PDA

View Full Version : which leak less--chinese prefolds, fitted, or aoi's?

sdbc
01-14-2004, 03:21 PM
We're going to try to use cloth diapers on our baby. There are so many options! By far, the chinese prefolds are cheapest, but are they as good? Any specific recommendations?

Thanks!

stillplayswithbarbies
01-14-2004, 03:34 PM
It depends on a lot of factors. A CPF is not going to absorb as much as some fitted diapers or AIOs, depending on how many layers the diaper is made with. On the other hand, a properly put on CPF might fit better than some brands of fitteds or AIOs, and therefore not leak around the legs. And then the cover matters too.

You have to find out what works best for your baby, and you have to try different brands to see what you like and what works for you.

I can put a prefold on in a bikini twist that will hold in poop and pee, but if I don't put a good cover on it, it will leak anyway. I have some fitteds that never leak, but they are so bulky that I can't fit her pants over it. I have an AIO that leaks as soon as she pees a little bit. I have another AIO that will hold "like the hoover dam" as long as she is not sitting down.

I'm sorry this is not much of an answer, but I don't think your question has an answer. My advice is to get some CPFs because they are cheap and start with those and then buy some sampler packs of diapers and read reviews of the WAHM brands to see which ones seem to work for your baby's body type.

This is one reason that people are always buying and selling diapers, they are trying different brands to see what works for them. What you don't want to do is decide on a brand before your baby is here and buy a whole stash of them. They may not work for you at all and then you would be out a lot of money or stuck using something that leaks.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Momof3Labs
01-14-2004, 04:00 PM
I've had the worst time with AIOs. Haven't really used prefolds, and have had good luck with fitteds (primarily because I found some great covers early on).

mommyj
01-14-2004, 04:21 PM
For the newborn stage, infant prefolds and Kissalovs size 0 are the best at containing leaks. It'a slso important to have a good fit in the diaper and the cover. I always snappi my prefolds, because I like that it keeps poo from getting all over the covers. My favorite covers are Bummis whisper pants, because they're great at preventing leaks and they're gentle on your baby's skin. A lot of moms also like Proraps or Green Earth, which are supposed to be softer than Proraps.
I personally don't use AIOs, because I like the security of having a cover to catch anything that leaks out of the diaper. Covers have prevented several major blowouts for us.
HTH!

lizajane
01-14-2004, 08:44 PM
start with prefolds and proraps or green earth covers. wait until something DOESN'T work before you spend a bunch of money on the pricey stuff. most folks i know say that they like their prefolds the best anyway. poop will leak onto the cover, but that is why you get 6 covers! and it will hardly ever leak OUT of the cover, but with sposies you will get blowouts all the time!

i may allow these super gals to talk me into some kissaluvs for my next newborn, but other than that, we stick to prefolds, proraps and fuzzibunz for nighttime.

mamahill
01-14-2004, 08:46 PM
Prefolds or the Motherease Onesize (now that my baby is bigger) with the Motherease Airflow cover. I've only had one leak with the Airflow and it was only recently now that she's drinking almost non-stop and DH "forgot" to change her after 2 hours. Start with the prefolds and move from there.

Oh, and I like the Kissaluvs fitteds as well. But leakage depends on the cover, IMO.

jmofarrill
01-15-2004, 10:14 AM
You've received a lot of good advice already, so I won't add too much to it. CPFs are great because they're so adaptable - you can bikini twist, newspaper fold, angel fold, trifold, etc. With a good cover, you can't go wrong with cpfs. That said, I love, love, love my fitteds - they're so pretty and easy. I have some almost AIOs that are perfect for out and about. Many of us have favorite diapers for certain situations.

Colleen at www.naturalbabies.com has a sampler set that includes a couple of cpfs, covers, a fitted and an aio. Trisha at www.lilbunz.com has a sample pack, too, with even more items in it, but it's more expensive.

Best of success!

sdbc
01-15-2004, 05:58 PM
thanks so much for the input!! i think my best bet will be to try one of the "sampler packs" and see what works for my baby.