PDA

View Full Version : Yet more microfiber towel questions

nitaghei
03-26-2004, 12:05 PM
And yes, I did search the archives, but didn't get an exact answer.

Would a FB stuffed with a single Walmart microfiber towel be enough for about 2 hours during the day for a light to moderate wetter? Any one use 2 of these towels together? And, is a single wash enough to prep them?

I'm getting set to order some FBs and trying to figure out how many, if any, JBs I need to get.

Despartely trying to build up my stash for use at daycare! Just ordered 3 Daisy-doodles - and I should be set with some FBs.

TIA

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

mharling
03-26-2004, 01:01 PM
It may be, but I'd test it out at home first. Lane is not a heavy wetter and I stuff a pocket dipe with 2 for naptime just to be safe. I just washed them once before use.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-26-2004, 01:48 PM
They've worked for us with a PF in a pocket...and I have also only once tested just two of the micros in the pocket and that worked too...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

sweetbasil
03-26-2004, 02:15 PM
We use two- I sewed them together for ease of use (they're really staticy--- if that's even a word).

And instead of buying a bunch of doublers from Daisy Doodles, I purchased one or two, then cut out more from Walmart towels. I hate to take $ from Christa, but this is the Baby Bargains board...though you wouldn't know it with all the contagious spending I've been susceptible to around here- and not just in the CDing forum ;)

houseof3boys
03-26-2004, 02:20 PM
Great idea on sewing them together! You are a crafy one Julie.

And yes, staticky is a word! :)

nitaghei
03-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks everyone! Will try out 1 or 2 towels in the FB this weekend and see what happens. At daycare, DS gets changed at about 9.30 am and then again before his nap - about 11.30 am. I was thinking a JB+ microfiber towel for the nap dipe, but 1 towel or 1 JB for the first one. I've done one JB with no problem at all.

Right now I have 2 FBs, 4 JBs and a pack of 5 microfiber towels. I guess I could always get more from Walmart - I just hate going there, and in fact got DH to get these so I wouldn't have to go. And I have to get some more FBs - just have to figure out how many. Maybe 6?

And I did get extra inserts for the Daisy-Doodles. I have been VERY, VERY good - absolutely NO fluffy mail since I got my stash together 7 months ago or so. But I'm trying not to go overboard! Really!

Nita

Momof3Labs
03-26-2004, 04:59 PM
Nita, the one thing I found about microfiber is that it doesn't absorb like hemp. When Colin pees, the microfiber gets wet right in the area where he pees, but it doesn't soak the entire length of the towel. When hemp gets wet, the pee soaks its way through the entire length of the doubler. So even if Colin pees like crazy, a microfiber doubler is only half wet (in front), whereas a hemp doubler is completely wet and thus keeps him from leaking. So you get more bang from a hemp doubler, IMO, than a microfiber doubler.

Does that make any sense??

nitaghei
03-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Yes it does! Now I'm second guessing my choice for the Daisy-doodles. Christa just raved about the microfiber - so I got 1 each of hemp and microfiber inserts for the 3 dipes I ordered.

I've had extremely good luck with hemp - no leaks, no smell. Now I'm worried about the microfiber. Though hopefully, what Christa uses is better quality than the Walmart stuff. And Christa said that she got some new type of microfiber, which is super absorbent.

Now I'm going to worry about this all weekend, when I should be working on a law review article that should have already gone out!:(

Nita

calebsmama03
03-26-2004, 05:52 PM
An FYI just to ease your mind ;)
I have a MF insert and doubler for my daisy doodles and I also have the MF towels from Walmart. The stuff Christa uses feels nothing like the walmart towels. It is much softer and seems to absorb pretty well. I DID have to wash it more than once though, as the first time we leaked. Although I prefer hemp thus far, Christa's MF inserts are really nice. Don't worry too much about it!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

nitaghei
03-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Lynne,

Thanks! I feel much better now. I'm sort of nervous right now, because if the daycare thing works out, we will be CD'g full time, and it will be worth buying all these dipes. Otherwise - well - I guess I could always re-sell them!

I just bid on some FBs on ebay - and the seller has no feedback - one more thing to worry about! Though my bid's pretty low - so I'm probably not going to get them.

Nita

pritchettzoo
03-26-2004, 06:14 PM
I really like my Ella's Pocket diapers and inserts. I think it's more absorbent than a JB, and about the same price. Also, the Ella's are aplix, which will look simpler to the daycare providers than the FBs (DH is put off by all the snaps!), and they are cheaper--around $14 for the pocket diaper AND an insert.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

houseof3boys
03-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Great... a dipe I had not heard of (Ella's) and I am in the market for some more pockets!

Thanks a lot girlie. Is Gracie in a medium and does it seem it is sized accurately, since the large is from 16-25 pounds and the medium is 12-20?

pritchettzoo
03-26-2004, 11:24 PM
And Ella's a GA girl!

Definitely order a couple of extra inserts if you order a couple of diapers. Gracie's in a medium, and it fits her well. She's 15 lbs 4 oz as of last week. I'm tempted to try a large just to get the next range. She's got smallish thighs, and the diapers fit well around her thighs--very stretchy, soft elastic.

The last time I checked, it looked like some of other places that stock her diapers were cheaper on some things and more expensive on others, so you might want to check that too.

I'm not as crazy about the fleece pocket as I am about the PUL one. It's 300 weight and very fluffy. I call her little teddy bear butt when she wears it.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-26-2004, 11:35 PM
Rebecca just emailed me to check on my US today and she said she feared I had sent her a message about my pregnancy and since she is having computer problems might have not gotten it.

I didn't mention you had emailed her with no response...and know that she has passed her compnay off to her friend and mentor...but I wanted to tell you that since you mentioned that...

Just thought I should mention if you hadn't given up on that ...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

nitaghei
03-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Now I read this!! Anyway, I did win the auction, so I got the FBs + insert for $12.50 eash including shipping.

I'm ambivalent about Alpix - it's easier for daycare, but it's also easier for my little monkey to take off too! But, moot point, now. Though I do have to try these at some point! Thanks for the recommendation.

Nita