PDA

View Full Version : Will a wool cover allow for more air/ventilation?

netarc
03-22-2004, 04:13 AM
After CD'ing our DD (Lila, who joined us 02.18.04!) for the first 3wks (w/the occasional disposable), we were dismayed to find that she'd developed a rash :( When we saw the Dr., though, she confirmed that it was actually a yeast infection .. doh!

Well, we've been using Lotrimin on Lila for the past week, and the rash has gotten _significantly_ better ... but it's not been an auspicious beginning for our CD experience :( Further, the Dr. advised us to use more absorpent dispoables until the infection was gone, to keep her bottom drier.

Right now we're using CD's 1/2 the time, and dispoables the other 1/2. However, I'm starting to think our stash of ProWraps/LiteWraps is not going to be conducive to keeping Lila rash/infection free (as they seem pretty bad at air circulation).

I thought I'd read that wool covers tend to be better at ventilating baby's bum? Is that true? Can anyone suggest recommended brands/sites for wool covers (our daughter is currently @ 7lbs, and has lil' chicken thighs ;) ... so would be looking for a cover w/that type fit).

toomanystrollers
03-22-2004, 07:53 AM
Wool will definitely help with air circulation - along with no cover at all.

Check out www.sugarpeas.com - I bet there are some smalls available.

HTH

parkersmama
03-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Also check out the fleece at SugarPeas. They are awesome and *very* breathable!

todzwife
03-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Yup! Thats why we are using 99% wool this summer. D gets a heat rash in the nylon pull up covers cuz he's such a hot kid! :)

signsing
03-22-2004, 06:29 PM
You might try putting some fleece in too! A fleece liner next to her skin should keep it drier.
Also some air time or coverless is a good idea.
Good luck
Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

netarc
03-22-2004, 07:33 PM
>Wool will definitely help with air circulation - along with
>no cover at all.
>
>Check out www.sugarpeas.com - I bet there are some smalls
>available.
>

Thanks for the recommendation of sugarpeas - checking them out, and my try one of each wool/fleece cover.

However, I have a prefernce for covers with velcro/applix closing? Anyone know of any wool or fleece covers like that?

new_mommy25
03-22-2004, 08:10 PM
I have a wool side aplix cover from orangeblossombaby. I also have an aplix cover from Angelwraps that I like. Wool jersey is softer than wool flannel. I think sugarpeas only has wool flannel right now though she might have stocked more. You can also get an aplix or pull on cover from woolybumbums. She will make it to fit your DD like a glove, so that might be best for her since she is so small. Sarah is a joy to work with.

Also, its been said before, but while you're at home I would go coverless as often as possible.

netarc
03-22-2004, 09:10 PM
Ooot! So I just thought of something - can wool and fleece covers be washed w/the other ones in the machine, or do they have to be hand-washed?!?

BTW, what (if any) advantage does a wool cover have over a fleece one?

Thanks for the orangeblossom, angelwraps and wooly bumbums recommendations - I'll check them out now!

netarc
03-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Also, its been said before, but while you're at home I would go coverless as often as possible.

So when going coverless, what fold is the best at keeping all the contents *in*?

We alternate between the standard tri-fold and the bikini twist ... the former is prone to poop out the sides (thigh area), but the bikini twist may be better at keeping solids in?

Any other fold-to-keep-contacts-within suggestions?

toomanystrollers
03-22-2004, 09:23 PM
I wash my fleece covers with my regular laundry - helps keep all the diaper lint off the fleece.

And my wool covers, I wash by hand or on delicate with "Eucalan" wool wash - do not use "Woolite" - it will strip the lanolin right out of your covers.

IMO, the advantage of wool over fleece: wool is a natural fiber while fleece is synthetic.

HTH

parkersmama
03-22-2004, 11:09 PM
I have a front aplix wool cover from Wooly BumBums and it's terrific! It fits perfectly and is soft as can be. :)

Also, I prefer fleece to wool because it's just easier to care for (although wool isn't that hard!) and I think it doesn't have the smell problems that I occasionally find with wool.

daisymommy
03-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Wool covers can be used for up to 10 days if they are not soiled on, before they need to be washed.

It can store water vapour up to 35 per cent of its own dry weight yet it remains dry to touch and speeds up the body's own cooling system.

While absorbent, it still remains breathable, allowing for a maximum amount of circulation around baby's bum. This helps prevent diaper rash, but also alleviates the health concerns of trapped heat within a diapering system.

Naturally antibacterial. Shortly following diaper changes, wool covers may smell of urine, however a system of rotating and airing them out will cause the smell to dissipate completely. Why is this? The same natural properties of lanolin that allow wool to be virtually waterproof pull double-duty as an anti-bacterial, thus killing germs.

by Heather L. Sanders
diaperhyena.com

netarc
03-23-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks all for your info & advice!

To start out with, I purchased a couple of fleece covers from sugarpeas, and a couple from Sarah @ woolybums.

Thx again!