PDA

View Full Version : How often do you use diaper creme?

marinkitty
04-14-2004, 11:07 PM
So we've been cding during the day for four days now and Mia has developed the beginnings of a rash. Last night it was slightly red but tonight there was a pretty pink spot that I know will get worse quickly.

I have not been using diaper creme every change with the cloth b/c it sounded like most of you only use it when there is a rash. But I think that without it her skin is getting really irritated. Up till now we always liberally applied Desitin or Triple Paste with every dipe.

I have Burt's Bees creme and used it once with one of my fleece lined dipes and it didn't seem to come off well in the wash. Is there something that washes out more easily but still works?

Thanks!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

papal
04-14-2004, 11:16 PM
Hi Holly. Sorry Mia has a rash.. poor thing! When Leela had a rash, the only thing that worked was Lanisoh. Now that it is all cleared up, i do not put any on her during the day. At night we put some on, just because she stays in a wet diaper for a longer period of time before waking up. We did not have luck with Burts Bees (though it smells so divine) or Aquaphor.

Here are some tips that were helpful to me:
While she has the rash, at each pee diaper change, don't WIPE with a wet dipe but PAT instead...wiping irritates the rash.
After a poop, wipe first and then wash her bum thoroughly under running water.
A baking soda sitz bath works WONDERS!
Let her bum air dry and give it some naked time.
Make sure all the nooks and crannies are dry before putting on another dipe (we even used a hairdryer). Apply a generous amount of Lanisoh (or whatever else).

There are some creams you should not use with CDs because of staining.. i think Desitin is one of them... you can do a quick search in this forum with RASH in the subject... you will get many more tips!

Hope it clears up soon!

pritchettzoo
04-14-2004, 11:57 PM
I use Aquaphor at night as a preventative measure.

A friend (who does not CD) is in love with the new Balmex with clay.

Are you using fleece liners? If not, it might help keep the moisture away from her bum. If you are, she could be sensitive to fleece. Have you recently switched detergents? Used bleach?

I hope she's rash-free soon!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

marinkitty
04-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Rashmi - thanks I'll try Lanisoh. I don't think the Burt's Bees is a problem except that I don't like that it leaves stains in the cloth dipes. Does Lanisoh come off well?

I think the rash is just b/c she is used to always having protective creme on - I asked the nanny to keep her in sposies today and give her lots of naked time - I want to stop it before it gets any worse and then go back to cloth and try to figure out what the problem is!

Thanks for all your suggestions (though the thought of trying to run my wiggly one year olds bum under warm water without getting both of us soaked or blow dry her bottom (she hates the hair dryer - wierd b/c she loved it when she was little) has me cracking up - not sure that will fly with her!)

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

marinkitty
04-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Anna:

Thanks for the suggestions - I wonder if the Balmex with clay would stain the dipes? I've never been a fan of regular Balmex - too thin to really do the job for my DD.

I am using fleece liners (well, most of our pockets are fleece lined and our fitteds have fleece topped soakers) - I wondered if she was sensitive to fleece but b/c the rash is really only right around the hole (sorry, TMI) and not on her cheeks I feel like it probably isn't that - she also sleeps in a fleece sleeper and fleece Halo sack every night - but maybe it is a different fleece or the wetness with the fleece?

It is also possible that it is the detergent - I'm using regular tide with the dipes b/c we have always washed all her stuff in Dreft which won't work for cds (so I'm told). But again, do you think the rash would be more widespread if that was the case? I guess it wouldn't hurt to try another brand and see if that helps.

Thanks again!
Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

kitmama
04-15-2004, 04:43 PM
I was using plain vaseline with every change (which seemed to be helping) and diaper cream only if he looked a little red, but now my son has developed a rash, too- and the diaper creams I have don't seem to be helping. I had started another thread to ask about this, and Triple Paste and the Burt's Bees creams were recommended to me.

Good suggestions here, too!

marinkitty
04-15-2004, 06:12 PM
I'm out of triple paste - I will get more tomorrow. I also recommend it - we have gone through two huge tubs of it. But, I am afraid it will also stain the dipes - seems like the zinc based cremes do leave a residue on the microfleece.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

mudder17
04-15-2004, 07:12 PM
I've used both Lansinoh and Aveeno Diaper Creme and neither seems to stain. I use it when she has a rash, when I think she's going to be in a warm environment, or when it looks like her skin is getting even slightly red. Baking soda in her bathwater also helps quite a bit when she does have a rash and fleece or microfleece liners (I have both) do a great job of keeping her bum dry. (I just went to Joann Fabrics and got some closeout fleece.) I usually use my peri bottle for diaper changes and when it looks like her skin is getting irritated, I just spray warm water to clean her off and then pat her dry. When I do wipe, I make sure the cloth wipe is well soaked with water, because it reduces the amount of friction on her skin. I always pat dry.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya