PDA

View Full Version : Ack! His pocket dipes are so hot...

cvharris
04-19-2004, 12:34 AM
We ran out to Home Depot today with DS (for babyproofing things) and when we came home and changed his diaper (a pocket) he was just so hot down there...it was really gross. Granted, it was a hot day and he was in a sling most of the time so that part of his body was pressed against my hip, but his 'crown jewels' ;) were red and wet when the inserts weren't...

So, I am wondering if using pockets in the summer is a good idea. I know they are probably not as hot as sposies probably get, but is anyone else concerned about this or is it just me...

I'm thinking maybe I should avoid the PUL in the summer, or at least when he's not in air conditioning.

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

mommyj_2
04-19-2004, 04:11 AM
I tend to avoid PUL for that very reason. I think it has to be hot.

papal
04-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Oh no.... poor Ben! I think that is one of my issues with the idea of pockets... the inflexibility of the outer fabric. It would just get way too hot wearing PUL.... i cannot imagine wearing plasticy undies... so it must be pretty darn uncomfortable to a baby's sensitive skin.
We have been either letting dd go diaperless or in a prefold when at home.. and using wool when we go out.

Now, if someone would invent a wool pocket... that would be great!

ETA: I was just thinking about this.. and I am pretty sure that I would not like to wear wool or fleece undies either!!! But given a choice... i would go with wool/fleece. :)

parkersmama
04-19-2004, 12:09 PM
I'm thinking that I may go with Rashmi's idea here...just a diaper with no cover when we are at home (other than naptime) and using PUL or fleece when we are out. I will have to be more diligent about changing immediately after she pees, though! And, Rashmi...what about poops...ever have containment issues when there's no cover?

The only pocket dipes we use out of the house are Baby Blankets. The trimness is so great that I use them as diaper bag diapers a lot.

And one more thing, as far as PUL goes...I find that Bumpy Day covers are a *lot* more breathable than most PUL covers. HTH!

papal
04-19-2004, 12:20 PM
No containment issue... with either a bikini-twisted prefold or any fitted. Just ONCE she was diaperless and pooped all over the blanket i had on the floor (i had posted about this in Dunking Methodology).. these days she poops around the same time everyday.. so i put her in a prefold/fitted around that time... rest of the time she is diaperless.

cvharris
04-19-2004, 12:31 PM
Wow, Rashmi! Diaperless! I can't even imagine it. My lil guy would pee all over the house within a matter of minutes. :) I don't even have enough courage to let him go coverless in the house!

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

papal
04-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Carolee... Leela is not crawling or walking yet!! So her pee-containment-area is greatly reduced! :)