PDA

View Full Version : Newborn stash question...

daisymommy
04-27-2004, 08:50 AM
We're talking about ttc #2 soon (yeah!), and of course I'm already dreaming about starting a newborn stash :)

I bought a Kissaluv's 0 to drool over--so cute! But I remember that a couple people posted links to some KL 0 type knock-off fitteds. Anyone remember what they were? Something with the little umbilical notch would be great. How long do babies typically fit into the KL 0's?

I get so frustrated using prefolds on Josh that at the most I would get a dozen just to see if they were easier to use on a less wiggly newborn. Also, I doubt I can afford 3 days worth of Kissaluvs! (thats how long I go between washes right now, but maybe it will change to every 2 days with a newborn?) Anywho...I digress. What size Indian prefolds work best on a 7-8 lb. baby? I think I remember that's the type you all have decided is the yummiest ;) in comparison to CPF's and Euros, right?

And last but not least, any better covers for a newborn than Proraps? Would I need newborn size? Does the belly-button notch work well on these? I love the feel of Bumpy covers (so soft!) but how do they do on a NB ? What about wool or fleece covers? I don't want to wait for SP smalls to fit (I think a NB would be swimming in them). But not sure if breastfed baby poo would work in anything without a gusset. It's just that I have a gut feeling the next baby will be due in the summertime like Josh, and I'd love something other than PUL that's cool and breathable.

Thanks for indulging my dreaming...

papal
04-27-2004, 09:34 AM
Amy, let me see if i can answer some of your questions:

The dipes I think you are talking about are the hemp dipes from Kindhearted women (KW):
http://www.kindheartedwomen.com/hempdiapers.html
They are not necessarily KL knockoffs because they are more pricey ($11), but they will last you way longer than a KL size 0. IME, dd could wear the KLs for about 6 weeks... and she is on the tiny side. She can still fit into the KW dipe in a pinch, though the rise is getting small for her.

Putting prefolds on a newborn is a breeze!! They hardly squirm or move and cannot roll over!!! I would say, keep Unbleached Infant Indian Prefolds as your primary stash! My almost 12 pounder still fits into the infant size, in both bikini and newspaper folds.

For covers, well, proraps are the tiniest i have seen, so i would get a couple of those. Bumpy Days are by far my favorite, but the small might be huge on a newborn (do they have a newborn size?).
I am not sure i would bother with SP fleece for a NB. Maybe you can get a WAHM to crochet you a couple of teeny wool soakers? That might work. I would say to go coverless, but newborns poop all the time, don't they!
Or, you can get a little potty chair and take the baby to pee in it every half hour or hour! :) Might save you quite a few dipes in the wash! :)

Here is hoping we see a Pregnancy Annoucement very soon!!!

ETA: If you are thinking of getting KLs, definitely ask around first (unless you absolutely want new ones). They hardly get much use and I am sure a lot of people would sell theirs.
Also, if you want to check out the IPFs and the KW dipes, let me know.. i can pop them in the mail for you!

Momof3Labs
04-27-2004, 12:02 PM
There were some sherpa knock-offs that were only about $6 each, but I don't remember the site.

Keep in mind, Amy, that with two in cloth, you'll probably be doing dipes every 1-2 days. Either that or you will be doing 2-3 loads of dipes every 3 days. So you probably don't need three days worth of Kissaluvs size 0 dipes!

new_mommy25
04-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Lol, Amy. We are not even TTC, but I still dream and imagine my newborn stash. I was a wimp and didn't start cd'ing until DS was 4 months and I always regretted not diving into it.

todzwife
04-27-2004, 02:29 PM
Dallin only fit in the KL 0's for about a month, and maybe I'm retarded, but I could NOT figure out the snap configuration on them! LOL! You'll want Infant Indian prefolds for a newborn. The infant indians aren't any smaller than the infant chinese, but the premium indians are smaller than premium chinese.
As far as covers went, I really liked the cheap Dappi nylon pull on covers. There was no aplix to scratch any NB skin and no snaps to do up in the middle of the night. If you have a NB fitted, the cover is just extra "insurance". We've never had a poo escape with a fitted.
FWIW SP size 1's fit Dallin when he was 8 pounds. I loved them!

C99
04-27-2004, 09:20 PM
Nate wore KL 0s for 3-4 months, but he was a preemie. But by 4-months, he was 15 lbs. so I think that was a good run of it. I had 12 KL 0s and I really liked them, but they take *forever* to dry, so consider that when you look at laundry.

jec2
04-27-2004, 10:24 PM
We had the same experience too w/ KL although DS was not a preemie. We wore them for about 4 months and DH said he just couldn't put his son in a G-string so it was time to get bigger dipes. Plus, DS was peeing so much that we needed more absorbancy. Drying them does take forever! We basically moved from the KL to CPF's, FB's, and SP's at 4-4 1/2 months.

daisymommy
04-27-2004, 11:33 PM
Thanks everybody! And Lori, please cross your fingers along with me that Joshua is potty trained by the time I have baby #2 so it will only be ONE in cloth! ;) :)