PDA

View Full Version : CD STARTER KIT??????

humblemama
05-03-2004, 11:01 AM
I know this sounds wierd, but I have a shower coming up and my Aunts want to get me a basic supply of everything to start cloth diapering. Is there an old thread or can someone give me q uick list. I don't want to load up on a bunch of stuff I won't need, but since it's a pres, I might as well get set, right??????
Thanks! Sara (humblemama to be :-) ) SEE, You gals gave me tha confidence to try!!!!!!

daisymommy
05-03-2004, 12:29 PM
If you look on naturalbabies.com she has several packages you can get to try out things, or an actual newborn starter kit with Kissaluv diapers, covers, prefolds, etc. I'm not sure if it has wipes, on it. I'll post a list of the basics I think you would need for a newborn, but since I started using cloth when Joshua was older, someone else here may be of more help in that department.

Newborn – 4 Months (about 12 changes daily)
2-3 dozen infant 4x8x4 Chinese Prefolds
OR 2 dozen Kissaluv’s size 0 fitted diapers
6 Diaper covers with leg gussets such as Proraps newborn or small)
3 Snappi closures if using prefolds
3 dozen cloth wipes
1 diaper pail (Sterlite 28 quart trash can with flip top lid)
2 diaper pail liners--Bummis size large or camping tote bag

Good luck!

humblemama
05-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Thanks so much Amy - that's exaxctly what I needed. I'll point them in those directions and print your post. Sara

mommyj_2
05-03-2004, 02:56 PM
I second the naturalbabies recommendation. I'm pretty sure she offers a baby registry, so you could just register for the stuff you want.
I would suggest trying out several different kinds of covers to see what you like. A lot of moms like Proraps, but they left red marks on my baby's legs and irritated his skin. I bought 3 or 4 different kinds of covers at first, and I was really glad I did because it let me figure out what I liked. Colleen at naturalbabies has a good selection of different covers. The ones I tried for the newborn phase were: Proraps, Bummis whisper pants (these are my favorite covers. They're nylon pull on covers...they're really gentle on baby's skin, and they work great), Bumpy day and night covers (I liked the night ones better than the day covers), Bummis SIWW (I didn't like these since they felt really stiff, but other moms seem to like them), and a wool cover with cute embroidery on it.
If you get a variety, you can sell what doesn't work for you and order more of what you like.

Here's what I used for the newborn phase:

30 infant UCPFs 4x8x4
12 Kissaluvs size 0 (these were great for late night changes)
8 covers
36 cloth wipes

If you want cute wipes, darlingdiapers.com has really cute ones. Also, you might want to get a cute bag for your diaper pail. I got mine from happytushies.com. I also got a wet bag for the diaper bag and a changing pad from her. These totally aren't necessary, but the cuteness factor is really nice since you'll be spending so much time at first changing diapers.
HTH!

humblemama
05-06-2004, 03:15 PM
I've put the aunts on the mission and told them to ask lots of questions first. I'm sure it takes awhile to get the hang of what works best for you and your baby. I just need the basics to start. :-) Sara