and that is causing the stink.

Leaks are so frustrating!!!!

liya
11-30-2003, 07:28 PM
Ok Neve to help you out with this i need a step by step on what you call lanolizing and what materials you used...Also a good experiemnt would be to let Tristan go coverless to see if hes wetting right through the diaper..If he is then the diaper doesnt hold all his pee and that is what might be causing the leaks..In this case you might need to add some doublers to them...

Honestly please show us what you are doing so we can be of more help. Wool is awsome but it can get increadebly annoying. I know what you mean about the proraps though....

Hope to hear from you soon so we can be of more help..

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-30-2003, 07:53 PM
I used the Euclan that came with my order. I did not use Lanolin (where do I get that anyway)... I washed it per the way it said to and have not had any luck. Most of my wools seemed to do well to a point and then seemed to stop working.

Now T has had a major increase in the amount he is drinking (and eating)...MAJOR...so the idea of another doubler never occured to me. But we use Sam fitteds with the doubler that comes with them so we are "doubled" up...

Any advice. I didn't realize that the Euclan and the Lanolin were different products so that might be the problem.

As far as washing I wash with the 1/2 the amount of detergent, extra soak, agitation, and spin...and then dry...all on hot. I don't do any repeats except for what I have programmed my washer to do.
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

Momof3Labs
11-30-2003, 08:48 PM
Ahhh... Eucalan seems to have enough lanolin to maintain covers for a while (sometimes quite a while) but when you need to lanolize, you need to use the real stuff. You can get it online at most diapering places that sell wool too, or I can bring you some when I come out. Or you can buy it at Wal-Mart or Target - look in the bf'ing section for Lansinoh.

And I don't think that Sam's fitteds are terribly absorbent without an additional doubler. I find that Colin wets through these much more quickly that most of his other dipes. So you might need an extra layer there, too.

So hope is not lost - your wool will serve you again!!

liya
11-30-2003, 09:17 PM
Yup you arent using lanolin..You can either get the lansinoh at walmart like Lori said..Dilute it(agbout 1/4 of an inch) with a tad of baby shampoo..Leave it there for 15 minutes and then wring it dry in a towel...Dont rinse it...This is what lanolizing really means..Eucalan is just for washing them..Lanolizing comes in when they have lost their effect to absorb moisture...

Also are you handwashing your wool covers?? Agitation can felt wool which isnt good either...

Lets see..Add a doubler as well...With Ari(although i loved the fit) i would have to use an extra doubler in a sam fitted...Do the experiment of letting him go coverless with the fitteds and see what happens...

HTH some

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-30-2003, 09:19 PM
Lori,
Thanks!!! Save your stash I'll get some if they sell it at Target or Walmart. So do I get Lansinoh or just if I can't find it in another form. In otherwords is that what I want...or is that a back up if I can't find it in another form????
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

Momof3Labs
11-30-2003, 09:50 PM
I think that liquid lanolin is the "best" but hard to find in stores. Lansinoh is pure lanolin, so it is what you want, you just have to make sure to melt it in hot water (it is kind of thick, sort of like toothpaste, when you start) with a little bit of baby shampoo to keep it from clumping. So either would work!

Good luck!

daisymommy
11-30-2003, 09:54 PM
Also, to help with "stinky pee", one thing that some other moms here suggested (and it worked!) was to add another wash without any detergent. This is basically like adding two more rinse cycles to your diapers, getting any residue out of your Proraps. I have noticed that when I give Josh too much juice and not enough water to dilute his pee it really stinks! Try giving him more water to drink tio dilute the amonia. Our Ped. (and Dr. Sears) recommends water to drink between meals.

JenaW
12-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Neve~

HOw long has Tristan had stinky pee? Is this a new thing, or was it always stinky? Carter had stinky pee a while ago and it turned out that he had a urinary tract infection. His only other symptom was a low grade fever. If it is something fairly recent, you might want to check with your pediatrician.

Sorry I can't help with the wool. We are just starting to use wool, so I am still learning there.

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03

jmofarrill
12-01-2003, 12:12 PM
I found Liquid Lanolin at Whole Foods this past weekend.

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-01-2003, 12:38 PM
I jsut bought the Lansinoh at Walmart, but how am I going to soak these enoough with !/4 inch and a tad of baby shampoo...do I use water??? How much???

Sorry but I need my hand held here...HELP....(and thanks) :)
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

parkersmama
12-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Neve, here's a recent thread with terrific lanolizing instructions!! [link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=8855&mesg_id=8855&listing_type=search|click here for link]

HTH! I tried this on my Aristocrat and it really seemed to help!

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-01-2003, 04:14 PM
I love you...I'm off to lanolize...thank you :)
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

parkersmama
12-01-2003, 05:19 PM
Awww...it feels good to be loved! :) Let us know how they work once you're done!

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-01-2003, 06:09 PM
Their on the deck drying :)...
I noticed the colors bled big time in the water so I had to do each one by itself. My light colored doggy one got a mark where it appeared to look like a streak of the lanolin, but I don't know how it looked melted to me...hope it comes out I love that cover!!!

Wish me luck...I'll keep you ladies posted
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

Melanie
12-03-2003, 03:22 AM
I got a light lanolin spot once, too, it came out the next time I washed.

I liquify my Lanisoh by filling an old, clean applesauce jar with water as hot as my tap will go, then I put in my lanolin (I do about 1/4-1/2" depending on what I'm doing) then a little bit (maybe less than 1/4 tsp. of Eucalan) and shake shake shake shake...since I've started that I haven't had any spotting issues.

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-03-2003, 08:09 AM
so far so good...
must admit I put in extra Lanisoh (or whatever it is called) thinking that should REALLY do it!!!! (I hope that is OK)!!!

Thanks again...
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

Melanie
12-03-2003, 07:26 PM
The worst the extra will do is stain or if you really used too much, it might feel a bit tacky. It's not going to ruin them.