PDA

View Full Version : Dry skin

chlobo
03-24-2004, 07:19 AM
I just noticed that DD has dry skin on her bum. Anybody have a favorite remedy they use for this?

Speaking of dry skin, do folks here moisturize their babies?

Calmegja2
03-24-2004, 09:34 AM
Aquaphor...

I do moisturize all my kids, but that's because their parents gavethem stock in the dry skin genetic factory. My skin's been dry my whole life, as is their father's.....

I use Aveeno for everyday moisturizing for them, but Aquaphor on baby butts... ;-)

joemama
03-24-2004, 03:03 PM
Burt's Bees Skin Creme...it's the best for bums, IMO! :) And it smells so yummy!!!

And I love Burt's Bees Apricot Oil for after bath massages. I moisturize my kids skin with either the Apricot Oil or the Buttermilk Lotion every day. My kids smell good enough to eat, and they don't look too shabby, either! :)

BTW, the Skin Creme is awesome as a styling gel for babies' hair. No yucky preservatives or chemicals added.

joemama...and ellie, too!

pritchettzoo
03-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Aquaphor on the bum and wherever else looks dry after a bath or when I'm getting her dressed.

We use Gentle Naturals Baby Eczema Cream for her face, behind the ears, and on a couple of patches on her hands. The Aquaphor didn't help at all there, but it works great otherwise.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

lag555
03-24-2004, 03:34 PM
We also use Aquafor. My pediatrician recommended it to us and it works really well on all dry skin.

It also is pretty good for mild diaper rash.

mharling
03-24-2004, 04:49 PM
We use Aquaphor for the bum and Eucerin for dry spots anywhere else. His legs were really dry last week and using Eucerin daily has made a HUGE difference.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

parkersmama
03-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Same as everyone else...aquaphor! I also love Burt's Bees apricot oil and often use it for a quick after bath massage.

marinkitty
03-25-2004, 12:00 AM
We slather (and I mean SLATHER -- DD gets so dry) Eucerin everywhere but the bum. It does wonders! For the bum - it varies - sometimes aquaphor, sometimes triple paste, sometimes desitin - depends on what is going on down there!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

brookehanna
03-25-2004, 06:40 AM
Looks like I need to go get some Aquaphor. Jack's skin in the past week has turned into sandpaper. Is this excema? The spots are only slightly pink/red with dry patches. He has it on his belly, arms and legs. I've got Burt's buttermilk lotion and apricot oil..will try an oil bath today.

Brooke

Mom to Jack born 12/28/03

chlobo
03-25-2004, 06:50 AM
I think I just heard aquafor's stock go up LOL. Looks like that's the one to try.

jmofarrill
03-25-2004, 12:27 PM
I'm going to chime in on the Burt's Baby Bees! That stuff is awesome on Anwyn. We use the Buttermilk lotion and the Skin Cream, both of which keep Anwyn's skin super soft and help heal any chapping on her hands, knees, and feet. Plus she smells yummy afterwards, too! LOL

lynettefrancois
03-25-2004, 10:46 PM
I bought some too, but then I got home and looked at the ingredient list and was a little disappointed, especially for the price. It's great for a diaper barrier cream, but I wouldn't put it anywhere it could be eaten (just smell it). Somewhere on the boards someone suggested only putting stuff on the skin that's ok to eat, like olive oil (I'm using this right now because we've had thrush for 2 months and it's not supposed to feed the yeast, unlike most creams/lotions). I thought it made sense, just in case. HOWEVER the Burt's Bees oil does smell great so I use that sometimes, and so do a lot of other products. I'm a Paula Begoun fan (author of Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me). You can find lots of skin care info at her website, www.cosmeticscop.com or peruse her book at the bookstore and you'll get all the info you need. She doesn't like anything with added scents because they are usually irritants, but I don't think this is a big deal unless you are dealing with sensitive/irritated skin. I have eczema so I was worried DD would have it as well. Also, try to use a bath soap that's not drying, like Cetaphil cleanser (it's not strong enough for really bad dirt, so I use Aveeno baby for anything that needs an actual soap). HTH!