PDA

View Full Version : Confused about a rash

chlobo
03-30-2004, 09:03 PM
My poor breastfed dd has had a sore butt for about a week. It started out as the regular kind of red irritation. After a day or so her butt felt very dry, although it was still somewhat red with some small raised bumps.

Today, it turned bright red after she had a poopie diaper and she got some marks that almost look like welts on her but. Even her private parts are red. Its so sad.

I've been using a aquaphor and/or gerber's oatmeal diaper ointment but neither or both seem to be working.

Does the fact that her butt got much redder after she pooped mean she's allergic to something she pooped out? Or is it just more irritating? I ask because she also had a diaper with some speckles of blood in it today.

I'm going to call the ped. tomorrow but was wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone? Or if anyone has any suggestions for another type of diaper cream for me to try?

Carren
mom to Isabella 11/03

Momof3Labs
03-30-2004, 09:31 PM
The welts make it sound like yeast - your ped can give you a prescription to help get rid of it.

chlobo
03-30-2004, 09:52 PM
I saw a picture of a yeast rash (on askdrsears) and hers didnt really look like that. It was much less red and the raised areas were farther out and not as "angry" looking.

Is there a difference in "degree" for yeast rashes?

carolcarpenter
03-31-2004, 01:31 AM
I highly recommend Balmex. See my previous posts this week where I talk about a rash that sounds very like yours. It was originally diagnosed as a yeast infection, but it turned out to be just irritation. Also, stop using disposable wipes!! I did, and it helped a lot. Now I used a flannel washcloth in warm water. Baby likes it better too.

Eloise36
04-03-2004, 11:43 PM
It does sound like yeast. DS had something similar, and the pediatrician diagnosed it as yeast. There are a few things you can do right away that might help:

- Clean the area with flannel or cotton wool and water, not disposable wipes - less irritating for the skin
- Air her butt out during every diaper change. If possible, let her go diaperless for a period each day. This helps with both yeast and diaper rash
- Make sure her butt is completely dry before applying diaper rash cream.

Good luck!

chlobo
04-04-2004, 11:27 AM
Ok. The doctor recommended Lotrimin, which I guess has the same ingredients as some of the prescription stuff.

Should I use disposables while this is clearing up and then wash the heck out of my diapers to be sure there is no yeast lingering in them? Should I treat the diapers with anything (we have no sun and looks like we might not for a while).

Thanks.