PDA

View Full Version : Help an adoptive mom plan cloth diapering options!

holliam
03-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Okay, we are definitely doing cloth diapering, and most likely going to do home laundering.

We are eagerly awaiting the referral of our newborn daughter *any* day now! She will be from Guatemala, and she will be in private foster care while our case proceeds the court system. We have no control over her diapering options while there.

We don't know how old she'll be when she comes home. The average age is 6-9 months, but it could be as short as 4 months or as long as 12 months.

I know I can't buy most things until I know her weight, size, etc. and a rough idea of her age. But, I am so afraid we'll be rushing so many things at the end.

What things can I buy now in anticipation of cloth diapering a roughly 6-9 month old? Should I just get some inserts, non-disposable wipes, figure out how I'm going to launder. Is there anything else I can do in advance?

I bought a great book called "Diaper Changes" that covers most of the current options. I think we're going to like fleece/wool covers but beyond that I haven't figure anything out yet really!

Help!

toomanystrollers
03-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Hi Holli,
FWIW, I'm sure plenty of us here can hook you up with our online favorites with fast turn-around. I bet you can easily get going with covers and cpf's in less than a week.

Congratulations on your daughter-to-be :)

janinegillot
03-21-2004, 12:34 AM
You'd probably be safe buying medium things. I'd skip small just in case, but babies wear medium for quite a while. And I agree that fleece (especially windpro) covers are great. My favorites are from Sugar Peas (http://sugarpeas.chainreactionweb.com/index.php?cPath=2)
Janine

MartiesMom2B
03-21-2004, 09:56 PM
Holli:

Several of us in the area use cloth diapers, including me. If you would like to look at some diapers up close and personal let me know. I can show you my stash.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

holliam
03-22-2004, 10:13 AM
Oh Sonia, that would be awesome. It's so hard to just look at these things online and imagine!

Holli

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-22-2004, 11:56 AM
If you buy mediums (which I would do) ask the seller to add a little something to cover the smaller size ranges. This might be an extra snap, a extra bit of velcro...just a little something that lets you milk the size longer...
Most will do this free I have noticed!!!!

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties