PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION RE:POCKET DIAPERS-babyblankets specifically

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-14-2004, 11:03 AM
I had my one babyblanket pocket diaper and LOVED it, it did leak once and Steve "discovered the leak" and gave his opinion that it is where the soft (inside fabric) touches up against the PUL. With fingers crossed I continued to use it atleast 10 times with no problem.

Well I just 12 in from my big order and had no problems until again Steve discovered it(I say that because he get mad with the CDing when they leak). The PUL where it touches against the soft had about an inch of wetness around both legs...

I know it is something I am doing wrong, with stuffing, maybe placement since this is not always and others are having huge success. The pocket thing is new to me...HELP!!!!!

These are so PERFECT for us if I can figure this out.
I have been stuffing with one EURO, but evidently my EURO"s are not premium size or toddler size but appear to fit perfectly...is their smaller size the problem?????

I have two PFs in one now and refuse to give him that kind of bulk again, I don't think that fair on his penis!!!!

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

egoldber
03-14-2004, 11:24 AM
Neve, one prefold is probably not enough right now. And two prefolds is very bulky, I agree. That's why a lot of us love the microfiber inserts and the hemp inserts. You get a lot of absorption with much less bulk.

To keep the cost of the inserts down, you can use microterry/microfiber cloths that are available at WalMart and Costco. The ones at Walmart or 5 or 6 to a pack for $5. The ones at Costco are about 12 for $9, but they are a bit bigger and may need to be folded down a little to make them fit in the pocket diaper. They fit fine with no folding in my large FBs, but in my large BabyBlanket pockets, I have to fold them slightly.

Or you could use one prefold and one microfiber insert. That may work well too.

HTH,

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Thank you for responding...
Where in the stores do you find these, I don't even know what they are or what I would be looking for???? Are they "wash cloths"...
Costco is too far to go there, but our Wally World is down the road...
Thank you I will try that. I know you all have discussed these before but I never followed since I didn't think it pertained to me, and now wish I had :)...

Thanks!!!
So it sounds like you think the leakeage is just lack of absorption in my insert and not that the two fabrics touching are wicking????
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

egoldber
03-14-2004, 11:44 AM
They are actually in the automotive section! They are used for washing cars!

My theory on whats happening is that the insert gets saturated and then startes to wick. One of the prime places for wicking is at the seam. By its nature, that is the "weakest" point in the diaper.

Another thought. Have you dried them in the dryer? When you sew the diaper together, the machine needle actually leaves small holes in the PUL. Drying the diaper can help seal those holes.

But regardless, I would give the other inserts a try. They are remarkably trim and I think you will prefer them to a prefold anyway.

HTH,

calebsmama03
03-14-2004, 02:56 PM
Just wanted to say that you can also get the Walmart microfiber towels at Sams - 20 for about $9! They are blue and white and beware that the blue DOES bleed but they are a great deal.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Are these things a complement to the PFs or inplace of them...or potentially both...

ALSO if I was giving advice to a new mommy who has NEVER even seen a CD would I suggest these over even a PF purchase

ALSO if SAMS, COSTCO and WalMart were all side by side is one "brand" of them preferred over the other???

Thanks ladies!!!

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

stillplayswithbarbies
03-14-2004, 05:25 PM
the Costco ones are bigger, so that may be a factor one way or another.

I can barely fit the Costco ones in a medium Fuzzibunz, I have to scrunch it down to make it fit. But the WalMart/Sams ones fit fine with room to spare.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

sweetbasil
03-14-2004, 06:27 PM
>Are these things a complement to the PFs or inplace of them...or potentially both...

Neve, I stuff with combinations of several different things:
2 microfiber towels (trifolded) or
2 hemparoo joeybunz or
1 microfiber towel and 1 JB or
1 nighty newt from littlelounginglizards or
2 littlelounginglizards doublers (these work just like JBs, IMO) or
when all those are in the diaper pail, awaiting laundry day ;)

...then I'll use a prefold. They're just too bulky for my liking with a prefold, but they work in a pinch.

I will say, however, that having started CDing when Charlie was already in premiums, I don't have any infant prefolds to stuff with; the other side of that is that I have picked not to buy infant cpfs for the time being, and would rather build up my stash of the other stuffers I like.

HTH ;)

liya
03-14-2004, 08:28 PM
I also think that the prefolds might not be enough. Have you talked to liza?? I know she was getting a shipment of hemp and she was going to make some stuffins for pockets maybe she can make you some of hemp if you buy the fabric and send it to her?? I cant talk about the microfiber towels i havent tried them sorry..What i have tried is a trifold type prefold from doodlebottoms that is a boy(targeted in the front) prefold and keeps things nice and trim and absorbs..

Thing with pockets is. If the insert gets compressed it will wick through the legs. So over stuffing it or stuffing it with something that has less absorbancy may cause it to wick. I know i have told you this before but T-man sounds like a big time super soaker..I also agree about giving them a get go in the dryer..Also get some Nickwax or some Atsko waterproofing spray this will make them NOT WICK AT ALL i guarantee it....

HTH some

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-14-2004, 11:04 PM
Where have folks said they bought those things in the US, have you heard any names dropped on where to get them...
...and what are the instructions to use them...

I'll have all of this mastered right in time for potty training I have no doubt!!!! :)
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

liya
03-15-2004, 12:34 AM
I dont know locally I do know through the net..LOL They sell the atsko stuff here http://www.angelwraps.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl?DT=26 and the Nickwax here http://www.nikwax-usa.com/. You cal look for a dealer near you and then you wont have to pay shipping :o) ... Its the tent and gear for plain PUL and the cotton proof one if your have any AIOs or pockets with prints on them.. :o)

HTH

sweetbasil
03-15-2004, 10:15 AM
One of those links from Linda, I believe, offers a "local vendors in your area" search...it turned up Sun And Ski Sports in Houston, and maybe Oshmann's Sporting Goods, too.

parkersmama
03-15-2004, 03:31 PM
Neve, I usually stuff my Baby Blanket dipes with hemp prefolds from Doodlebottoms. They fit perfectly (tri-folded) and are very trim. No leaks! I also dry my BB pockets in the drier every other wearing or so...per her instructions. They have worked great. The one and only leak I've had was when I overstuffed the diaper. I do not use these for nighttime because I can't get enough absorbancy in there without it being overstuffed and leaking. So, for night it's either FBs or FF Sleep Tights right now. HTH!

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-15-2004, 07:23 PM
I don't know if I will ever own another diaper...I love these. They are AQUA with a soft "microsuede" BLUE inside!!!!!
No leaks since yesterday and that one!!!!
Rebecca is the GREATEST...she wouldn't even let me pay until I decided that they were OK...she honest to god has the most incredible ethic to her!!!!

I have dried them today too....
Neve
Feb 25, 2003