PDA

View Full Version : considering cloth--advice appreciated

crl
03-21-2004, 10:56 PM
Hi,

Hope you can stand more questions from a newbie. We're adopting from China and hoping for a referral in June and travel in August. Right now I'm guessing that our child (most likely a girl) will be one or so on gotcha day.

I think I'd like to cloth diaper, but this is going to have to be super easy for dh (and me). So, I'm thinking all-in-ones with doublers for night? Is this a reasonable approach? Other suggestions? I'm a total newbie so please tell me if I'm totally off-track!

Suggestions for brands and sources? (I'd like plain white diapers.)

Thanks for your thoughts!

egoldber
03-21-2004, 11:12 PM
Rather than all-in-ones (AIOs), how about pocket diapers instead? The beauty of these is that they are as easy as an AIO, but you can customize the absorbancy to the needs (and changing needs) of your child.

Some pockets fit some babies better than other, but a good way to be "prepared" might be to assemble your own sampler pack of pockets, try them when you bring your baby home and order more fo what works?

Some to try include:

Fuzzibunz (snap closure)
Happy Heinies (velcro closure)
thebabyblanket.com (similar to the HHs)

I know a lot of folks here are really liking Daisy Doodle pockets, but I've never tried those.

You can stuff these very cheaply with microfiber inserts from WalMart or Costco.

HTH,

sweetbasil
03-21-2004, 11:17 PM
Congratulations on your little one on the way :) I hope this is a very happy summer for your family!

Having made the switch from completely diapering with sposies for DS#1, and using them on DS#2 for 6 months, we were looking for an easy option in CDing. After 3 months of CDing (the most fun we've ever had with diapers yet!) we're pocket devotees. Our AIOs are great for ease of use during the day and when we're out and about, but it's all pockets (FuzziBunz, Happy Heiny's, Little Cush diapers from www.thebabyblanket.com, or our newest fave, www.knickernappies.com, which are really like FBs) for us at night.

Pockets are great b/c they've got the ease of sposies, but you can customize the absorbancy based on baby's needs during different times of the day.

We have gotten our FBs and HHs from Colleen at www.naturalbabies.com and Trisha at www.lilbunz.com. With some patent issues here lately, I'm not sure if they're both still carrying FBs and HHs, but you can always shop around, and both brands should be pretty easy to come by, especially in white.

Aherne at knickernappies has a try-me dipe that's white on the outside, and either white microfleece or khaki malden mills fleece on the inside, for $8. Quite a deal, if you can get your hands on one!

FBs and knickernappies come with snaps; the Little Cush (babyblanket) and HHs are applix (hook and loop/velcro closure), which are a little more like most sposies.

Then we've shopped at different places for soakers- Joeybunz hemparoos and MOE microfiber inserts (from naturalbabies, I think), microfiber towels from the automotive section at WalMart, and cloth prefolds all work great for stuffing pockets.

Welcome to the adventure of discovering CDs :) We look forward to seeing you here more often!

Edited to add: I must've been composing my little novel here while Beth was posting- sorry for the duplication! Incidentally, Daisy-Doodles are AIOs, and are quite trim (much like the Little Cush diapers), and are great for waketimes, but not something I'd use for naps/overnight.

HTH,

crl
03-22-2004, 03:31 PM
I appreciate your advice!
Thank you,