PDA

View Full Version : Potty training question.

papal
01-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Gals.. when are you thinking of starting potty training for your babes? I was surprised to hear that it is usually around 2 years? In India they start at 6 months (or whenever baby can sit unassisted in the potty).. i was wondering why the difference in age?? I sometimes put Leela in her potty after she feeds and she pees in it.. but poor thing is too small for the Baby Bjorn potty and her entire butt goes inside.. i also have to watch her as she starts sliding after a while... am i crazy to start this early???

todzwife
01-19-2004, 08:03 PM
I was going to start around 2 years, what you are doing sounds more like elimination communication to me. There is a sub-forum in the diapering forum on mothering.com if that is what you are interested in doing.

pritchettzoo
01-19-2004, 08:07 PM
You're not crazy--do whatever works for you! I remember being astonished by the fact that a high school friend's baby brother was already potty trained before he could walk very well (she was Indian).

I'd be interested to hear your method. Do you ever hear of toddlers "rebelling" so to speak and refusing to go to the potty? At what age are babies typically "trained"--do they wear diapers still or are you just fastidious about putting them on the potty very often? I'm really interested, so I hope these questions aren't rude!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

papal
01-19-2004, 08:26 PM
I must look into this Elimination Communication on MDC. I have to go back and ask my mom about how they do the training in India. I am not entirely sure myself. I just thought it was putting the baby on the potty every now and then but maybe its more involved?
I will let you know once i know more.. i just wanted to make sure my expectations were not too high! And ofcourse your question is not rude at all!
What i do know is that by the time they are walking most babies in India are potty trained and you have to start early and put them on the potty frequently and make 'ssssing' sounds when they sit on it to make them go. I don't know if there is more to it than that.
It is easier in India i suppose because the weather is warmer and so they can go diaperless.. also it is not carpeted so cleanup is easy.. plus you always have help to help you cleanup any messes.
Anyway, will let you know more once i ring my mom.

mommyj_2
01-19-2004, 10:44 PM
I'm so glad you posted this. DS is 6 months old now, and I'm thinking of trying to start potty training. I know they teach babies before they're 1 in China and Japan, and I've done a little reading on elimination communication on the MDC boards. My in-laws are coming from China in a few weeks, so I'm hoping they can help out with this.
I read that there's a window of opportunity before 1, and if you miss it, you usually have to wait until your baby is around 2. Do you have the small Bjorn potty? I'm planning to get one, and hopefully my super chunk's butt won't fall inside. LOL
Keep us posted on how it goes, and I'll post if and when I get started.

liya
01-20-2004, 01:29 AM
Here in PR it starts at 1yr old....ECing as well....but by then they can walk etc and imitate you etc...somewhat..LOL most ppl do it at 1yr but other ppl just let it go till whenever...I guess whatever works....Ive heard pros and cons on both sides but since Ari is already trying to immitate his daddy...FUNNY!!! YEAH RIGHT....the messes im going to have to clean.......Well!!! we will say what its for etc...and when he does it he does it..LOL Right now he just sits looks at his dad and laughs his heiny off...:)

daisymommy
01-20-2004, 01:46 PM
I have never done any reading about the way other cultures do potty training. I think it would be very interesting.
That said, most books and experts in the U.S.A are now recommending that parents wait until a child is 27 months. It is said that if you try to pottry train before then, it takes an average of 6 months longer for a child to be completely trained. But of you wait until they are 27 months they usually will be potty trained in a couple of weeks. Meaning they stay dry all day and night, go the potty on their own, etc.

miki
01-20-2004, 04:34 PM
I went to China for the first time last year and I saw toddler babies wearing these pants that are split at the crotch and the babies are bare bottomed underneath. I asked my mom what that was for and she says that's part of potty training. Extra quick for getting the kid to go to the potty because there are no fasteners to undo. Then I read a newspaper article about how in rural areas, it is also acceptable for the kids to just squat wherever they are outside when they feel the urge.