PDA

View Full Version : different materials for cloth

crl
04-10-2004, 09:25 AM
Hi,

More questions from a newbie. . . . I've noticed that a lot of the WAHMs allow you to choose different material combinations for aios and pockets, but I'm not sure what the advantages and disadvantages of the options are. So here's what I think I've figured out so far, please correct me where I'm wrong and add to this.

PUL--this is a more or less waterproof layer used as the outside of AIOs etc or hidden under a cloth exterior. It's not breathable.

Nylon--similar in use to PUL, perhaps a bit more breathable.

Fleece--used as a layer next to baby's bum to wick away moisture and keep then dry. Especially good in overnight dipes. Also used as an outer layer, not sure why?

Hemp--used as an absorbant material for inserts, etc. More absorbant than other options, but prone to build up and thus being stiff and stinky.

Organic cotton--similar use to hemp (also used for prefolds, which can be used as inserts for pockets)--not quite as absorbant but also not quite as prone to being stinky????

Sherpa--similiar in use to hemp????

What else???

As you can see, I'm in serious need of help. Thank you so much for educating me!

Catherine

daisymommy
04-10-2004, 02:06 PM
>PUL--this is a more or less waterproof layer used as the
>outside of AIOs etc or hidden under a cloth exterior. It's
>not breathable.
YES, CORRECT!

>Nylon--similar in use to PUL, perhaps a bit more
>breathable.
Similar to PUL beacause it's waterproof, but it's definetly way more breathable, and usually softer.

>Fleece--used as a layer next to baby's bum to wick away
>moisture and keep then dry. Especially good in overnight
>dipes. Also used as an outer layer, not sure why?
YES to everything you said. As far as being an outer covering for an AIO, or covers are often made from this, certain kinds of fleece (such as Windpro) are waterproof barriers rather than wicking type fleece. But if your baby sits in a wet diaper for too long, you will get "compression wicking" where the moisture is forced by pressure to go through the fleece.

>Hemp--used as an absorbant material for inserts, etc. More
>absorbant than other options, but prone to build up and thus
>being stiff and stinky.
Hemp is one of the favorite materials for fitted diapers too. Yes, it is the most absorbent material, but it can get stinky or stiff, expecially if you live in areas with hard water. I have almost everything made from hemp, but I live in a "moderate" water area (not too hard or soft), and I haven't really had any problems with my hemp.

>Organic cotton--similar use to hemp (also used for prefolds,
>which can be used as inserts for pockets)--not quite as
>absorbant but also not quite as prone to being stinky????
YES, CORRECT. It also stays softer than hemp.

>Sherpa--similiar in use to hemp????
Sherpa is soft, absorbent, and deosn't have the stiff or stinky problems like hemp. But it's not as trim or absorbent.

Velour--very soft, will wick wetness away when line inside of a diaper (not as good as fleece though), but it can be bulky.

Suede Cloth-This stuff is YUMMY soft! It' wicks wetness away, is very trim, and doesn't pill like fleece does.

Hope that helps you!

crl
04-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Amy,

Your answers are really great!

Thanks so much,

Melanie
04-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Our hemp isn't stiff or stinky either, but I dry in the dryer. It was very stiff when line-dried. I think you can start drying for 10-15 minutes and then hang, but I got too lazy to do both.

I believe the most absorbant material is hemp fleece...although some people are talking about microfiber or rayon? I don't know a thing about those.

daisymommy
04-10-2004, 10:05 PM
Hemp in order of most to least absorbent:
-Hemp terry (loopy like a towel)
-Hemp fleece (fuzzy)
-Hemp jersey (smooth)

I forgot about microfiber! It is very soft, and pretty absorbent, but one step below hemp. The upside is it doesn't have odor retaining problems.
Not sure about rayon though...

crl
04-12-2004, 08:10 PM
Thank you all so much for tutoring me!

Melanie
04-15-2004, 02:10 AM
Sometimes they'll turn the hemp fleece inside out, and then it's smooth, too. Just to add confusion. =)

I don't think I've seen Hemp Terry...