PDA

View Full Version : Rash?

jojo2324
03-19-2004, 12:24 AM
It's normal for their butts to take some time to "get used" to CDing, right? Sorrel's tush is okay, but Gannon's quite red. :( And not too happy when it comes time to change. How long does the "breaking in" time last? I smear them with vaseline at each change. (Or am I doing something wrong and they have a rash because of my mistakes?!?!)

Momof3Labs
03-19-2004, 12:29 AM
That doesn't sound right - they shouldn't get a rash while getting "used to" cloth. Maybe it is your detergent, or maybe you are using too much detergent. Do you notice it with every type of diaper, or is it worse with certain types? If it is really bad, you might go back to sposies until the rash clears up, and then you can systematically figure out what causes the rash.

jojo2324
03-19-2004, 12:45 AM
Oh no!! :( He is really red right now.

Sorrel has a little rash - and has since she was born. But hers is nowhere near what Gannon's is. Today he was only in FBs, but yesterday was a combo of FBs and IPFs with covers. The rash is definitely worse today.

I could have sworn I read here that starting out, a rash was normal. These dipes haven't hit detergent yet - they've only been primed. I didn't think I needed to use detergent for the "fluff up" washings. I have All Free and Clear, after reading about issues with Arm and Hammer Fabricare, which is of course the detergent we use normally. The loads I washed today I used a third of the amount I should have for the load.

Cripes, I really like FBs...:(

todzwife
03-19-2004, 12:52 AM
Could it be a fleece allergy? Maybe try just the prefolds- or *gasp* disposables fir a few days and see if that helps...?

daisymommy
03-19-2004, 01:38 AM
Uh-Oh! I hate to tell you this, but you were supposed to use detergent to wash them with initially! Use 1/4 -1/2 the normal amount. Make sure you rinsethem really well afterward (I do a regular wash cycle with nothing in it so it's really 2 rinses). Also...brace yourself, there are some children who are allergic to fleece, but I'll cross my fingers for you that this isn't the case. Sometimes ALL Free& Clear leaves a residue on diapers, mainly fleece, so pay close attention if they start feeling waxy or oily at all. I would wash everyhing with 1/4 capful of detergent, then do an extra rinse. Toss in the dryer on hot. I'll be routing for ya!

And Joanne, thanks for the sweet email. Joshua is sick right now, so my computer time is pretty limited (it's after midnight right now and I just got online!). But I'll get back to you as soon as I can. :)

toomanystrollers
03-19-2004, 07:17 AM
No rashes here during the initial conversion. Definitely go and rewash using minimal detergent. What are you using on Gannon's rash? I like Burt's bees or anything with calendula in it.

hth

Rachels
03-19-2004, 09:39 AM
A second to those ideas, and breastmilk works wonders on diaper rash. Poor Gannon!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Calmegja2
03-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Both of my kids rashed when we first switched, but I switched detergents, and no more problems.

You've gotten great ideas...hopefully you can straighten it out...

jojo2324
03-19-2004, 10:27 AM
Thanks Amy. Can I put the FBs in the dryer though? I've been air drying them.

EVERYTHING needed detergent? I just washed and washed and dried everything several times, then brought it out for the CD extravaganza...:(

I have heard that some kids react to fleece. I've used FBs on him a few times before this, like a tester period, and...he got a rash then too. Crap crap crap. I just thought that since it was only a brief amount of time, and I wasn't doing it full time, the rash was to be expected. The prefolds I just don't see working for me and Gannon. He is too wiggly, and the whole apparatus is dismantled.

I've been doing cold soak cycle, cold rinse/hot wash cycle, then a cold extra rinse. Then all the diapers go in the dryer on hot, and the covers I hang dry. I only use a 1/3 cap of detergent.

LOL, Rachel, I've used breastmilk on my kid's eyes, but never thought to use it on his bum. :)

daisymommy
03-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Umm, yes. Unfortunately everything needed detergent for the initial washes. Even the Kissaluvs before Sorrel wears them. Maybe that will help with the rashes and redness?

As far as FuzziBunz go, the first time you wash them, dry in the dryer just till dry (don't bake them!), this will help seal any holes in the fabric from the needle during sewing. But after that, you can hang them to to dry to help them last longer. BUT once a month, toss them into the dryer to help re-seal/waterproof them (it's a long scientific explanation as to why this works--but it does. I'll try to find the link to the post where this was discussed).--Edited to add: I can't find the old post about this.

Your wash routine sounds perfect, BTW.

I'm guessing that since Gannon and Josh were twins seperated at birth ;), and I cannot for the life of me get him to hold still long enough for a prefold either--that I wouldn't even stress yourself out trying :). We use fitteds and covers when it's a "good day" and All-in-ones and pockets 75% of the time to save my sanity! Check out my post about using fleece pants as a cover, that may help you too:http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=14556&mesg_id=14556&page=

It can only get better from here! :D