PDA

View Full Version : How much have you spent on cloth diapers?

KBecks
04-16-2004, 01:29 PM
OK, this is perhaps a too personal question, but I'm wondering with all the kinds of diapers, and all the accessories, etc.... how much do the supplies end up costing?

From reading the "intro" thread, it seems like pocket dipes are the neatest, but also probably the most expensive... and if you're purchasing several types of diapers, it must add up over time.

So, how much does a CDing expert pay for diapers for the first few years?

While some people may be CD fanatics like stroller fanatics... does purchasing diaper stuff truly become addictive?

stillplayswithbarbies
04-16-2004, 01:33 PM
here is an old thread on this subject:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=9896&mesg_id=9896&listing_type=search

I know that people have spent more since then. :) But that question was how much we spent on the initial stash.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

daisymommy
04-16-2004, 01:47 PM
How much do you really need to spend?
About $100 or less on prefolds and Proraps covers.

Can it be addicting?
Wooo-hoooaaa, absolutely! I'm sure I'm approaching the $800 mark (shhh...please don't tell DH!) I started this CD venture to help us save money, but so far, all I've done is collect cute diapers like they were designer clothes! But you know what? I've still saved money over disposables!

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-16-2004, 02:06 PM
I gotta say I asked this several months ago (it might be the thread mentioned above)...and I love my girlies but I don't think folks were totally accurate...or didn't count what they didn't like, or didn't count what one day they'd sell...
In the thread i had sepent a good $200 more than most and I am a pretty conservative CDer...though we don't spoise at all!!!!!

I just really didn't beieve that I could have spent more than many here...

Maybe I'm worng but a few of us discussed this after the fact and I know many wondered...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

toomanystrollers
04-16-2004, 07:33 PM
I wonder how I could convince the IRS that collecting cloth diapers is a hobby and deduct my expenses? LOL

egoldber
04-16-2004, 09:00 PM
I spent about $250 initially, but I honestly have not kept track.

If I had to do it all over again, I would go with 6-12 prefolds and 12-18 pockets (stuffed with cheap microfiber towels) and be done with it. That's what I use now.

But I started out as a fitteds user and did that happily for awhile. Then my DD became a VERY heavy wetter and the fitteds I had weren't cutting it. So I bought about a dozen hemp fitteds to replace the cotton fitteds I had initially. But I discovered that she was SUCH a heavy wetter that even the most absorbant of hemp fitteds were not cutting it for us. So I consider my dabbling in hemp fitteds to be somewhat of a waste of time and money.

Since then I have realized that my inherent laziness makes prefolds and pockets so much simpler for me. :) You do have to buy a set in each size, but if you go with less expensive or second-hand pockets, its not so bad. You probably only need 3 sets at most.

I think the key is not to get sucked into the "cute diaper" madness. :) That way lies lots of $$$. :) If you enjoy it and can afford it, great. But if your goal is to save money and use less stuff, then its not a road you want to go down!!! Come here for diapering advice, but otherwise stay away!!! LOL!!

HTH,

C99
04-16-2004, 09:33 PM
I have tracked how much I've spent on diapers since the get-go, since my husband initially thought that CDing was madness. I've included shipping and taxes, where applicable, in my totals since you often cannot get CDs without paying someone to ship them to you.

I've spent about $1100 on cloth diapers and supplies since I started ordering CDs in December 2002.

papal
04-16-2004, 09:34 PM
More than I care to admit!!
I keep a list of what i have bought on my website.. so if i want to add it up, i can.. but i would rather not right now! :)
Here it is:
24 Bleached CPFs Infant 4x6x4 naturalbabies.com($1.40 each)
12 Unbleached CPFs Infant 4x8x4 naturalbabies.com($1.50 each)
1 Kissaluvs Size 0 (white) naturalbabies.com($8.95)
1 MotherEase One Size Diaper and Snap In Liner (mother-ease.com) Sampler.
1 Liz's Cloth Size OneHemp Fleece with Snap in Liner (Liz's Cloth) (Flowers)($12.00)
1 Liz's Cloth Size One Hemp Fleece with Snap In Liner (Liz's Cloth) (Sail Away)($12.00)
1 Buckeye Bottom - Custom Quick Dry Fitted with Snap in Liner, front applix closure (Happy Flowers woven) - Small/Newborn (BuckeyeBottoms)($10.00)
1 Buckeye Bottom - Custom All Hemp Fitted with Snap in Liner, front applix closure (Yellow serging, trifold soaker pad) - Small/Newborn (BuckeyeBottoms) ($10.50)
1 Small Quick Dry Fitted with Terry Snap in Soaker (Monkey Head print) - Lucy's Hope Chest($10.00)
1 Small, sherpa in the KNIT (watermelon) - (Posie Patch)($10.50)
1Small, hemp in the WOVEN retro snake print with extra long snap-in doubler(Posie Patch)($10.50+$1.50)
1 Sugarpeas Size 1 with green snap in soaker
1 Firefly Sleep TightSmall Hemp/Cotton (fuzbaby.com)($18.00)
10 Unbleached CPFs Regukar 4x6x4 Punkinbutt($1.85 each)
8 Unbleached Infant Indian Prefolds (GraniteSmith on Ebay)
6 Unbleached large Indian Prefolds (GraniteSmith on Ebay)
1 United Color Diaper Hemp Pink Snaps Small (Molly Taylor - MommasDream) -
1 Sunshine Diaper Orange Serging Size A (Molly Taylor - MommasDream)
1 Sunshine Diaper Yellow Serging Size A (Molly Taylor - MommasDream)

Covers
1 Bumkins Diaper Cover Print - Newborn (Blue Cow) naturalbabies.com($9.95)
1 Bummies Super Print - Newborn (Piggy's ride) naturalbabies.com($9.95)
1 Bummies Super Snap - Newborn (White) naturalbabies.com($9.50)
1 Bummies SIWW - newborn (white) naturalbabies.com($8.95)
1 Prorap classic snaps - newborn (white) naturalbabies.com($6.50)
1 Prorap velcro - newborn (mint) naturalbabies.com($6.95)
1 MotherEase AirFlow Cover (mother-ease.com)
1 Buckeye Bottom Custom made PUL cover, side applix closure (Happy Flowers Woven) Small/newborn (BuckeyeBottoms)($8.00)
1 Bummies SIWW - small (white) Punkinbutt($9.50)
1 Bummies Whisper Pant (white) PunkinButt($5.50)
1 Raspberry windpro fleece (small) Sugarpeas($17.00)
1 Pink 2 layerlightweight windpro fleece (small) Sugarpeas($18.50)
1 Bumpy Day Cover Small (Fish) ($13.50) LilBunz
1 Bumpy Day Cover Small (Zoo) ($13.50) LilBunz
1 Bumpy Wool Small ($18.95) naturalbabies.com
1 LiteWrap Cover Small ($6.95) LilBunz
1 Custom-made wool soaker Medium ($36.00)WoolyBumBums

Accessories
3 Mint Snappi Diaper Fastener naturalbabies.com($2.00 each)
3 Yellow Diaper Pins naturalbabies.com($0.85 each)
5 Kissaluvs Stretch Terry Wipes naturalbabies.com($0.95 each)
6 Baby Greens Wipes (LittleSprouts.com)($)
12 Sherpa/Velour wipes from CosmicBaby ($10 for a dozen)
Stainless Steel 30 liter diaper pail
BabyBee diaper rash cream
3 flannel/sherpa wipes from CosmicBaby ($8 for a dozen)
3 flannel/velour wipes from CosmicBaby ($8 for a dozen)
6 sherpa/velour wipes from CosmicBaby ($10 for a dozen)
6 sherpa wipes from CosmicBaby ($5 for a dozen)
5 microfleece topped doublers (3 sherpa. 2 hemp) from fluffymail.com ($2.25 each)
5 microfleece topped doublers from fluffymail.com ($2.25 each)

papal
04-16-2004, 09:37 PM
Whoa!! Caroline, I would love to see your stash list if you have it handy!

C99
04-16-2004, 10:35 PM
Um, I'm not sure what all I have, but I will try to list it out. I've sold some things as well, but that's reflected in my total, even though I didn't always break even in the testing out stages. I think this is everything...

12 Kissaluv size 0s
6 Bumkins AIOs, size small
6 infant-sized CPFs
6 infant-sized premium UBCPFs
2 Justin's Buttons fitteds, size small
1 Justin's Button AIO, size small
3 Prorap covers, size XS
2 Prorap AIOs, size small
1 Aristocrat wool soaker, size small
1 Bizzy B Hive AIO, size small
4 Prorap covers, size small
1 Bumkins cover, size small

2 Starbunz fitteds, size medium
1 Toadie fitted, size medium
3 Happy Heineys, size medium
3 medium Joeybunz
2 Darling Diaper AIOs, size medium
4 Liz's Cloth hemp fitteds, size 2
6 standard UBCPFs
6 standard-size, premium UBCPFs
2 hemp PFs
1 Kissaluvs contour
2 Bumpy night covers, size medium
1 Lambkin wool cover, size medium
3 Greenearth Baby wraps, size medium

1 Starbunz Koala pocket AIO, size large
3 elbee baby fitteds, size medium-long
5 Happy Heineys, size large
5 HH stuffins
4 Darling Diaper AIOs, size large
6 Little Cush diapers w/ 4 stuffins
(6 Little Cush diapers w/ stuffins on order)

1 Chumbas PUL sandwich, size large
1 Bumpy day cover, size large
1 Bumpy wool cover, size large
1 Stacinator wool cover, size large
1 Bizzy B Hive wool cover, size large
1 elbee night-weight wool cover, size large
1 Darling Diaper wool cover, size medium-large
1 Sugarbums wool cover, size large

3 red Snappis
2 blue Snappis
6 Justin's Buttons wipes
6 Fuzzibunz wipes
12 Darling Diaper wipes
6 Darling Diapers doublers
Euculan
Mini shower
Burt's Bees diaper cream
Red Bummis tote, size small
Blue Bummis tote, size small

mharling
04-16-2004, 11:14 PM
Caroline -
I sure hope you mean December 2002, not December 2003!!!!!

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

sweetbasil
04-17-2004, 12:12 AM
So I totally got sucked into the diaper-buying frenzy for a while there but have since sold off what didn't work for us, slowed down purchasing, and found a system that's working great for us...no more stocking-stalkings for me! LOL!

Anyway, our grand total is $569.53. I purchased some fitteds initially, but have sold those, and a few other items off since then. Admittedly, we have no newborn dipes, which will be something I'll have to work on when we (hopefully) have another baby one day. So our complete stash now includes (for FT CDing of DS#2 and Nighttime CDing of DS#1):

Startup wipes solution (baby wash/Burt's Bees apricot oil/Burt's Bees diaper cream)
Downstairs diaper pail
4 diaper pail liners (probably one too many)
2 squirt bottles for wipes solution
1 sterilite wipes box
30 Darling Diaper wipes (18 full-sized, 12 half-sized)

3 bcpfs, premium
6 ubcpfs, premium
12 icpfs, toddler
1 yd. fleece for liners
4 pkgs WalMart Microfiber towels
6 Hemparoo JoeyBunz (1M, 5L)
1 MOE Microfiber insert
3 LLL Nighty Newts
2 LLL Salamander Soakers
4 snappis and 6 dappi pins

1 Bummi Super Whisper Wrap, M
1 Bumpy Day cover, M
1 Bumpy Night cover, M
1 Green Earth cover, M

1 Sugarbums WindPro Fleece Cover, Sz. M
1 FCB WindPro Fleece Cover, Sz. 2

3 BB pockets, sz. M
3 FB pockets, sz. M
1 HH pocket, sz. M
2 el Bee Baby pockets, sz. M

6 BB pockets, sz. L
1 Doodle Bottoms pocket, sz. L
1 Ellas Diapers pocket, sz. L
1 Fern and Faerie pocket, sz. L (charity auction, so price slightly inflated!)
1 HH pocket, sz. L
5 knickernappies pockets, sz. L
1 Simply Cloth pocket, sz. L
1 MudpieBabies AIO, sz. L
1 FMBG AIO, sz. L
3 Daisy-Doodles AIOS, sz. L (with 7 snap-in soakers and 2 liners)

mudder17
04-17-2004, 12:14 AM
Okay, I've been keeping track of baby expenses, so this isn't too difficult for me to answer. However, I'm not sure how many of everything I have since I didn't record that, so some of these numbers may be estimates:

1 Little Squirt Water Spray
2 Diaper Dekor + Refills, 6 (med) Lite Wraps
36 Darling Diaper Diaper Wipes
12 Kissaluv 0's, seconds
12 Diaper Doublers, seconds
5 Deluxe Newborn AIO Diapers (All Together Diaper Company)
12 Velour/Sherpa Wipes (Mom & Babe Company)
3 Snappi CD Fastener
6 Pins (we don't use this for diapers since Snappis turned out to be easier; we use them when we swaddle)
1 Changing Pad (JC Penney)
1 Cosmic Baby Shop Large Fitted Diaper
24 EPF's (preemie)
12 IPF's (infant)
19 CPF's (infant)
4 Color Prorap Covers, infant
2 Prorap classic covers, newborn
12 Earth Baby Diaper Wipes/Liners
2 Bummis
2 Literap Prints
1.5 yds fleece for liners

Total Damage: $651 (this includes tax, S&H)

We used the kissaluvs exclusively for the first week, but are now mostly using prefolds

Edited to say: $450 if you only count the diapers, covers, pins and snappis

Also, I definitely agree that PF's + covers are the affordable way to go. If I knew what I know now, I would have gotten the PF's, the kissaluv 0's, the Bummis and Literaps and MAYBE the newborn Proraps. With these things plus the fleece, you can do pretty well. I now use the preemie EPF's as doublers and they work pretty well. The doublers (seconds) from kissaluvs can absorb more, and they're pretty cheap as well. Done this way, we could have kept our expenses below $350. But hindsight is 20-20 and besides, I've enjoyed the adventure! :) One thing that is true is that having to get diapers that newborns can use for maybe 3 weeks does suck up some $$. But although Kaya outgrew her newborn covers very quickly, and can no longer use the preemie PFs alone, she can still fit the kissluv 0s (and she's already over 11 pounds).

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

C99
04-17-2004, 12:42 AM
Yes, I meant 2002!

parkersmama
04-17-2004, 12:49 PM
The only truly cheap way to do CDing is to use exclusively prefolds and inexpensive covers (such as Proraps). This way really does work out to only cost you about $200-300 over the diapering life of your child. BUT, there aren't many who manage to stick with this! For one thing, some babies are heavy wetters and you have to struggle to find a solution to keep them (and you!) dry. Also, the same covers and dipes will fit different kids differently! So what works for one might not work for another. But, by far the biggest black hole for money is experimenting with all the WAHM diapers out there!!! If you're trying to save money, stay as far away from this forum as possible with the exception of seeking an occasional answer to a question. ;)

I've been CDing from the newborn stage with my dd. Right now we have too many diapers...some I'm trying to sell and some I can't bear to part with. :) I have not tracked it but did originally get into this to save $. My inital stash cost between $200 & $250. Since then, I've sold most of it (making back about 50%) and have bought *tons* of other diapers! I'd say that about one year into diaper buying, I've spent in the neighborhood of $800 (less what I've sold). It might be closer to $1000. Hard to say. It's definitely not economical the way that I do it but it is environmentally friendly and there's my justification!! :P

luluc
04-17-2004, 03:19 PM
I have all the receipts but never tallied them up. I was afraid to but now I am pleasently surprised. Of course I will need to add to my stash in a bit but what I have now should be able to take us for another 6 months. So far I've spent $411.41. Here's my stash.

5 SP size 1
5 SP doublers
2 FB medium
2 HH medium
3 Sugarplums medium
1 lillybottoms AIO
12 UBCPF
6 JB medium
6 micro doublers
1 SP snap in medium
3 SP size 2
3 BB medium

2 Bumpy covers medium
1 Bummis cover medium
2 SP Fleece covers medium
2 SP wool covers medium

1 pail
1 wetbag
1 1/2 yard fleece (I had leftover from my fleece pouch I made)
1 dozen flannel and terry wipes I made from leftover fabric.

That's it! Not a lot but it works right now!

papal
04-17-2004, 07:09 PM
PHEW!!! I seriously thought you meant in the last 3 months and I was like WHAT????? heehee.. Glad to hear it has been more than a year. :)

jmofarrill
04-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Cd'ing can be addictive if you let it be. There are so many WAHMs making so many diapers with adorable prints, or really attractive dyeing and hand-painted accents, or beautiful hand-knit or hand-crochet soakers.

If you're in it to save money, as has already been mentioned, then prefolds and inexpensive covers are they way to go. I got into cd'ing because of my daughter's health - I am not comfortable with the chemicals in disposables, esp with them in contact with her reproductive organs - so I didn't go the economical route, and I have spent enough to make a down payment on a car. I've sold a lot, too, but I haven't kept track of my sales. One postive, though, if I have another child then I already have diapers for the babe and I won't have to outlay much money except for some infant prefolds. Fortunately I've learned how to knit, so I've stopped buying wool knit soakers (on of my biggest addictions! LOL) and I'm in the process of making my own. :D

jmofarrill
04-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Cd'ing can be addictive if you let it be. There are so many WAHMs making so many diapers with adorable prints, or really attractive dyeing and hand-painted accents, or beautiful hand-knit or hand-crochet soakers.

If you're in it to save money, as has already been mentioned, then prefolds and inexpensive covers are they way to go. I got into cd'ing because of my daughter's health - I am not comfortable with the chemicals in disposables, esp with them in contact with her reproductive organs - so I didn't go the economical route, and I have spent enough to make a down payment on a car. I've sold a lot, too, but I haven't kept track of my sales. One postive, though, if I have another child then I already have diapers for the babe and I won't have to outlay much money except for some infant prefolds. Fortunately I've learned how to knit, so I've stopped buying wool knit soakers (on of my biggest addictions! LOL) and I'm in the process of making my own. :D

lizajane
04-18-2004, 11:45 PM
i am one of the prefold and proraps users, as another poster mentioned. i do now have 13 pockets, 3 of which were gifts, 4 of which were used and less than half price. i don't need any more diapers and don't expect to for a while. i will need 4 large covers and 2 more large pockets, because i currently have only 2 large pockets and all the rest are mediums or like mediums. however, i am just starting to make diapers. which means i will be able to make them for myself for about $4 or less/pocket or cover. and $2 for an insert/diaper. so i will spend a few more bucks on diapers for size reasons.

i have not gotten caught up in the diaper feeding frenzy. i do not buy "cute" diapers. i do not stray from my system of prefolds and proraps with pockets for nighttime/extended outings. i have zero interest in fitteds. i have zero interest in wool or fleece covers. i may make myself some hemp contours. but i can make 4 for $5.50. well, i guess i would add a fleece topper, so maybe 4 for $8. i dunno.

so when i said what i spent in the last cost thread, i really meant it. i really have only spent another $50 or so on pockets, and i really will only spend another $50 or so on larger sizes. (i said in that thread that i would spend a little more for larger sizes.)

i think i said that i spent/will spend about $300+ on diapering my child, and my second child. and it is true. i am not hiding anything. i am not mistaken.

so using cds to save money can be done. i guess you just have to be poor enough.

mharling
04-19-2004, 12:12 AM
My rough guesstimate is that I've spent around $450. This includes the diaper pail, liner and lots of cloth wipes. I have probably sold about $75 of that and have a few more things to thin out.

Aside from a few odds and ends (of which I have sold some), my normal rotation is prefolds, fleece liners, Bumpy Day covers, fleece covers and pocket dipes/stuffers. I, too, tend to shy away from the cute expensive stuff. (Although I did get carried away in snagging a couple dipes from Righteous Baby because I *could*. I will be selling those and they are included in the $450).

This does not include many things for a newborn. Lane wore some small stuff right when I started cd-ing, but I didn't have enough for full-time. It does, however, include things I have purchased that he will wear later.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

jmofarrill
04-19-2004, 12:27 AM
>I gotta say I asked this several months ago (it might be the
>thread mentioned above)...and I love my girlies but I don't
>think folks were totally accurate...or didn't count what they
>didn't like, or didn't count what one day they'd sell...
>In the thread i had sepent a good $200 more than most and I
>am a pretty conservative CDer...though we don't spoise at
>all!!!!!
>
>I just really didn't beieve that I could have spent more than
>many here...
>
>Maybe I'm worng but a few of us discussed this after the fact
>and I know many wondered...

Did you really wonder and talk about what we said we spent?

ivparker
04-20-2004, 09:17 AM
I have spent probably around $700 and my firt baby hasn't arrived yet. Everytime there is a thread about a new awesome diaper I just can't help buying one. And after paying for shipping, the price for one diaper usually ends up between $15-$17. But I tell you I have been real good this last month. I haven't bought much. I think my extreme excitement about getting a diaper in the mail is slowing down, which is a good thing because I have 6 more working days and I will officially be a stay at home mom-to-be! I am so excited but I also can't spend money like the way I did.
Ivanna