PDA

View Full Version : do disposables desintegrate with pressure changes on airplanes?

cilantromapuche
12-18-2003, 03:14 PM
i am sooo tired so forgive spelling errors! abe and i are flying to argentina for 3 weeks in feb. and i bought some disposables (a case) to take along. someone told me that their diapers desintegrated when the packed them.
i just don't feel that it would be fair to my grandparent's maid to wash abe's cloth diapers and i don't want to lug a pail and all the accesories down there. i would wash the diapers myself but the maid is territorial (she has been with my family for so many years and i don't have the energy for that fight).
i could just buy them there but i worry that the quality is not so great. having grown up there that is my feeling.
how many diapers would i need for 3 weeks anyways? how often does one change dispoables?
TIA

egoldber
12-18-2003, 03:43 PM
I have flown with disposables numerous times (including to the Caribbean and Europe) and never had a problem. Make sure they are packed in something waterproof, so that if the luggage gets rained on, the diapers stay dry.

When I pack disposables, I figure 8 diapers a day to be generous. For 21 days, that would be 168 diapers. So thats like one of the big boxes at Costco. I have seen in airports numerous times where people have just checked the Costco box as luggage!

How old is your baby? For a newborn whose poops are still shockingly prolific, you may want to figure 12 diapers a day.

HTH,

cilantromapuche
12-18-2003, 04:08 PM
abe will be 7 months in feb. in buying his ticket i did not buy him a seat. does this mean i can't have luggage for him? luckily it is summer there and i won't need too much clothes wise. i also don't want to lug a ton of stuff on board.

egoldber
12-18-2003, 04:15 PM
If he does not have a seat, then you have to share your luggage allowance with him!

I would ask your family to check out diapers for you there. Likely they are the same Pampers or Huggies you would get here! Its a small world after all...

kwc
12-18-2003, 11:08 PM
We just got back from Taiwan, and bought Huggies there...
we had a bunch extra and brought them back with us. No disintegrating of those or the Pampers she wore on the way there...

we use a diaper service at home, so I am not too familiar with sposies, but they seemed pretty similar to Huggies here, except they did not have "cloth-like" outside (though it doesn't breathe anyway, so it's just an illusion for parents) but no leaks except one big poop blowout!

Funny thing, although all the writing on the Huggies package is in Chinese, the pictured baby is a blue- eyed blond!

Have a great trip!

Karen