PDA

View Full Version : An "owie" on the penis (Update on location)

jec2
04-30-2004, 12:09 AM
Hey mama of boys, Finn has a sore on his penis--right at the base of the head. I discovered it today and my friend, who also has a baby boy, said that they've experienced that a few times and gave me some A&D to put on it. What can you tell me about this? Is this common? What causes it?

ETA: Oops, its location is different than I actually posted above. It is at the base of the shaft (where the penis meets the scrotum). Don't know if this changes the diagnoses at all. I'm worried that one poster suggested it's YEAST! Oooh, don't want any more problems with my diapers and the diapering area!

sweetbasil
04-30-2004, 12:42 AM
Charlie got one of these at the very beginning of our CDing--- I wasn't changing his diapers often enough :( and the head was getting too warm/moist and was chafing a bit, so a little red bump appeared. I put neosporin cream on it before he went to bed for the night, and it was almost completely cleared up by morning. Oh- and I became much more diligent about changing him! Not to say that this is why Finn's sore appeared, that's just what was the cause of little Charlie's bump.

HTH,

todzwife
04-30-2004, 01:04 AM
Dallin has had that a couple times too...seems to coorelate wth diaper changes here too. Neosporin cleared it up by the next change though. But his little man hides deep in his fat so it usually doesn't get too irritated.

jec2
04-30-2004, 11:12 AM
Ok, I'll try to be more diligent with frequent diaper changes and keep ointment on it. Thanks so much

Momof3Labs
04-30-2004, 03:15 PM
We've had the same problem, and keeping on top of diaper changes is definitely the solution. Neosporin is good, but rubs off quickly on the diaper. We use a square of gauze topped with Triple Paste over the spot with the Neosporin, which helps keep it on longer and protect the area from chafing.

amywein
04-30-2004, 05:23 PM
I have seen something similar too but seems to occur as the mini little erections happen it causes a kind of scrapes the top of the diaper or so I am envisioning. Just a thought.

lizc
04-30-2004, 06:14 PM
Juliet,

I haven't read the other replies yet but just wanted to say that it sounds like a yeast infection. My ds gets this a lot. The first couple of times, I showed it to the pediatrician but now he just tells me to treat it with Lotrimen. When I use that, it clears up within one day (usually). I put the Lotrimen on once in the morning and once at night.
Don't use any other creams while the sore is present as they can actually spread the infection. I also make sure I pat dry his penis and fan it for a minute. lol.

Hth!
Hugs,
Liz
Anton 12/22/02

Momof3Labs
04-30-2004, 10:05 PM
>Don't use any other creams while the sore is present as they
>can actually spread the infection.

My pediatrician disagrees and actually wants us to top things with Triple Paste because otherwise the cream/ointment/whatever will just come right off on the diaper. Not saying that you are wrong, but that there are many possible right answers here.