PDA

View Full Version : Desperate -- stinky and repelling

tomsgirl
01-16-2004, 10:36 AM
I don't know what to do. Everything stinks, and the hemp is the worst. My fleece is repelling so badly that it's leaving pee droplets on my daughter. I know it isn't detergent build-up. I've stripped twice in the last week, and there are no soap bubbles. I've tried Oxyclean as well, and that didn't work. Please help!!

Daniele

P.S. Is anyone else as aggravated as I am that the MDC boards are down?

Momof3Labs
01-16-2004, 10:41 AM
Yes, I believe that it is build-up. How did you go about stripping your dipes? When I did a big strip, I didn't see suds in the machine either but did a few hot washes (the first with Calgon) and it made a HUGE difference in my dipes!

If it weren't for the fleece, I'd also suggest that you aren't using enough detergent and everything is stinking because it isn't getting clean. But the fleece makes this sound exactly like build-up.

tomsgirl
01-16-2004, 11:00 AM
I wash with so little detergent! We're talking 2 tablespoons here. Okay, how about if I give everything one good wash with a little extra detergent (just in case), then start on some strip cycles. Should I be doing hot/cold or hot/ warm? And where can I find Calgon water softener?

tomsgirl
01-16-2004, 11:16 AM
I use vinegar w/ every wash, and just found this info. COuld this be my problem?

"Tails": The reasons to NOT use vinegar:

In some areas with 'hard water,' there is a chance that vinegar can mix with trace minerals in your water supply, causing your diapers to smell acrid once urinated upon. In which case, you would want to cease using vinegar in your diaper pail/wash.
If you notice a build-up of residue on your diapers or your diapers are not as absorbent AND YOU HAVE NOT been using DREFT or any other detergent with fabric softeners built-in, temporarily cease your use of vinegar. In this situation, vinegar might not be the culprit, but once there is a build-up on your diapers, they will need to be'stripped' before you should continue regular usage of vinegar.
If you notice that your diaper covers are getting stinky, vinegar may be the culprit. Many of today's diaper covers have some polyester in them and polyester easily holds in smells. Vinegar's acidity can react to baby's acidic urine and together, they can release a very acrid smell.

chlobo
01-16-2004, 01:18 PM
i have hard water and also a water softener and all my hemp diapers stink. I dont use vinegar & just a tiny amount of detergent. Not sure what to do.

Momof3Labs
01-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Okay, let's take a step back - why don't you share your wash routine in detail? We have hard water too, so maybe I can help you pinpoint the problem (though that is waaaay too little detergent for hard water, you need more like half a capful).

You can get Calgon water softener at Wal-Mart in the laundry detergent aisle. The liquid and powder supposedly work equally well (I use the liquid).

tomsgirl
01-16-2004, 10:24 PM
I don't know if we have hard water. My DH says that soap rinses off skin fairly easily, whatever that implies. Here's my wash routine:

Wash everything every 2 days.
Soap: Was Arm & Hammer Powder Soap, Now Purex powder soap
Cycle: Longest (2 rinses) cycle using hot/ cold
Rinse: 1/2 cup vinegar
Dry on high heat, except for items containing vinyl, which air-dry

Today I tried more soap (1/2 scoop) and 1/4 cup bleach diluted before dipes went in (no vinegar added for rinse cycle this time). On the following strip cycle, I noticed some bubbles and cloudiness. I'll do one more strip cycle to see what's going on.

toomanystrollers
01-17-2004, 09:24 AM
Take a look at: http://water.usgs.gov/owq/Explanation.html
may give you some insight if the area you live in has hard water.

FWIW, I stopped using vinegar all together. My dipes kept getting a funky smell the minute urine hit them. I stripped them all using a capful of color safe bleach in the initial wash and I haven't had any stink problems since.

If you're definitely in a hard area water, you need to boost your detergent like Lori recommended. Your diapers may not be getting clean enough.

HTH