PDA

View Full Version : Cloth Diapering 101

KBecks
04-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Oh, this is going to be a great thread, it might have taken me days to get all this out of reading the posts and asking questions.

Maybe Alan and Denise would be open to having a cloth diapering FAQ here on the boards -- it would be great! Or they could include this info in their book -- is it already??

Karen

KBecks
04-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Also, do you use diaper pins, or velcro, or I saw a holder that looked like a slingshot on one web site...

Karen

holliam
04-15-2004, 03:04 PM
It's not really in their book, so I actually bought a book just about cloth diapering. It helped me a lot.

I just went to find the book to tell you the table of contents, but DH is reading it now and has it somewhere. Anyway, the book is called "Diaper Changes". I still depended on reading information here and at the diaperpin.com site but the book helped me a lot!

Of course, my knowledge is still just theoretical! I can't even buy anything yet!

Holli

papal
04-15-2004, 03:50 PM
Karen,
Great idea...i swear i was thinking of the same thing yesterday! Here are some thoughts.
Let us gather all the information in this thread.
Then you can put it all into one post and then that post can be pinned to the top of this forum.
I was thinking:
1 post for FAQ
1 post for Abbreviations.
1 post for Stash

How about everyone get an assignment and we can talk about that.
egs:
1. Pocket diapers.. what are they, what types are there, what stuffins are there etc.
2. Prefolds - what types, sizes, folds etc.
3. AIOs - types, trimness etc
4. Wool covers and soakers
5. PUL covers
6. Fleece covers.

OK, any takers for any topics?? I don't mind doing a write-up on prefolds and then letting folks add on to that.

C99
04-15-2004, 03:53 PM
I'll address fasteners and prefolds, which are just one of the types of cloth diapers you can buy.

Prefolds. Sometimes referred to as CPFs (C=Chinese), these are the standard diapers that you might remember seeing when you were a kid. They are rectangular and have several extra layers sewn into the middle of the diaper.

Prefolds come in several different sizes, fabrics and absorbancies. The sizes include preemie, infant, regular, and toddler. Then within each "size," there are generally two different absorbancy options offered: regular and premium. The size of the prefold refers to the physical size of the rectangle of cloth; I believe the sizes are standard, but I could be wrong. In addition to that, each prefold has a number attached to it -- 4x8x4 or 6x12x6, for example. The first and last numbers refer to the number of layers sewn into the sides of the diaper and the middle number refers to the number of layers sewn into the middle of the diaper.

Prefolds are available in cotton and hemp (which is usually a mix of cotton/hemp) fabrics. Cotton prefolds come in unbleached (UBCPFs) and bleached varieties. Some people say that the unbleached PFs are softer or wear better, some people prefer the whiteness of the bleached ones. I haven't found a huge difference either way.

Prefolds can be fastened in one of three ways -- by using diaper pins, by using a Snappi (which is that rubber thing that looks like a slingshot) or simply by tucking the prefold into the cover.

Prefolds do not have an waterproof layer on them, so you'll need to put a waterproof cover over the prefold. There are several kinds of covers, so I will let someone else address that.

papal
04-15-2004, 04:02 PM
Adding to the prefolds discussion:
Chinese Prefolds (CPFs) are the most popular. However there are European Prefolds (EPFs) and Indian Prefolds (IPFs) as well. In my experience, the IPFs are much softer and more absorbant than the CPFs. However, they do not have the color coded serging like the CPFs do and do not have multiple size options like the CPFs. Their infant size run smaller than the CPF infant size.
Unbleached CPFs and IPFs are referred to as UBCPFs and UBIPFs.
The unbleached prefolds hide stains better than the bleached ones imo.
However, the initial number of washes for unbleached prefolds are way more than for bleached. That is because the natural oils are still in there <edit>

<someone talk about EPFs.. i have not tried them>

Color Codes for CPFs: <insert colors here>

Note: I am writing as I think.. i will come back and edit later.

todzwife
04-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Oh! I'll pick wool! I LOVE wool and have lots of it but I don't know EVERYTHING about it. I would only be able to tell ya about what I have. :)

holliam
04-15-2004, 04:07 PM
I'd love it if you experienced moms could also include a post with your favorite diapering sites, annotated with which types of dipes you like at thos sites!

I can't wait to have enough knowledge to share!

Holli

papal
04-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Please do.. and tell us about your delicious Kiwi Pie covers.. and the LMK soaker pattern and how wool works and Sarah and everything!
Talking about Sarah... my soaker will be ready by tmmrw!!! I am SUPER EXCITED!

todzwife
04-15-2004, 04:12 PM
There are different kinds of wool covers.
1. A "soaker" which is usually knitted or crocheted and has a drawstring or ribbed waistband.
2. A "Wrap" which is closed with snaps, usually side snaps from what I have seen.

Wool is breathable and naturaly antimicrobial, so it doesn't have to be washed more than every couple weeks unless it gets poopy on it. Not all wool is scratchy, maybe Linda will be able to elaborate on the different kinds of wool as I only have stuff from www.kiwipie.com and it's all super soft.

Wool can hold up to 30% of it's weight in moisture before feeling wet. This makes it an excellent choice for night time diapering.

Well, baby is awake. Linda, you want to add some stuff? :)

sweetbasil
04-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Since pockets are the main dipe of choice at our home, I'm glad to share what I know about some brands/types, (and hope that others can fill in what I miss!)....

Karen explained them well in another post- pockets have two layers that are sewn together- an outer, usually PUL (polyurethane laminated fabric) or fleece, and an inner for keeping baby dry- usually a microfleece or microsuede. There's an opening between the two layers, usually in the back of the waistband, that's used for stuffing an absorbent layer used to soak up pee. No cover is needed with pocket diapers that are made with PUL or fleece outers.

Pocket diapers are quite similar to disposables in ease of use...the absorbent layers can be customized based on when baby wets most during the day, etc.

Once wet in or pooped in, pocket diapers must be washed, as the absorbent layer is inside the diaper (unlike AIOs where the insert can be unsnapped, the cover can dry, and then another insert can be snapped in for use).

Pocket diapers close in a few ways- there are snap and applix (the generic name for Velcro, which is trademarked...also known as hook-and-loop or front touch tape) closures. They can also close in the front or on the side, which is usually a preference based on the way diapers fit your baby. (for example, we've found front closures to be more gentle on our baby's chunky thighs than side snaps, though I've read on other sites that side snaps should allow babies to wear the diaper up to 5# above the diaper size's stated weight limit).

BabyBlanket Diapers come in PUL outers, and either microfleece or microsuede inners. These are probably the most economical of all the pockets that we own. Made by wahm Wendi (and Rebecca!), they can be found at www.thebabyblanket.com

Doodle Bottoms made by wahm Cory (also a student, she's quite busy these days) come in side snap or front applix closure and are lined in either microfleece or microsuede www.doodlebottoms.com

Ellas Diapers come in PUL and fleece outers, and each one also comes with a hemp insert. They're front applix closure, are usually priced around $15.95 (including the insert), and can be found at www.ellasdiapers.com

First Class Baby Envelopes are made with the pocket opening in front, and come with either PUL or WindPro Fleece outers and microfleece inners. www.fluffymail.com

FuzziBunz have a patent on the fleece-lined pocket diaper concept and are a favorite for nighttime and daytime diapering alike. They're trim, sturdy, and come with a satisfaction guarantee. These are snap front diapers and come in mostly solids, with the occasional buggy print ;)
I've purchased them at several sites:
www.naturalbabies.com
www.lilbunz.com
www.nurturedfamilies.com

Happy Heinys are another great pocket dipe- front applix closure.
I've purchased them at www.lilbunz.com

HarleezPocketz offer front touch tape and side snapping pockets. These have been harder for me to get my hands on, so we don't have any personal experience with them, but they can be found at www.wahmarama.com

Knickernappies are made by wahm (work at home mom) Aherne, and are most like FuzziBunz. The main differences are availability (harder to get), price (generally lower), her prints selection is greater, and the front snaps can overlap, allowing baby to wear one size longer. www.knickernappies.com

Simply Cloth are made by wahm Julie, and are a side snap diaper. Also harder to get (these days), Julie has an incredible selection of prints from which to choose. www.simplycloth.com

Soft Landing Stuffers are either a PUL or fleece outer, and can be made with foldover elastic or turned. Also, they can be front applix or side snap closure. SL diapers can be found at www.softlandingdiapers.com

Stuffins for pocket diapers can vary greatly and are often chosen based on baby's wetting amounts during the day, parents' preference, etc.

Hemp is made of natural fibers, so the urine is able to disperse more evenly in a hemp soaker.
Examples include:
JoeyBunz Hemparoos (found at www.lilbunz.com and many other sites that sell FuzziBunz pockets)
Stuffers that come with Ellas Pocket dipes
Nighty Newts Soakers and Komodo Dragon Doublers from www.littlelounginglizards.com

Microfiber is softer and less stiff than hemp, but leave urine more concentrated in one place.
Examples include:
MOE Microfiber inserts (found at www.naturalbabies.com and other sites that sell FuzziBunz pockets)
Microfiber towels found in the automotive sections of WalMart, Target, and CostCo (these are great trifolded and stuffed into a diaper- we always use them in pairs)...incidentally, these can tend to bleed in laundry, so it's advisable to wash them alone, with a Shout Color Catcher, on hot water a few times before throwing them in with the rest of your CDing laundry

Prefolds are great for stuffing...they're definitely not as trim as the other options, but offer a great and economical solution for stuffing (especially for those looking for uses for their outgrown newborn sized prefolds). Just trifold (the "wrong" way- horizontally instead of vertically) and stuff into the pocket.

Sorry for the multiple edits...I'm adding as I think of more and as the boys let me ;)

parkersmama
04-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Good idea, Karen!

I'll talk a bit about covers.

There are *many* fabrics for covers...PUL-polyurethane laminate (probably the most waterproof), nylon, wool, and fleece are the most common.

There are also many different *styles* of covers!

1) Pull-on covers: These are just like they sound...you pull them on over the diaper just like a pair of pants. They are usually pretty snug (but not always as in the rubber pants of old). These are often wool or nylon but could be one of the other fabrics as well. Advantages to pull-on covers are ease of use (easier to get on a wiggly baby), fit is easy (don't have to deal with fasteners), no fasteners to break, and others that aren't coming to me right now! Disadvantages to pull-on covers are that they are not adjustable and can be messy to take off if there is poop on the cover. Examples of pull-on covers are Aristocrats and Dappi Pull-ons.

2) Front snapping/Front aplix (velcro): These are often called "wraps". They are generally close-fitting and very adjustable. They come in all fabrics but are most commonly seen in PUL. These are the type that people sometimes "lay-in" a prefold without using pins or a snappi. The close fit holds the diaper in place without fasteners on the diapers. But wraps are also commonly used over fitted diapers as well and snappi'd or pinned prefolds. Advantages of wraps are ease of use (especially aplix ones), tightness of fit, adjustability, and often trimness. Disadvantages are they sometimes gap around small thighs, can be hard to get on a wiggly baby, and the baby sometimes learns how to undo them! Examples of front snapping are Proraps Snaps. Examples of front aplix are Bumpy Day & Night and Proraps Classic.

3) Side snapping/Side aplix: This is a very popular diaper cover and, IMO, the one most often made by WAHMs. They are very commonly seen in wool & fleece but also in PUL. Because there are usually snaps both at the waist and the legs, these are highly adjustable...the waist can be looser for a buddha belly and the thighs tighter for skinny thighs and vice versa. Side closure covers have a looser fit (usually) and do not work well for "laying in" a prefold. They are generally for use with a snappi'd or pinned prefold or a fitted diaper. Advantages of side closure covers are adjustable fit and breathability (since they are looser). Disadvantages are that they can be very hard to get on a wiggly baby and that the diaper must be affixed in some way since the cover isn't tight enough to hold it alone. Examples of side closure covers are MotherEase AirFlows and SugarPeas wool & fleece.

ETA to add I forgot about!:

4) Pants: Especially in the winter, some people use pants made of wool or fleece as a cover. Not necessarily pants you buy at the department store, though! These are generally found at WAHM sites. They are used in place of a traditional cover and aren't skin-tight but also not extremely loose. They must be used over a fitted diaper or a snappi'd or pinned prefold. Advantages are that it eliminates one layer of clothing and they are often quite cute. Disadvantages are they are expensive, not easy to find, too warm for summer, and you loose the whole bottom half of your outfit if they get pooped on! Example is Righteous Baby LillaPants.

HTH!

DebbieJ
04-15-2004, 05:00 PM
What about stuffing options for pocket dipes?

I would love to hear more about that.

~ deb
mommy to brendan 12/7/03

liya
04-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Adding:

Baby Blanket diapers (www.babyblanket.com *i think LOL*)

And also saying something honest. Each and every pocket is sincerely the same thing. The thing that will definately vary them is their design and complexity when sewing. But they are essentially the same thing. You can have the suede lined or micro lined. Miro is a bit thicker than suede and does make the diaper bulkier. Its also more suceptable to gather up pilling from other diapers. Sude is thinner and IMHO better than the micro BUT when wet it does feel alot different and does tend to sometimes be a tad rougher on the skin(when wet)...

There are alot of babies that are sensitive to fleece. So please be aware that pockets and fleece lined diapers may not work for every baby.

Pocket diapers can come in prints, solids, serger and turned and topped stitched. There are also some wahms that make POCKET DIAPERS that all all hemp(no PUL and fleece just a different fitted diaper style). These are esentially the same concept as a PUL or FLEECE pocket diaper but differ in that you must use a cover.

Printed Pockets per say are more suceptible to wick than a plain PUL pocket these are the print variations:

-Laminated---> tend to be stiffer than other printed pockets
-PUL layer and Print---> softer but depending on the stitch used when sewing are more suceptible to wick.

Plain PUL(or just colors) tend to be soft and flexible and in my personal experince tend to wick less than prints.

You should place your PUL pockets in the dryer when you wash them to close the holes that have been made when sewing them. This will keep your pocket less suceptible to wicking...

liya
04-15-2004, 05:12 PM
Adding..

Wrap(aplix)
Side snapping
Front snapping
Pull on
Soaker
Pants

WOOL

There are tons of different kinds of wool from softest to stiffest.

Cashmere
Merino
Jersey
Virgin
Broad Cloth
Flannel

There is also Recycled Wool from sweaters, pants, skirts etc. that can also be used when making covers. The softness of the fabric will depend of the type of fabric and how the fabric felts up when washed before making the actual cover :)..But the order above is usually the norm of softness.

Hoe thin the wool is will have an effect on its absorbancy :) Flannel all though the roughest wool is an excellent cover for night time. Since the wool can hold up to 30% of its weight in moisture the more it weighs the more wetness it can handle...

The care for wool is very simple. Like said above you dont have to wash it every time you use it. Its natural antibactirial properties protect it from germs that might accumulate in other fabrics. The natural oils(lanolin) in the fabric protects it in many ways and also helps its absorbtion. Lanolin can be used about 1 time a month or every 1.5 months to help the cover maintain its natural properties.

Wools breathability as of now in uncomparable and its excellence of fabric properties has made it be one of the most popular fabrics for making covers.

liya
04-15-2004, 05:45 PM
Ill take fabrics :)

The most popular fabrics for making diapers are :

Flannel: Cheapest fabric, its absorbancy is great for extremely light wetters. It tends to pill more and tends to not hold up its structure fabric wise, meaning when you wash it it will tend to look older than the rest of your diapers. The condition of your diaper will depend on the type of flannel you have.

There is a flannel called Killington Flannel that is less suceptible to pilling and is thicker than the regular flannel. Diapers made of this fabric are usually more absorbant and hold up their shape better than regular flannel.

Burley Knit Terry(BKT): Very thick and heavy fabric. Because of its properties it makes a very absorbant diaper but extremely thick.

Baby Terry: Towel like feel. Its absorbancy is again recomended for light wetters. When washed it will absorb more. The fabric tends to take longer to break in than any other fabric i have tried. In time is more suceptible to becoming scratchy and rough.

French Terry: Towel like feel. Softer than the baby terry and also makes up for a more absorbant fabric. This fabric is usually used to make doublers or main soakers inside the diaper. It doesnt tend to become scratchy like baby terry.

Hemp---> Most absorbant fabric and naturally antibactirial. Its absorbancy and trimness makes this fabric an ecxellent diaper fabric.Because of this absorbancy it does have one main disadvantage. The fabric is more prone to build up causing to have smell issues and soap residues if not washed properly.

Hemp Jersey: When you think of this fabric think of your favorite t shirt. Its very nice and soft but also very thin. This makes this fabric less absorbant than any other hemp fabrics.

Hemp Terry: Very towel like feel. Similar to baby terry but extremely more absorbant. Im not very fond of this fabric because of its texture :).

Hemp Fleece: Great absorbant fabric for diapers. Its brushed terry in one side and knit in the other. Its great an absorbant does tend to get stiff through time but it makes an excellent diaper fabric.

Hemp French Terry: This is one of my favorite diaper fabrics. Its the same fabric as hemp fleece just not brushed. This makes the fabric trimmer than hemp fleece but equally absorbant to hemp fleece since its weight is the same :)

Sherpa: Nice plushy fabric. Extremely soft and absorbant can come in a variety of combinations(some sherpa fabrics contain polyester). This fabric compares to hemp and is less prone to build up.

Organic Fabrics: Most fabrics come in an organic option. Organic means the fabric was grown naturally without persticides. this shouldnt be confused with unbleached fabric. There can be fabrics that have not been grown organiclly and that are unbleached :).

Bleached fabrics ususally loose a some fabric fibers because of the process they undergo when bleaching it. Some have noticed that bleached fabric tends to hold less weight in water than unbleached fabrics which may be explained by loss of fibers in the bleaching process....

Micro and Suede

These fabrics are a usually 100% polyester and are used to line doublers, pocket diapers or the diapers themselves. Their properties allow them to wick moisture away into the diaperand mantain a dry feeling to the touch. It also less like to stain :). Mantains shape and color very well. Both of these fabrics are essentially the same the "finish" is what differs them.

Velour

Incredebly soft fabric can come in 100% and a combination of 80% cottom and 20% polyester. It holds up very well in the wash can help in a suddle way to wick away moisture(not for long though). It can mantain its shape very well and also has some properties to keep it from staining. This fabric makes GREAT wipe fabric.

PUL

Industrially made fabric with waterproof properties. Great for covers and pocket diapers :).

mudder17
04-15-2004, 07:19 PM
EPFs have a tighter weave than CPFs and supposedly will last longer than CPFs or IPFs. Thus, they might not feel as soft initially. Also, it may be harder to snappi initially, although I was able to do it if I was careful. I got them in the preemie size so that I could use them for a few weeks and then use them as doublers. They do have color coded serging and I think they also have multiple size options (although this I'm not sure about).

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

amywein
04-15-2004, 10:44 PM
Someone could also do one on washing routines/products. Just a thought.

liksmom
04-16-2004, 03:08 AM
I can't really add to this thread but I wanted to say what a great idea! I wish something like this was available when I got started. I hope someone does something on washing and detergents. This is so helpful...I am still learning.

BeachBaby
04-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Oh, wow! This is so great! I'd like to second the plea for a Washing/Care FAQ or topic. More so products that should/should not be used on the diapers (I'm particularly interested in what creams are good) since a lot of diapers come with wash/care instructions.

My husband will be a SAHD, so he'll be doing most of the laundry, so I'm going to post a USE THIS, NOT THAT list in the laundry room! :)

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've begun compiling my stash based on your recommendations to my first post and then more reading on my part. I'm following the "Liza" model initially . . .PFs and mostly Proraps with a few Green Earths and Bummis Whisper Pants. I have already received my Darling Diapers wipes (they are yummy!) and bought a "pail" and wipes container.

Just a FYI for those who can't find the Sterilite wipes container at Target . . . my DH found it with the Kitchen plastic wear (Rubbermaid, etc.). It wasn't with the other Sterilite products (trash cans, larger storage items) like I'd assumed.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions; you guys are awesome!

Megan

papal
04-16-2004, 10:31 AM
>Fleece covers can usually be used only once before they have >to be washed.

Karen, why is this? I did not know this and I have sometimes put Leela in the same SP fleece cover the whole day.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-16-2004, 01:21 PM
to me, they smell like pee when they get pee on them. I guess it would depend on how absorbant the diaper is and how long after the baby peed that you change it. If it doesn't wick all the way out to touch the cover then it wouldn't need washed yet I guess.

It may depend on the way the cover is made. AngelWraps has an inner fleece liner, that may be why it smells right away for me. Righteous Baby is one layer, but it feels damp to my touch, especially if it was over a prefold.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

daisymommy
04-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Laundry Day

Before you wash your diapers…
-Remove any snap-in soakers from your fitted diapers—this will keep the snaps from tearing out of your diapers.
-Close all velcro closures on your covers, or fold them back onto the laundry tabs. Otherwise they will snag everything else and create a “diaper chain.”
-Remove any inserts from your pocket diapers so they can get fully clean.

Recommended Detergents
Use any regular detergent that does not contain built-in fabric softeners (such as Dreft or Ivory Snow). Some (but not all) people get a build up on their diapers with “Free and Clear” formulas. All-Natural detergents are usually not strong enough to get your diapers completely clean. DO NOT use any fabric softeners, as they will create a waxy build up on your diapers and covers, making them repel wetness rather than absorb it. Also, bleach and Oxy-Clean will weaken and destroy diaper fibers very quickly. Many moms like: Tide, Gain, Era and Sunlight.

Washing Method
#1 First run a cold wash/cold rinse adding in only ½ cup of baking soda to the water. This will help keep your diapers from staining, will remove odors, and neutralize acidity levels.

#2 Second run a hot wash/cold rinse adding in no more than half the normal amount of detergent. If you have hard water, add a Downy ball half full of white vinegar. It will open up in the final rinse cycle, and soften them.

Now, open the lid and take a whiff. Smell a diaper up close. Does it smell fresh? If not, run another cold wash/cold rinse with nothing else added to the water (not even detergent). This is just to rinse out the diapers once more.

Drying your Diapers and Covers
Hang to dry…
-Polyester (PUL) and nylon covers
-Pocket diapers and All-in-One outers*
-Reusable pail liners
Machine Dry, on high heat…
-All other fitted diapers, pre-folds, inserts, fleece liners, cloth wipes, etc.

Notes:
Dry pocket diapers and AIO shells in the dryer once a month to “seal” them and keep them water proof. I prefer to wash my fleece covers with clothing. This keeps them from piling, and attracting fuzz. Wool covers require special care. See manufacturer’s instructions.

Preventing & Removing Stains
Lay your diapers out in the sun for a day and they will naturally bleach right out! Or pre-treat diapers with stain remover spray before tossing them into the diaper pail.
Desitin diaper rash cream will leave grey strains on your diapers. Use something (such as Balmex or Aquaphor) that does not contain any cod-liver (fish) oils.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Everyone has their own routine for washing, so maybe several people can reply to this and add their routines. I copied Beth (egoldber) when I started out and then tweaked it to fit my machine settings and experiences. I use the fake Tide detergent from Costco.

These are the instructions I typed up for DH when he became a SAHD.

How To Wash Diapers

Unstuff any Fuzzibunz and unfold diapers as you put them in. Close any velcro tabs. Spray any poop with Zout. DO NOT put any wool covers in the washer, ever.

First Step: SOAK
put in detergent halfway up to the first line on the cup. (NEVER use fabric softener)
put in the diapers (including fuzzibunz), but not the covers or pail liner.
set the washer to:
- cold wash
- cold rinse
- second rinse
- high water level
- regular agitation
- SOAK on the dial

The washer will agitate and then stop.

LET IT SOAK for at least one hour. Longer if there is a lot of poopy diapers. As long as you want to if you are going out or busy.

SECOND STEP: PREWASH
Turn the dial to prewash and let it run through. (this agitates for 4 minutes and spins out the water but does not rinse)

THIRD STEP: HOT WASH
Turn the dial to regular wash. Add just a touch more detergent, just enough to cover the bottom of the cup. Put in the covers and the pail liner turned inside out. Let it run all the way through spinning.

Take out the pail liner and hang it up to dry.

FOURTH STEP: extra rinses
Turn the dial back to rinse so that it goes through two more rinses. Every other wash time, or if the Joeybunz are feeling crispy, run through two more rinses. You can also check the water of the last rinse and if there are still suds in it, run more rinses.

FIFTH STEP: extra spin
turn the dial back to spin and spin it again. This helps them to dry faster

SIXTH STEP: drying
Hang up the Fuzzibunz and the covers (including the fleece covers), put the rest in the dryer on medium heat. Once in awhile, put the plain white (Green Earth and ProRaps) covers in the dryer, especially if they have been leaking. After the dryer stops, take out what is dry and start it up again.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

daisymommy
04-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Out and About with Cloth Diapers

The only thing different about using cloth diapers versus disposables when you are out of the house and in public, is once you change your child’s diaper, you don’t lighten your diaper bag load any. You still carry around the same number of diapers with you—only now one is wet and sealed in a plastic bag. And unfortunately for you—but happily for your baby, you can no longer put off changing him for 3-4 hours while you hit “just one more store.” Cloth is not quite as absorbent as disposables (as cloth diapers lack that nasty gel inside them!), so your wee-one will need to be changed every 2-3 hours max.

In the beginning, I used cloth diapers at home and disposables when we left the house to go shopping or out running errands. I just couldn’t imagine how to deal with cloth in public. Then I finally bit the bullet, and made the switch. And you know what? It’s really not that big of a deal!

Road Tips:
•Pack “All-in-Ones” or pocket diapers. This makes changing just as simple as a disposable.
•If you do go with a prefold or fitted diaper in a cover, add a doubler to increase absorbency and buy you some time between changes.
•Carry a “wet bag” or Ziplock bag with you to store the used diapers in until you get home.
•Pre-moisten cloth wipes, and carry them in a plastic travel wipes case, or ziplock bag. Or, if you think you will forget to use up the wet cloth wipes before they smell musty, then simply use disposable wipes when you are on the go. You can toss them in the restroom trash can, or put them into your wet bag along with the used diaper. You don’t even have to pick the dirty wipes out when you get home. Just toss it all into the wash! That’s right, disposable wipes can go into the washer and dryer, and come out looking like a dryer sheet. Then just throw them away when you are putting the laundry away.
•Get a diaper bag that is big enough to hold 1-2 cloth diapers depending upon the age of your child. You can always have some extra back-ups in the car if needed. Unfortunately, those little purse size diaper bags that used to easily hold 2-3 disposable diapers just aren’t going to cut it now.

Reusable wet-bags:
Bummis size small nylon tote bags at www.naturalbabies.com (or most other cloth websites).
www.happytushies.com makes adorable bags with cloth-outer prints, & with zipper closure
www.Lilbunz.com sells zip-up waterproof bags in cute prints.
OR Sassy makes blue baby powder scented diaper trash bags. Wal-Mart, 50 for $2.50

daisymommy
04-16-2004, 01:35 PM
The Diaper Pail

It is recommended that your dirty cloth diapers not sit for more than 2-3 days before being washed. Any longer than that, and odors will set in and become difficult to remove. The favored cloth diaper pail is a Sterlite 28-quart trash can with a flip top lid. This pail will hold exactly 2-3 days worth of diapers.

Line your pail with plastic kitchen trash bags, or invest in a reusable waterproof pail liner that you simply toss into the wash with your diapers. These are economical and kind to the environment. Bummis nylon totes have a drawstring design that allows you to simply pull up on the string, drawing it closed, and transport your diapers to the washing machine.

I do not recommended that you soak your diapers in a “wet pail.” This old fashioned method can be dangerous with small children around. The sitting water breeds bacteria, it wears down the fibers of your diapers more quickly, and it is messy since you really need to change the dirty water each day. I recommended using a “dry pail” method. You simply toss your wet/dirty diapers into the pail, and shut the lid. Voila! Simple.

Before You Pail It
There are obviously a few steps between taking a dirty diaper off your child and tossing it into the diaper pail—but not many! Fleece liners that you can cut out yourself will help BM to peel off more easily. Or buy disposable flushable liners. Then shake off any solid waste into the toilet and flush. There is no need to dunk and swish your diaper (or fleece liner) unless it is a particularly messy one. You may want to keep a pair or rubber gloves in the bathroom for these occasions. Breastfed babies have very watery BM that dissolves like sugar in water. There is no need to wash it off before pailing it.

One nifty device that I’m glad I bought is called a Mini Shower. It hooks up to the water supply line behind your toilet. It looks just like a mini hand held showerhead on a hose. It is small and discrete, and hangs on the side of your toilet tank. You use it spray off your dirty diapers into the toilet, keeping your hands much cleaner.

But What About the Smell?
I can honestly tell you that your cloth diaper pail will smell much less than a pail full of disposables. You have already removed any solid waste, rather than wrapping it up into a little bundle and storing it away until trash night. Also, urine reacts with the gel and other chemicals in disposable diapers to make a horrid overwhelming smell. The only time I smell anything coming from my cloth diaper pail, is when I am emptying it into the washer. If you do find that your pail smells, you can shake some baking soda over your diapers, or toss a dryer sheet in the pail.

Tip: If you have a particularly messy diaper that looks like it may leave stains, spray some stain remover onto it before tossing it into the diaper pail. I highly recommend Zout.

daisymommy
04-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Cloth Diaper Web Links

Information to answer all your questions, research, and facts.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kfegelman/index.htm
A wealth of information all about cloth diapers…everything you need to know!

http://www.thediaperhyena.com/index.htm
All kinds of articles on why to switch to cloth, folding techniques, getting started, and eveything else you need to know. Click on the links on the left of the webpage. Run by a Christian mama!

http://diapershop.com/questions.htm
Great funny articles from a cloth diapering mama to answer your questions.

http://www.dy-dee.com/html/Folding/folding.html
Prefold-diaper folding techniques with pictures

http://www.diaperpin.com/home.asp
Cloth diaper reviews, tips, and more

Shopping for Cloth Diapers:

http://www.lilbunz.com/store/
Great place to shop for cloth diapering supplies…FREE shipping too!

http://store.naturalbabies.com/products/
Super place to shop for all your cloth diaper needs…flat rate shipping, lots of variety

http://www.kellyscloset.com
Good place to shop for cloth diapers…FREE shipping

http://www.darlingdiapers.com
The best cloth wipes!

http://www.sugarpeas.com/
My favorite hemp diapers (2 size system), great fleece and wool covers

http://www.lucyshopechest.com/store/Default.asp
The cutest custom made fitted diapers, All-In-One diapers, covers, and cloth wipes. She also makes adorable hand made clothing. Good prices too.

http://www.puddlecatchers.com/
One-size diapers to save you money!

http://www.Motherease.com
Affordable diapering system with One-size diapers

http://www.lizscloth.com
2 size diapers to help save you money

www.Kissaluvs.com
Kissaluvs fitted diapers outlet store

Proraps covers “seconds” (nothing wrong with these!) 1-800-397-8594

Other Online Community Message Boards with Cloth Diaper sections:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions
Cloth diapering message boards. A huge community of cloth-diaper moms who are truly experts, and will answer all your many questions. Scroll all the way down to the bottom, under “Natural Family Living” to the Diapering category

parkersmama
04-17-2004, 12:28 PM
Rashmi,
I reuse fleece covers during the day as well. Sometimes she might wear one in the morning and the same one in the evening and wear it again once or twice the next day (we use them more when we are at home vs. going out). I let them dry the same as wool covers and have never noticed any smell problems at all. I wash them with our regular clothes washing (kids stuff...no fabric softener). The only fleece covers I am currently using are from SugarPeas but I have some one-layer and some two-layer and neither ever smell.

mudder17
04-17-2004, 07:08 PM
Okay, what if you have a front loader? Soaking is not an option on these, AFAIK. So far, all I've had to deal with is BF diapers. So what I've done seems to work just fine. I'm kind of wondering what I might have to change when I deal with solids.

Here's my routine:

Cold wash with tide and chlorox 2 maybe once a week. Then I remove the fleece liners. I wash the rest on hot with a second rinse, using a tiny bit of tide and, if it smells kind of funny, I'll add baking soda. I'll add vinegar to the softener dispenser if I use baking soda. If there is a stain (usually there isn't, except on the AIO's, for some reason), I'll spray it with Dreft or Shout stain remover (is the dreft stain remover a problem for diapers?).

Dry on medium heat (normal setting).

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

daisymommy
04-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Eileen,
Just wanted to remind you that if you are removing the fleece liners from your wash load before washing with hot water, then the germs and bacteria are not getting killed. Be careful! There is no reason to remove them. Just wash everything together till it's all done, and toss into the dryer on high heat to further kill any remaining bacteria.

HTH,

mudder17
04-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Okay. The directions on the fleece material said to wash on cold, so I wasn't sure if the heat would destroy their wicking away the wetness from Kaya. As long as that doesn't get messed up, then I'll leave the fleece liners in the wash with the other dipes. Thanks for the heads up.

But what about the PUL AIO's or PUL Pocket Dipes? The manufacturer's directions say to wash on warm or cold and to dry on warm or low heat. How do I deal with the bacterial problem there?

TIA,

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

daisymommy
04-19-2004, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure which type of covers or pockets you have, but PUL is a very sturdy medical grade material that is design to stand up to high heat. Both Happy Heiny and Fuzzi Bunz tags say to wash in hot. So, I was eveything I own (diapers, PUL & nylon covers, pockets, etc.) in all three wash cylces including the hot one. You could actually dry them all together in the dryer on high heat as well, but by line drying them they will last longer. But many manufacturers of PUL (including the Baby Blanket diapers) suggest that you at least dry them on high on your dryer once a month to "reseal" the waterproofing ability of the PUL.
Good Luck!

daisymommy
04-19-2004, 11:52 PM
Cloth Wipes

When you’re using cloth diapers to cut down on costs, environmental waste, and chemicals next to your baby’s skin, wouldn’t it only make sense to use cloth wipes as well? They’re super soft, and are much more effective at cleaning up messes. I previously used 3 disposable wipes to clean up after a messy diaper, now I only use 1-2 cloth wipes. Simply toss into the diaper pail after each use, and launder with your diapers.

Fold your wipes in half, place a stack in a refillable plastic wipes container (or wipes warmer), and pour water over top. Or run them under hot water and squeeze out the excess. When using tap water, wipes need to be used within 1-2 days, or they will start smelling musty. But if you use distilled water, they will last for several days.

Or, if you prefer a special, all natural wipes recipe…

Wipes Recipe
2 cups distilled water
1 TB. Baby oil, or apricot oil
1 TB. Baby wash/soap

Optional Additions:
1-2 drops tea tree oil (a natural anti-fungal)
1-2 drops lavender oil
1 TB. 100% aloe vera gel

Mix all together in a sealed container. I like the 8oz. Rubbermaid plastic bottles. Just pour over a stack of cloth wipes in your reusable wipes container, or wipe warmer.

Pre-mixed Wipes Solutions
These are bottles of concentrated wipes solution that you can buy. Just add a TB. Of mix to water and Voila! Yummy smelling all natural wipes solution without the hassle. Both of these can be bought online from www.naturalbabies.com
Growing Greens Cleansing Greens wipes solution
Kissaluvs diaper wash
California Baby Diaper Area Wash (found at Whole Foods Market in Springfield, or online).

Note:
My favorite wipes are made from sherpa and velour. Terry and flannel are nice too, but they begin to look worn out sooner.

Places to Buy Cloth Wipes:
www.darlingdiapers.com
www.lucyshopechest.com
www.cosmicbaby.com

mudder17
04-20-2004, 06:17 PM
Okay. I currently use lite raps and bummis and I have dried them on medium heat occasionally and it doesn't seem to hurt them any. I'm currently trying out a Wonderoos; the directions tell me NOT to use high heat during the trial period, or it's mine, whether I like it or not. :) So I'll follow the directions during the trial period and then if I decide to keep them, I'll use the hot wash with them.

Thanks Amy!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

joemama
04-25-2004, 04:49 PM
I have not seen this addressed here, so here's my 2 cents' worth. I make a wipes solution with distilled water, aloe vera gel, Burt's apricot oil, tea tree oil, and lavender oil. I put this solution into some 4 oz. spray bottles and keep one near my cloth wipes and one in the diaper bag. I never pour the mixture over my wipes...just spray directly on the dry wipe or baby's bottom. IMO, this is more cost-efficient since you use much less solution per wipe. An added bonus is that it is a lot easier to travel with...no prewetting of wipes required! (Maybe it's not a big deal for anyone else, but my mama brain functions a lot better with fewer things to remember before a trip! :) ) And my wipes and solution never get moldy or musty this way.

HTH
joemama...and ellie, too!

starrynight
04-26-2004, 12:34 AM
BTW lavender and tto are both antibacterial so you really only need one if you want to simplify your solution :).

Right now I just wet one with warm water when home and use disposable wipes when out but am gonna try to experiment with solutions so I don't always have to run to the sink.

babymama
05-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Don't know if anyone is still participating in this thread, but I have a few questions about CDing for the experts....

1) Can someone post general prices for CD supplies? I spend about $30-40/month on disposables. How do CDs compare? Any ongoing costs besides the cost of washing the diapers, upgrading to bigger sizes?

2) I know you can buy boatloads of cute CD gear to match outfits, but about how many of each (soakers, prefolds, fleece liners, etc...) do you need to start?

3) Can you recommend a website/book for "how to-s"?

4) Diaper pails - do you use a regular diaper pail like the Baby Trend Diaper Champ or is there a special diaper pail?

5) Do you CD up until your kiddo is potty trained? I imagine so, but just wanted to check.

Those are all of the questions that I can think of for now.

Thanks for your expertise! This thread has been really helpful to me!!!

Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

daisymommy
05-24-2004, 01:53 PM
Q: Can someone post general prices for CD supplies? I spend
about $30-40/month on disposables. How do CDs compare? Any
ongoing costs besides the cost of washing the diapers,
upgrading to bigger sizes?

A:General costs of cloth diapers:
Prefolds- $1 each slightly more for bigger sizes for toddlers
Covers-$6 for Proraps or $4 from their outlet, $10-$13 for cuter printed PUL covers, $15 for fleece, $20 for wool.
Fitted Diapers- $10-$12 each
Fleece liners- Buy some fleece from a fabric store and cut your own. 1 yard (about $5) will make around 1.5-2 dozen liners.

Granted, it will cost more in the beginning to stock up on cloth diapers, in 2-3 months time they will have paid for themselves. Then you will be diapering for FREE! (not including detergent, water, electricity to wash them--but you get my point). And you can reuse these diapers on future children.

Q: I know you can buy boatloads of cute CD gear to match
outfits, but about how many of each (soakers, prefolds, fleece
liners, etc...) do you need to start?

A: I'll add a seperate post for that info since it will be long.

Q: Can you recommend a website/book for "how to-s"?

A: See my previous post that had website links. There are a few GREAT ones that tell you everything you would ever want to know about cloth diapering. There aren't really any good up to date books on the subject. There is one (forgot the name), but the web links are outdated, and it is very basic--wouldn't recomend it myself.

Q: Diaper pails - do you use a regular diaper pail like the
Baby Trend Diaper Champ or is there a special diaper pail?

A: Most regular diaper pails do not have a large enough opening for cloth diapers--they get stuck in the hole. Most of us use a Sterlite flip top trash can as our pail. The 28quart one holds 2 days worth of diapers, the 54 quart one holds up to 5 days worth. You can use trash bags as liners (there are even scented bags by GLAD), or get a reuseable liner by Bummis or Happy Tushies. A large bag fits the 28 quart, a X-large fits the 54 quart.

Q: Do you CD up until your kiddo is potty trained? I imagine
so, but just wanted to check.

A: Yes, you do! There are even cloth training pants that work just like Pull-Ups, but they are cloth and therefore reuseable!

Hope that helped!

daisymommy
05-24-2004, 02:00 PM
Stocking Up…What Do I Need? I'll post general prices later when I have time...

Newborn – 4 Months (8-12 changes daily)
2-3 dozen infant 4x8x4 Chinese Prefolds
*Around 4 months you may need to move up to Regular size prefolds).
OR 2 dozen Kissaluv’s fitted diapers (or a mixture of prefolds and fitteds)
6 Diaper covers with leg gussets (newborn or small)
2-3 Snappi’s if using prefolds

5 Months – 12 Months (7-9 changes daily)
2 dozen Premium 4x8x4 Chinese Prefolds
OR approx. 20 fitted diapers
4-6 diaper covers (size medium usually)
2-3 Fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers
2-3 BabyKicks Hemparoo prefolds (for use as night time inserts in Fuzzi Bunz)

12 Months – 30 months (6-7 changes daily)
12-24 Premium 4x8x4 Chinese Prefolds
*Sometime around 2 yrs., your child may need to move up to Toddler size prefolds.
OR 12-18 fitted diapers
4-6 diaper covers (size Large)
2-3 Fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers
2-3 BabyKicks Hemparoo prefolds (for use as night time inserts in Fuzzi Bunz)

*You may also want some All-In-One or pocket diapers to supplement your collection at any age. They are especially great to pack in the diaper bag for when you’re on the go.

Other items, for every age:
2-3 dozen cloth wipes, or buy 2-3 packs of cheap baby washcloths from the store.
1-2 size Large Bummis nylon reusable totes to use as pail liners
*OR a Coleman/Ozark camping utility tote. Nylon, water proof, and only $4 from Walmart.
1 diaper pail. I recommend the Sterlight 28-quart flip top trash can from Target.
2 dozen-fleece liners—buy some fleece from the fabric store and cut them out yourself!

Trying it Out…
Many moms would like to try out cloth diapers before they commit to making the switch, and spending the money on a full blown diaper set-up. Most cloth diaper websites out there sell Sampler/Starter Packs that let you try out several kinds of diapers and covers. Or, buy:
1 dozen Chinese Prefolds, a Snappi closure device, 2-4 covers (get a mix to try), a fitted diaper
an All-In-One or pocket diaper, and 2 packs of baby washcloths (optional).

babymama
05-25-2004, 02:59 PM
Amy -
Thanks so much! This is exactly the info I was looking for. I am going to look into the starter packs you mentioned.

Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

bmlm224
08-07-2004, 06:51 PM
What if you don't have a washer/dryer in your house. Our laundromat charges $1.25 to wash and dry. There are 3 settings on the washer - Cold, Warm & Hot. No presoak, etc. What do you do then?

mudder17
08-07-2004, 07:33 PM
I would probably do two cycles--one on cold (this is a prewash that would get rid of most of the soiled stuff and prevent stains from setting) and one on hot (to sterilize). I would put only a small amount of detergent in the second cycle to prevent buildup.

I would probably not get AIOs because they would be hardest to dry, meaning you might need a couple cycles. As it is with our prefolds, one drying cycle on normal heat (medium) is not quite enough to completely dry them--I tend to hang them up afterwards. Of course, I also tend to put slightly more than the recommended number of diapers in one cycle.

Other people may have better suggestions. I know Juliet (jec) uses coin-op machines. She may be able to give you better advice.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_rosequartz_3m.gif Breastfed 3 months and counting

megtell
09-10-2004, 12:43 PM
A good calculator:

http://www.diaperpin.com/calculator/calculator.asp

The DIaper Pin is a GREAT resource!
http://www.diaperpin.com

I use the Diaper Champ, and adore it. I used it for cloth and then disposables and now cloth again. The best thing on the market. I thought the Diaper Genie was a humungo waste of time. The Champ sits in our laundry room (where we change the girls) and there is literally NO smell, and we don't need any special gadgets or potions or anything. Although I do like Diaper Buddies a LOT: http://mywahbiz.com/cgi-bin/auto/prodmod.pl?pa=3&su=1&hc=p1035474849&ab=9&aid=1&si=TheSoapDeck You can toss them in with the wash. I don't soak anything either.

I ADORE the cute prints and became obsessed with sewing my own. You can save a ton of money if you do it practically. (which I don't. I love the AIO's LOL)

I'd get 24 cpf's, one set infant one set premiums. I like to order from http://store.naturalbabies.com/products/ she has a great reputation, fast shipping and super mama. This will run you about 80.00. DO NOT get the store brand flat fold diapers (Gerber etc). They are not as high quality as the authentic Chinese prefolds.

Then three covers per size -- three small, medium and large. If you order seconds from Proraps (1-800-397-8594) they run only 3.00 each I believe. That's it. You have spent under 100, and you only then pay for washing. I dry in the sun. (this also bleaches out any resistant stains)

I have a great resource here if you or anyone is interested:
http://cookiepants.com/CDreviews.htm

psophia17
01-08-2005, 07:12 PM
www.bareware.ca has lots of CD and other natural options for baby/mom related stuff, and they have really good prices!

mudder17
01-29-2005, 02:49 PM
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=253893

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=254037

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya (http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya)
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

kthomp
02-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Link to the comprehensive pocket inserts thread:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=254435

HTH someone looking for info about all the different inserts!

mudder17
02-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Okay, these are just some links for previous posts (I went back about a year) on Newborn Stashes, Cloth Wipes, and Diaper Pails. I'm sure I missed some links, but this should get people started who want to diaper newborns. HTH some!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=60&topic_id=27552&mesg_id=27552&listing_type=search|Newborn 1]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=26113&mode=full|Newborn 2]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=25762&mode=full|Newborn 3]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=23676&mode=full|Newborn 4]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=23047&mode=full|Newborn 5]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=22620&mode=full|Newborn 6]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=15038&mode=full|Newborn 7]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=14111&mode=full|Newborn 8]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=26264&mode=full|Newborn 9]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=25071&mode=full|Newborn 10]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=14536&mode=full|Prepping Newborn Stash]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=23854&mode=full|Cloth Wipes 1]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=29189&mode=full|Cloth Wipes 2]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=24497&mode=full|Cloth Wipes 3]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=26818&mode=full|Cloth Wipes & Warmers 1]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=30468&mode=full|Cloth Wipes & Warmers 2]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=26547&mode=full|Uses for Cloth Wipes]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=29856&mode=full|place to buy cloth wipes]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=30406&mode=full|info on diaper pail and CDs]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=30562&mode=full&page=|Diaper Creams]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=21538&mode=full|Diaper Pail 1]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=11533&mode=full|Diaper Pail 2]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=28673&mode=full|Diaper Pail 3]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=28157&mode=full|Diaper Pail 4]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=25520&mode=full|Diaper Pail 5]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=20343&mode=full|Newborns & Prefolds]

[link:http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=20521&mode=full|Wrap & Kissaluvs]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=20535&mode=full|Reasons for CD'ing]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=24809&mode=full|Newborn Covers 1]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=19198&mode=full|Newborn Covers 2]

[link:www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=27199&mode=full|3 month old]

mudder17
02-22-2005, 07:31 PM
Hard Water thread (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=254483)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya (http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya)

mudder17
02-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Pocket Diapers (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=254516)

Eileen

maestramommy
04-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Hi:

I know I'm jumping in here on an old email, but I've read through all the threads. My sister (Eileen, mother of beautiful Kaya), has been encouraging me to give CD's a try. My baby's not due til October, which gives me plenty of time to gather info. I have read all of the postings with a lot of interest. It's fascinating and uplifting to see that all of you very busy moms take so much time to write these very substantial postings. But thanks! I've certainly benefited from all of your insights.

I have a specific question concerning waste laws in the US. I had read somewhere, either on a posting, or a link that it is illegal to dispose of human feces in the trash, that it should be flushed instead. My sister has explained the chemical reasons why this is a bad idea, but can anyone confirm the legality of this, and refer me to some documentation. My husband was quite interested but wanted some offical evidence. If this is true, then the thousands of people who use sposies, must be dumping a lot of poop in the trash. I don't remember ever seeing anyone flush the contents of sposies down the toliet.

Thanks for any info!

mudder17
04-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Hey Sis! You may want to repost this as a new thread with a new subject line! :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 13 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

maestramommy
04-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Hi Eileen!

Okay, how do I do that? Do I start a new topic or what? I don't know how to do that either :-).

Saartje
08-29-2005, 07:58 PM
http://tinyurl.com/7quk7

mudder17
08-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Prefolds to Prefitted by Shandelle (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=254011)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif , 18 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

chloe31673
09-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Please help!!! I am going to me a new mom in 5 weeks. I plan to use cloth diapers but my head is spinning with all the options. I have settled on an AIO but should I use Kushies? Motherease? fuzzi-bunz? re'uzm? to name only a few. Which is best?
Thanks,
Chloe

tbriese
09-26-2005, 02:39 PM
hi chloe! you might want to check out the newborn link somewhere in this thread. anywhoo...i cd'ed my DD from the day we got home from the hospital. i used prefolds or kissaluvs 0's with a prorap cover. i started using fuzzibunz when she started at the sitter at 9 weeks. they worked well for us but it has been stated that sometimes the pockets and AIO don't contain BF poo very well. also, i've heard that absorbancy isn't as great with the AIO but are better with the pockets because you can customize your insert.

the down side to CD'ing is that some of it is trial & error. of course, this makes it kind of fun, too :-). for example, i thought i'd love the fuzzibunz but i've decided i like velcro better. also, i'd heard such great reviews about babyblanket pockets but they leaked on my DD so i can't use them. there's no single "best" out there and that can be frustrating when you first start out.

come back with any questions. this board has been so helpful for me!

mudder17
09-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Yes, the newborn links is only a few lines up. It should help you get started. Honestly, I wouldn't suggest AIOs for a newborn (leaky poop isn't well contained), unless you're ready for some blowouts and if you're formula feeding (poop isn't quite as runny, usually).

Welcome! Please feel free to start yourself a new thread with all your questions. Hopefully we can get you started. :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif , 19 months, hoping for 2 years

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

american_mama
11-04-2006, 09:26 PM
I made an introductory brochure about how to use cloth diapers, which I thought would be helpful here. It is based a large part on info. in the CD 101 thread, and also includes a one-page sheet of tips and place to write notes on various brands of cloth diapers.

The brochure is saved as a pdf. Just a click on the attachment and follow the prompts. If you have a pop up blocker, read the little message at the top of the window and click to override. If your computer doesn't automatically decompress and open the two files, uou will need a decompression software like WinZip or PKWare.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=257892

stillplayswithbarbies
03-17-2007, 06:17 PM
There are so many new moms who are thinking of CDing, or who haven't even thought about diapering, I thought it might be good for us to start a thread about the basics. I didn't know this stuff when I started, and I think if I had known more about what was out there I might have made better choices to start out with.

I'd like to talk about the parts of a diaper, maybe someone else can add a post about wipes or creams or whatever.

A diaper has three basic parts. Working from the inside to the outside , they are:

1. a layer next to baby's skin to keep baby dry.
You don't want baby to be sitting there soaked in pee, you want baby to feel dry even after peeing. In disposables this layer is a stay-dry lining that lets moisture go through one way, but not back towards the skin. In cloth diapers, this layer is fleece or suedecloth. Only certain kinds of fleece will do this. Some people just cut rectangles of fleece and lay in inside the diaper. Some diapers are lined with fleece, sewn in place. Some diapers are pocket diapers with the fleece next to the skin. Some people skip this layer and just make sure to change the diaper as soon as the baby pees.

2. an absorbant layer to soak up the pee.
In disposable diapers, this layer is paper plus some gel beads that soak up moisture and hold it in place. In cloth diapers, this layer is usually cotton or hemp, sewn in layers. Some people add an extra absorbant layer called a "doubler" which is just layers of cloth sewn together. Having it separate makes it dry faster because many layers of cloth sewn together take a long time to dry. Some diapers use a microfiber towel as the absorbant layer. A prefold would be the absorbant layer by itself. A fitted diaper would be the absorbant layer, and can be made out of different types of fabric sewn in layers. A pocket diaper needs something put into the "pocket" to be the absorbant layer.

3. a waterproof cover to keep their clothes dry.
In disposable diapers, this is the plastic layer that you can feel on the outside of the diaper. This layer keeps the pee from soaking all the way through to their clothes. Cloth diaper covers can be plastic (PUL or nylon) or wool or fleece. Wool is naturally water repellent when it has natural lanolin in it. (otherwise sheep would bulk up like a sponge in a rainstorm!). The type of fleece that is used as diaper covers is water repellent. A plastic type of cover can be reused all day long unless it gets poop on it. Wool covers need to air dry between pees (but don't need washed every time). Fleece covers can usually be used only once before they have to be washed.

So, if you want to use cloth diapers, you need to decide what you want for each of the three layers. The differences have to do with cost, ease of use, and absorbancy. (and cuteness!)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Page
03-19-2008, 12:53 PM
I would really like to get this brochure, but when I click on the link, it just opens the same thread in another window. There's no popup blocker for me to override, so I can't figure out the problem.

Is there another way to get the pdf brochure?

american_mama
03-19-2008, 05:07 PM
The attachment with the cloth diaper intro brochure was lost when the boards moved to new software. It has to be compressed again to be posted again, but I don't know how to compress the file.

If anyone knows how to compress a 500 kb pdf file, please PM me so we can get the attachment back up.

Until that is solved, anyone can PM with their email address to get a copy of the pdf file sent as a normal email attachment.