PDA

View Full Version : Stupid CD question - is it bad for their legs/hips/pelvis?

jojo2324
04-04-2004, 12:17 PM
I know, but her legs are just so splayed apart, once you have the Kissaluv, insert and a cover. My ped made the comment that she looked like she'd just had a hip operation. (But I had wondered about the issue before she said that.)

I know there was an issue a while back with Baby Bjorns, but I don't remember the specifics, and whether it was a valid concern. (I don't have her in a BB all day, but she is in CDs all day.)

liya
04-04-2004, 01:17 PM
My take on it :)..I used to use the narrowest diapers on Ari. With a CPF i would bikini twist it making the crotch narrower that way. I never liked the idea of having too much bulk in between, it seemed somewhat uncomfortable to me. This is why i still cant bear putting a trifolded CPF on Ari, although i have done it but i use a smaller sized prefold like an infant..Aside from that i must tell you that there have been tons of mamas here and in other boards that have had no problems whatsoever with the bulk. Their babies have walked well, rolled over etc...And there has been no issue. But to me its still something that irks(bothers) me :)...

PS- after reading the post i realize i have not been much help LOL...

stillplayswithbarbies
04-04-2004, 01:46 PM
the difference about a Baby Bjorn is that their weight is resting on their pelvic bones, which are not designed to hold their weight at that age. It's not the spread legs that is an issue, it's the upright position with their weight resting on bones that are not ready for it yet.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

egoldber
04-04-2004, 02:02 PM
In fact, for babies with hip issues, pediatric orthopedists recommend CDs in order to induce that splayed hip position. :)

HTH,

tarahsolazy
04-04-2004, 07:31 PM
Beth is right, when babies are born with dislocated hips, they put them in a Pavilk harness, a contraption of straps that keeps their legs splayed out slightly and apart. This keeps the hip in the socket well, and promotes good hip development. They did use to double diaper these kids with CDs instead, for the same effect. Its actually worse for baby hips if the legs are together all the time, like the Native American folks that use papoose boards. Those babies have a higher incidence of hip problems, (not that trim dipes are bad, of course) because their legs aren't kept apart. So, I figure CDs aren't bad at all.

mudder17
04-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Now you have me worried--my baby really likes the BB. I don't leave her in it all day, but I do use it during the course of the day. Is there a recommended time limit for her age (6 weeks)? Interestingly, with the bulky CDs I usually have on her (I call her Baby Butts or Diaper Butts, sometimes. :)), I guess it sort of acts like a cushion.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

stillplayswithbarbies
04-04-2004, 11:35 PM
here is an article about it, with references:

http://www.kangarookorner.com/k_wear_carrier.shtml

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

toomanystrollers
04-05-2004, 09:21 AM
I was a cd'ed baby - and I'm not bow-legged LOL ;)

parkersmama
04-05-2004, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the link, Karen. I was about to ask you at what age could a baby safely use a "dangly leg" carrier since I use a Kozy carrier with Amy Grace. But I see in the article that it's not considered to be like the Baby Bjorn because it actually supports their entire bottom and part of the legs rather than allowing the legs to dangle down with the support being on the spine/crotch area. Very informative!!

mudder17
04-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Hey, thanks for the link. I guess I'll limit my use of the BB for now and use the Kissasling...I need to figure out how to use it, tho.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya