PDA

View Full Version : S.O.S.! 10 Rinses and we STILL have suds

jec2
04-25-2004, 01:22 AM
Somebody come and rescue my poor dipes from a mama on the brink!

I am trying to get back on the CD wagon (from my break due to stinky hemp, bleach, and then contact dermititis/rash on DS) and did a strip today with some rlr (found some on-line). Did 3 complete hot washes with nothing added (so a wash & rinse) then put in a drop--literally--of Dawn and now am on 10th wash (hot wash w/cold rinse). I did do a vinegar ball test in one of the machines (I am using two) on the 9th wash/rinse and it still has the same suds as the control.

I am thinking something is wrong, really wrong. I was going to clean the washers initially (I use shared machines in our apt. complex) but decided not to. Could this be the problem?

It's getting late, I am running out of quarters and DH & I are running out of patience. I think we are just going to put them in the dryer and call it done for today.

Advice? Sympathy?

toomanystrollers
04-25-2004, 07:25 AM
Juliet,

Ok, I've never heard of the vinegar ball test :) and I don't use dawn at all when I'm stripping. I bet just a tiny bit of Dawn is going to give you lots of bubbles. I use liquid calgon. Be sure what you're seeing are actually suds not oxygen bubbles (I've made this mistake before) - I stop my machine while it's agitating - let it settle for 5 mins. and then check for suds.

FWIW, I never get mine totally "suds free" - there seems always be a couple of bubbles floating around.

Also, I've had friends (in apt. buildings - coin laundry) who fill their tubs up with hot water off the stove and let their dipes sit for awhile and loosen up the suds.

I also clean "stripped" my machine while I was having major suds issues - IMO, I didn't notice any difference. I have switched to Wisk for High efficiency machines (even though my machine's a 10 yr. old top loader) b/c the HE detergents have less suds. And so far, (knock on wood) this detergent has been working very well. I use about 2 tablespoons max. and I cut back on the number of dipes I put in the machine. My typical load now is one full blue Bummis bag.

P.s. I haven't forgotten about the MnM pics for you - Dh's working this weekend - he'll be around to model tommorow LOL

HTH

jec2
04-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Maybe what I am seeing are oxygen bubbles! They do looks like soapy bubbles, but they do settle down after it sits for a minute or two. However, my water never looks very clear. Perhaps b/c this is Hot water & Hard water and it is just the nature of that beast. Plus, I just cannot tell if my dipes are "soft" or not, which makes me wonder if I still have build-up. I would think after 10 washes the build-up would be vanquished.

I used the Dawn only b/c I have been using All F&C, which apparently leaves a greasy build-up and I wanted to rid my dipes of all the All once and for all :)

I think I am going to give these well washed dipes a test-run this week and if I am still having issues I will try a bathtub soak and then maybe go back to a Calgon wash.

I have armed myself with a lot of different detergent options (Tide, sportwash, liquid L) and will figure out something that works.

No worries about the pics of the sling. I can wait :)

starrynight
04-26-2004, 12:47 AM
Ack all f&c leaves a buildup? :( Where did you read that,I use that sometimes but I will stop if it's bad for dipes.

I have heard hard water makes things more difficult and you may have to try a bunch of stuff to figure out what works. and I've found hot water always looks cloudier than cold water btw.

jec2
04-26-2004, 12:59 PM
I think Linda mentioned that All F&C is not good when I posted about my TERRIBLE amonia smell I had a few weeks ago. I then went over to MDC and searched there and seemed to read that some people really do have probs with it. So, I have been using Sportwash but also bought Tide and Liquid L and I think this is going to turn into a chemistry excercise. Really wish I paid better attn in my highschool chem class!

starrynight
04-26-2004, 03:37 PM
Thanks Juliet! I wonder if purex is ok? I use that most of the time on regular clothes. Or has anyone heard anything about the sears detergent in a bucket?
I hate buying tons of different detergent but I will if I have to for dipes.

liya
04-26-2004, 07:21 PM
Almost all F&C detergents will leave the same residue...But alot of ppl have had sucess with Tide and Cheer for some reason and also Sun Free :)....

Im so sorry i let you down on the RLR Juliet :( things have been so crazy around here... You have no idea how sorry I am right now...

To clear up something for you if your suds do go away within the first seconds after the wash stopped then its the water agitation bubbles :)...The SOS so hold alot in just because of their design but i think those washes are ENOUGH !! LOL..

Anyhow with the detergents try the most comercial one first(i hate saying it but they are honestly the cheapest kind and easier to get)...If you get a rash with that one then move on..:)

Vinegar is a double weapon for me..On the one side it makes my diapers a bit softer..On the other side Ari breaks out with it. Enough so that i stopped using it a while ago(hence the stiffer diapers..LOL..im about to go get some of that Shaklee stuff Michelle uses cause its soo yummy and almost NO SMELL!! unlkie DA!! )...

Sears detergent in a bucket is awsoem :) LOL Even the costco bucket detergent is awsome. Basically any quick dissolve formula will do...

HTH

jec2
04-26-2004, 07:56 PM
Thanks Linda! No worries about the RLR, I know that your life is a bit upside down right now but it was so sweet of you to offer nonetheless. But, it is available on-line @ Heinyking.com so I ordered 6 (already used a few on other laundry too)

We've been back in the cloth all day and so far so good! The test will be tonight when we try the Sleeptight!