PDA

View Full Version : Proraps alternatives

DebbieJ
03-25-2004, 02:29 PM
We've kept things pretty simple thus far: CPFs and Proraps during the day and FB at night.

I'm not totally happy with the Proraps lately. The elastic is leaving red marks, almost welts, along Brendan's back. And he's not a chunky kid--probably 12 or 13 lbs and he's wearing the smalls, which are supposed to go to 14 lbs.

I'm looking for some other cover alternatives for daytime that are a little friendlier. Any suggestions?

~ deb
mommy to brendan 12/7/03

kensjen
03-25-2004, 02:44 PM
I also have loved Green Earth covers and bumpy covers. You can buy or look at (LOL) either at www.lilbunz.com I like that they have gussets, but seem "softer" on DS legs...which ARE chubby!

Of course there is always wool....if that is something you'd like to try.

HTH!

liya
03-25-2004, 04:15 PM
ITA !! Green earths are a tad less binding on Ari and the bumpys are realy nice as well... Ive begun to realize that i love PUL covers that are lined with micro and binded in fleece. They are just so nice and plushy against his skin, but they do cost about $12 the green earths should do just fine...I would suggest bummis as well...

papal
03-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Two words: BUMPY DAYS!!!

They have a knockoff of the Bumpy Days on Naturalbabies.com for $6. I just got one and it is almost the same except it is not as trim, runs large (so size down) and has a snap on the wings along with the velcro.

mharling
03-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Rashmi -
I've been wondering about the Bumpy Day knockoff since it's so much cheaper. What is the snap for? Would you buy one again or are you loyal to the Bumpy's?

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

parkersmama
03-25-2004, 05:44 PM
Another big fan of Bumpy Days here! We switched to them from Proraps for the same reasons you mentioned and still got a lot of wear from the small Bumpys before needing the mediums.

papal
03-25-2004, 06:10 PM
Mary,
I am not sure that the snap is really useful. The velcro is pretty strong. Maybe as a preventive measure incase the baby knows how to de-velcro?
I have not used it yet (it is a bit large for Leela and i just got it yesterday) but it is almost exactly like a Bumpy and i would definitely buy it again if it works. The print is not the greatest (an elephant, dog, duck, turtle tied together with a green rope??) but for the price it is worth it!

mudder17
03-25-2004, 08:58 PM
I must be slow...where on the website can you find the Bumpy Day knockoffs?

Thanks!

Eileen
mother of beautiful Kaya, 2/22/04
http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

papal
03-25-2004, 09:01 PM
They are called LiteWraps
http://store.naturalbabies.com/products/results2.asp?Cat=DiaperCovers

mudder17
03-25-2004, 09:08 PM
Great! Thanks. I've placed my order...just what I need...to spend more money. LOL!

Edited to add:
Actually, I do have the white ones, which I ordered long ago, but there in medium, so they're huge on Kaya right now (she's only 10 pounds). So I *have* to get a couple of the print ones in small.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

netarc
03-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Well, I was feeling pretty dang foolish in stocking up on ProWraps (heh, we've probably got 6+ smalls and 3-4 mediums!). Although they worked well the first week or so, it didn't seem like they worked any better than the LiteWrap, and very shortly I just got sick of the plastikky feel. Worse, the elastic was pretty binding on Lila's waist; and they were also a little tough to "install."

During that time we'd also been using a single LiteWrap, and that proved an _excellent_ cover!! Fits great, easy install, and not bad looking/feeling. Also very much liked the Bummis Super Whisper Wrap we got ... the star baby pattern is pretty slick ;)

Recently we've been alternating between the LiteWrap, Bummis and a homemade wool cover ... and we have a handful more of wool/fleece covers on order. I think we're going to try the wool/fleece 3/4-time for a while, because Lila's had a persistent diaper rash for over a week :(

kwc
03-26-2004, 03:08 AM
We stopped using the Proraps for the same reason... I could barely fit the waist tabs around my skinny 12 lb 4 month old DD but the legs left gaps! At that point, I bought Bumpy Day small, Litewrap (and Snapiwrap) small, a Nikky medium, and Green Earth mediums... some were a bit too big for me to use immediately though. My
DD is now 7 mos but only 14 1/2 lbs and I still use all these covers over prefolds during the day.
The GEs run large so she is still swimming in them (medium supposedly for 13-25 lbs) so a small GE might fit your son now, as would a Bumpy Day (11-17 lbs) or the Nikky (though the Nikkys are so trim that my DH doesn't tuck in the prefold sometimes and we have wicking issues). I like the Litewrap/ Snapiwrap though it is not as soft as the Bumpy but at 14 lbs she is just now in the middle of the size range so they might be a bit big on your son (supposedly for 10-15 lbs but we can still fit a double diaper in this one at night if needed) but would probably be a good place to start (the deep gussets make it easy to fit even if big). In general, I like the softness of the Bumpys (which are lined) and GEs the best, though the LItewraps are fine.

Hope this helps... I know how frustrating it is to buy covers and not have them fit _now_!

Karen

DebbieJ
03-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Well, I bought a bunch of covers yesterday from Colleen at natural babies, so we'll see what works.

I bought:
LiteWrap Cover, Small Primary Print
Bumkins Diaper CoverPrints, Small Yellow Bugs
BummisIndustrial Super Whisper Wrap
Bumpy Day Cover, Small Sealife

I can't wait til they get here! I'll also have to check out Nikkys. Where can I find them?

~ deb
mommy to brendan 12/7/03

kwc
03-26-2004, 02:51 PM
Babyworks.com! they have a great return policy, too!

Hope you like your new covers! My DH always reaches for the Bumpy Day first, probably because of the zoo print.

netarc
03-26-2004, 03:18 PM
>Babyworks.com! they have a great return policy, too!
>
>Hope you like your new covers! My DH always reaches for the
>Bumpy Day first, probably because of the zoo print.
>
>

Thanks for the babyworks.com reference, KWC! I've been looking for some long-sleeved T's and onesies for our daughter, and they have 'em!

w00t!

kwc
03-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Hmmm.... stocking up on longsleeves for summer in the City, huh Netarc?

Hope you like them... I haven't bought their clothes before but they look cute!

netarc
03-27-2004, 04:26 PM
>Hmmm.... stocking up on longsleeves for summer in the City,
>huh Netarc?
>
>Hope you like them... I haven't bought their clothes before
>but they look cute!

Hahaha, yah, figured I'd get some just in time for the temp drop ;)

BTW, I also ordered the wool covers you recommended (not the Nikkys, but the Nijis (sp?), since Lila's thighs are a tad chickeny, and the website says the latter work better for thinner kids).

Ended up ordering only 1x shirt, though ... $11 for a single lap shirt seems a bit much :(

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-27-2004, 05:13 PM
what brand is pul w/micros and fleece...???????
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

liya
03-27-2004, 10:24 PM
Doodle Bottoms..but i know that sugarbums makes them and almost any wahm you ask can make them that way. THey just take alot more time..They can also be serged and lined in micro which is also good. But i so preffer the fleece binding...

mudder17
03-28-2004, 12:47 AM
Funny thing about having a print. I asked DH about buying some print bummis and he said that it didn't matter what they looked like, just get the cheapest ones (the plain white ones). Well, since I wanted to try them out, I got one of each (froggy and white). Funny thing is, I just found out that he always reachs for the froggy ones first because at night, he doesn't need too much light to figure out the inside from the outside! :) The two literaps I got at naturalbabies are the print ones.

Oh, and just like many of you here, I initially liked the prorap colors (not as plasticky feeling as the classics, since they're made of nylon instead of PUL), but the leg gussets are definitely difficult to make leak proof without cutting off circulation from my 10 lb DD's waist. I thought it was just because the PFs were too thick, but the Bummis easily fit around the PFs, even with a doubler, and the leg gusset are much gentler around the legs.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004