PDA

View Full Version : make your own? What fabric is best?

signsing
03-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Anyone here make their own diapers? I have a pattern for covers and I think I can make some AIOs out of it too. What's the best fabric? I'm thinking about making some fleece covers. I've seen fleece doublers too? Whats the pros and cons of these?
I don't really sew but I think I can do this if I try. I'm sure I can figure it out. I might take a class. I can't remember everything from Home Ec in high school.
Are the covers with snaps better than the velcro? I've only used the velcro kind.
Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

lizajane
03-12-2004, 10:39 PM
as soon as my hemp gets here, i am off and running with making diapers.

PUL is good for covers if you want to ensure a good waterproofing. i only use PUL covers. can't speak to fleece...

hemp is good for the inside of the diaper because it is super absorbant. other choices are sherpa, flannel, and jersey knit.

i am thinking about buying a snap press, mainly for clothes. but i may try it for diapers. i like velcro diapers because you can get an exact custom fit. and snaps pop open on me sometimes.

new_mommy25
03-13-2004, 03:08 AM
Liza, where did you get your hemp? I've been on a mission for hemp fleece but the prices I've found seem a little high. I did find a yahoo group with lower prices but the hemp won't be in stock until next month and it's based in Canada. I want something now!

As for the original post, I love my Sugarpeas fleece cover. It is a single layer Malden Mills.

brookehanna
03-13-2004, 07:49 AM
Liza-

I made a onesie last night with the one hour bodyshirt pattern and used the $9 SnapSetter made by The Snap Source. It worked like a charm. I'll post pics of the onesie and diaper that I made later today.

Brooke

Mom to Jack born 12/28/03

AngelaS
03-13-2004, 03:28 PM
I use hemp fleece from http://www.wildnwoolygoods.com/store/Default.asp She had the best prices of anywhere I found. :D

I use PUL for the outer of the AIOs I made and I used cheap fleece from JoAnns for liners.

My next batch of diapers I may try snaps, so far I've only used aplix.

I've never made fleece aios. The ones I had leaked and I didn't like the bulk personally. :D

liya
03-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Just to add i got a super deal on a snap press..It came with 2000 full set of snaps the dyes for size 16 and 20 and 100 extra snaps for only $99 shipping included. If anyone would like more info email me or pm me...its a super deal its a KAM press....

HTH

em_jon98
03-13-2004, 07:56 PM
OK Linda...I have to know where you got this good of a deal from :).

PM me or email me.

janinegillot
03-14-2004, 01:26 PM
I love our fleece covers. I would recommend using lightweight windpro fleece. It's very water resistant because it's windpro, and because it's lightweight it's not too bulky. I thought http://diapershop.com/ had good prices (9 something per yard). For the inner lining I'd recommend cotton velour because it's so soft. I've made some Poo Pockets diapers with sherpa inners and they get pretty rough over time, but the velour ones are still nice.
Janine

pritchettzoo
03-15-2004, 02:27 PM
Can you get PUL at a regular fabric store or do you have to order it from somewhere online?

Hemp and hemp fleece only online too?

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

AngelaS
03-15-2004, 05:03 PM
I've only found all that online. :P