PDA

View Full Version : If I could start all over again...I'D....

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-29-2004, 02:26 PM
have bought only pockets...
I am now tempted to sell everything but them, please if there is any reason not to catch me before I do...

There has to be something that I am not realizing...I mean how can anyone use anything but these????
They are soft, trim, easy...
What am I missing?????????

By the way we'll keep our two firefly nite diapers ASSUMING we need those...

Really guys what am I missing...
I beg you tell me before I sell what I have...

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

papal
03-29-2004, 02:37 PM
If the pockets are what you keep reaching for then you should be fine getting rid of everything else.
For us, the pockets just did not work. I have one Baby Blanket pocket and it is the last thing i reach for. It hardly ever gets used. I had ranted about it earlier (
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=11678&mesg_id=11678&listing_type=search ) and I still just don't like it. Maybe because i stuff with a prefold.. it is way too bulky for my liking and stuffing it is a PITA (i _have_ to get it really smooth and it is so hard to do that!). And the ick-factor of taking it out of the pocket is also high (especially when she poops in it!).
Also, with the onset of warmer weather.. i think something more breathable would be nice to have. These days i just stick Leela in a prefold, no cover, when she is awake. At night we use the Bumpy Wool cover.

Why not just keep a couple of SFs for just in case??

liya
03-29-2004, 06:40 PM
First of all Rashmi i think you got one of the older versions of it. It is my understanding that they corrected their insert opening(it used to be narrow now its not) and something in their design as well(so i was told by Wendi yesterday)...

I think really Neve it all comes down to what works for you. Sometimes pockets give in and totally start wicking and then the pocket love is no more..I honestly LOVE my pockets and if it werent sooo HOT here in the summer i would use nothing but it. But using a prefold and a prorap cover is the same darn thing or using any PUL cover at that.. :o)....

We are going to use some fitteds(mostly prefolds) and wool this summer but we are also getting pockets. Ricky reaches for them first and honestly they are just so versatile for us as well. Its all a matter of perspectives for some they are useless for others they are priceless. But if you see yourself reaching for these always then by all means sell what you have for a profit and keep these...

HTH

mommyj_2
03-29-2004, 07:42 PM
I've never tried pockets, so I can't speak specifically to those. I just wanted to say that what I like changes, so I'd be a little bit hesitant to sell dipes you used to love, because you might want to use them again. I went through a phase where I only used PFs, and I wondered why I'd ever wasted my money buying fitteds (even though I only had 4 or 5). But, a few weeks later, DS started getting really squirmy during diaper changes, and I was really glad to have fitteds when we were on outings. I would say to give it another month or so, and if you're still only wanting to use pockets, then go ahead and sell of everything else.
I'm not sure how long you've been using them, so maybe you have already given it a couple months.
That's just my 2 cents...

Calmegja2
03-29-2004, 09:00 PM
You have to do what works for you, but I go through phases. I mostly use pockets, and they are my favorites, but part of the allure of cloth is that it has the ability to change it up.

Sometimes I like to use fitteds and cute covers. Sometimes just a pinned prefold for butt breathing time, but my pockets are the workhorse (I have 30 FB's).

Every time I think I should pare down, changing it up occasionally can be fun.

daisymommy
03-30-2004, 02:02 PM
I am totally in a pocket diaper craze at the moment too Neve. THe only thing to remind yourself of is PUL (suh as covers and pockets) doesn't last anywhere near as long as cotton and hemp. After awhile it will wear out and start to leak. Wheras fitteds or prefolds will last through 2-3 children I'm sure. I really think it may depend upon what you are expecting in the reuse factor. If it's fine with you that they may only last till Tristan is done with them, then by all means, go for the pockets! But if you are trying to save money and use them with your next 5 adoptive children ;), I sure wouldn't buy all pockets.
but they sure are nice with our squirmy-wormy kids aren't they?!

liya
03-30-2004, 03:12 PM
Well PUL gets wicky, hemp gets full of holes and 100% cotton prefolds disintigrate with time leaving holes and frays....LOL its all part of cloth diapers..but i do agree if you plan on using them for alot of kiddos first of all get alot of them so the rotation is bigger..LOL and give them a break every once in a while. Honestly Neve, Tristan will ease up after a while(or so i keep hoping for Ari..ha ha ha)...And maybe in a few months you'll find that you miss your fitteds, just like you noticed you loved your euro prefolds at one point..

HTH make the desicion easier...

hellokitty
03-30-2004, 11:29 PM
Rashimi-

You are not alone. I bought 3 small sized pocket dipes from thebabyblanket.com. I have used them 2 times, once stuffed with a CPF, I had the same problems as you could barely get the CPF in, and then to top it off it leaked within 20 minutes!!!! So, I went to walmart and tried some of the microfiber towels as an insert. It fit a little better into the tiny hole, HOWEVER once again baby started crying within 20 min. Turns out that the fleece part was wet. I am not feeling the pocket dipe love right now. I REALLY wanted to like them, but it's not happening. I don't know if I would like HH or FB better, never tried them. The BB ones were so cute, however I am disappointed in them, and am just thinking maybe they just aren't for us, b/c I have seen so many women here rave about how much they like them. I think I have the older style as well. Anyways, I guess I feel better I am not alone in feeling this way. I was starting to think it was just me, but it sounds like we share prtty much the same type of experience with this particular dipe.

jec2
03-31-2004, 12:11 AM
I've been meaning to post a reply too, but another thing to think about with the pockets is that if you will BF'ing a new baby, the poops might escape easier. I only could use our small Baby Blanket diapers for about 6 weeks and don't recall if the pooop leaks were the same with the Fuzzibuns, but we have had some major poo disasters with the leg leaks. I LOVe my fitted dipes and I LOVE my pockets but I use them differently.