PDA

View Full Version : Sam fitted-prefold-and doubler=still soaked

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-29-2003, 11:07 AM
Goodness...I just started adding a prefold to my sam fitteds during the night atleast, lastnight Steve did the diaper and he actually had tucked in a sam doubler too...

His diaper was drenched!!!!
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

parkersmama
12-29-2003, 11:22 AM
Neve, I think you might need to invest (a little!) in a different nighttime system since he goes so long then without a change. I only have one Sam's fitted and I like the fit but it's not that absorbant even for daytime. And for some reason, my prefolds haven't been holding up too good lately either!

One of the best "systems" I've found for nighttime is a pocket diaper and MOE microfiber inserts. I have 2 FBs that I've been using for a while and almost never have leaks with them. I used to use Joey Bunz with them but they seemed so stiff and started to have a stinky problem. Based on suggestions here, I bought 2 MOE inserts and I love them! They are soft and cushy and with 2 in the pocket dipe they are never soaked through.

Also, lately I've been trying a Firefly Sleep Tight inside an Aristocrat soaker but I don't think it works quite as well as the FBs. I like it (especially the wool soaker) but she is sometimes damp on her clothes because it will sweat a little once it gets very wet. Amy Grace does still eat during the night and she is capable of soaking through the Sleep Tight on a 2-feeding night. :)

HTH!

toomanystrollers
12-29-2003, 04:20 PM
Neve,
Weren't you using firefly sleep tights at night?

Momof3Labs
12-29-2003, 04:38 PM
I'm actually not surprised - that really isn't a very absorbent combination unless you are using a hemp prefold. Colin soaks through 3 JBs most nights!!

ETA: Is Tristan still chugging two bottles at night? Are you changing him at each of those feedings?

liya
12-29-2003, 06:15 PM
Neve i think your sam fitteds have just about gone as far as they can with tristan. Plus even so a prefold isnt the most absorbant thing in the world either so your combo well lets just say wasnt the super absorbant kick that he needed...Did he wake up all peed as well?? I mean aside from the diaper was the outside wet as well.

I dont know what to say Neve honestly but that buying diapers isnt a thing you can do ahead of time ykwim. Babies diape needs change as they grow and a system that was fool proof 3 months ago will probably be full of errors now. I think its time that you try another diape on Tristan and see what works on him NOW. It really bites because you have invested so much in his stash now and honestly i think that sam fitteds are almost as absorbant as a regular CPF with a hemp doubler just my opinion though. They are awsome fitting diapers but not the most absorbant PLUS hemp spreads pee around. Thats how come it can hold so much. Pee doesnt concentrate in just one spot as oposed to a cotton prefold where it does. Thats why you will feel the pee all throughout the diaper as oposed to one spot. Although :( regretfully saying i think the system that you had for T needs to be updated..Maybe sell the ones you have and then use the money you get to buy new ones?? I know how much you have going to the PO though ....
At 10 months i personally loved the RB flags(not the most absorbant either but they worked very well, the FCD bulkier than the flags, and pockets)..Pockets were my thing though...they were quick worked really well and didnt fail me(although to be perfectly honest here ive heard alot of complaints with pocket diapers it just wasnt my experience)...Especially those that were Honey Boy diapers(pockets or AIOs)..Those were awsome ....
I know this doesnt help much :( Also if you are feeding T 2 times a night try changing him in the middle of the night when he takes his 2nd bottle to see if that changes anything..

HTH some dont give up mama everything will be better soon...Hugs

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-29-2003, 06:31 PM
Thank you gals...I do have the sleep tights, but with my laundry schedule (or lack of a schedule I should say) I was out of sleep tights last night-and I do love them. I only have two.

I'm a bad mom when he wakes to feed I do not change him, I actually almost sleep thru them, I am so programmed when he whimpers to give him alittle night cap...I think he drinks maybe one minute and rolls back to sleep. Honest to god my child doesn't seem to notice pee or poop so it appears that he is comfortable in what ever.

I do need a new system...I think you hit the nail right on the head that with age and growth etc... his needs can change...
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties