PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else with hard water...Hating...

liya
05-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Hemp!!! OMG im really detesting it its getting on my nerves!! ........ And now our night time routine has sorta screwed up cause Ari is out peeing even the sposies. So my guess is we will have to try either a night light or a firefly sleep tight(these come in OC though hopefully they will do well)...For night time...But im detesting it. It feels soo rough compared to other diaper fabrics i have and i know its because of my water....Im getting some of that Shaklee Fabric Softner(cant stand DA) as a I type just cause i need to get it sofdter)....Plus i have to be super duper carefull with them or else they will easily get build up....I cant for the life of me get diapers like cuddlebuns or SOS diapers or anything llike that in hemp...I would DIE taking care of all those layers..They would get sooo stiff on me...!! YIKES.....And the build up!!!

URRGHH...Sorry for the rant gals...sigh i had to get it off my chest...Thanks for listening...

sweetbasil
05-04-2004, 12:47 PM
I'm with ya, Linda. Our hemp gets rough and stinky- and this boiling the hemp every couple of weeks is a royal pain. I've sold off most of our hemp- I even listed some on the BBBSwap that we've never even washed/used...I just can't keep up with hemp. The problem is, though, that Kellen (who is day-potty trained but not nighttime trained) soaks through microfiber, so we don't have many other options. Ugh.

How do you find the sportswash works? Do you use it in lieu of other detergents, or in addition, like the Calgon Water Softener liquid?

Oh, and what is DA (you said you can't stand it)? Sorry if I'm being too slow and not thinking of it myself!

Best wishes,

jec2
05-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Linda,

Complete & total sympathy from me. I'm at a loss with the dipes. I just can't figure out how to get them clean with out build-up & stink issues.

AND, Where is everyone? It's like a ghost town in this forum lately! Mamas, where are you? Do I have to go over to MDC to hang with you anymore? If i have to I will.

liya
05-04-2004, 02:52 PM
I dont know where everyone is at!! I know ive been home with a nasty nasty stomach flu all weekend..I could barely stand up today...My sis had to take Ari and his dad also came to pick him up...I havent seend my son in 2 days :(!! But i really dont want him to catch this bug(hopefully food poisoning)!! But i think everyone is hidding cause they dont want to be tempted to buy anymore cute diapers!! LOL...Or they are all hanging at MDC :'(...BBB LOVE!! BBB LOVE!!...LOL...

Well Julie its been really annoying lately. The other night I sat down and washed my RBs and honestly it took about 8 washes before i could see a really big difference in how the hemp felt. I use calgon sometimes but i mostly use RLR for everything since i feel it does a better job. I cant get sports wash in PR so i save it for special occasions(hence stinkers or something else). I really hanvet had an issue with stinky's just the hard hard hemp feel. It really feels like one of those food gratters(hope i have this right LOL) the thing you use to dice and slice LOL...!! to tell you the truth..Its horrible. I cant for the life of me understand how ppl say that hemp is soo soft..cause it really isnt in this house..LOL...My softer hemp is the smooth side out hemp and still its really rough IMHO...I have to do one batch of hemp alone with the RLR and some type of fabric softner(we were using Downey Advanced(DA) and it really stunk...plus i think i had more build up issues with it)...Im going to test out the Shaklee one to see if it works for us...Ive actually found that one of the best detergents that work for us is SUN..I think its cause its soo cheap, its not that concentrated therefore doesnt leave that much residue..YKWIM...The one thats scented doenst even smell LOL..After you wash and rise...But it cleans very well..

I have mostly all OC :) and i have tested out some 16 oz Sherpa and the difference in absorbtion is really not that noticeable so i think when i get my fabric in we will be switching to that...

Julie i think Corey has some 16 oz Sherpa and she was making some inserts in sherpa if you think that would be good. I asked her to make me some stuff yesterday to test out and see how it works. Microfiber wasnt working for Ari either lately...

Momof3Labs
05-04-2004, 03:46 PM
Another frustrated one here. JBs are still some of my favorites, but I feel like I'm always dealing with stink in Colin's nighttime dipes (daytime isn't too bad because I change him frequently). The microfiber inserts don't quite cut it, and prefolds are so bulky. I got an organic cotton El Bee dipe and it seems to work as well as hemp (haven't used it long enough to worry about stink) so we might be shifting to organic cotton in the future. Now someone has to make some decent organic cotton FB/BB inserts!!

jmofarrill
05-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Linda -- Have you tried the Liquid L? I have several bottles, and I can send a sample to you. I can also try to send a sample of the Fabric Softener, too, if you're interested. LMK

jec2
05-04-2004, 08:48 PM
What can you tell us about the fabric softener? I thought this was a "no-no" with dipes.

cvharris
05-05-2004, 12:12 AM
We have hard water and I find that hemp knit terry dipes do not get hard at all, maybe b/c of the lycra in them. I still find that I prefer hemp to organic cottone generally b/c IMO it really does absorb so much more and we need that here...

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

liya
05-05-2004, 01:23 AM
YES YES!! where is the love button when i need it!! YES YES send me some...

I havent tried liquid L :(

liya
05-05-2004, 01:24 AM
We do to but i really havent noticed a huge difference....And i think hemp knit terry actually absorbs less than the other hemps for some reason..I love the fabric though and the feel is sooo nice even if you do have hard water. I remember i used to have a HKT diaper that was awsome!! and soft and yummy...HUmm something ot consider...

starrynight
05-05-2004, 02:27 AM
Linda, are you feeling better?

I don't have hard water (that I know of anyway..) so I have no suggestions just hope you figure out something!

I've been hiding trying not to buy too much and i've also been at mdc a bit.

lizajane
05-05-2004, 09:14 PM
tell me where to find organic cotton and i will use my BB and FB patterns to make some and put them on the homebiz site!!!

Momof3Labs
05-05-2004, 10:03 PM
I'll keep an eye out for it! Anyone else seen anything around??

liya
05-06-2004, 01:04 AM
OC LOL...I wouldnt use 100% OC just because the fabric can sorta disintegrate(its weird to explain)...I would use the 80-20 stuff or the 85-15 stuff etc :)....Although then it wouldnt be fully OC...LOL

I have about 5 yrds of the stuff sitting in my house LOL...I got it from a WAHM friend. Liza if you want ill call Sonia and let her know if my friend can send you some...Or email me ...If not there are many OC sherpa coops but they run at about 7.00 something a yard. The 80-20 stuff is alot less though...

HTH

liya
05-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Yup feeling wayyyy better..A little pissed at daycare but that goes in the bitchin' forum!! GRRRRRRRRRRR...Tummy flu gone thank god!! Or whatever it was...

Thanks for asking...:)

sweetbasil
05-06-2004, 07:22 AM
>Julie i think Corey has some 16 oz Sherpa and she was making
>some inserts in sherpa if you think that would be good. I
>asked her to make me some stuff yesterday to test out and see
>how it works. Microfiber wasnt working for Ari either
>lately...

How does sherpa's absorbancy compare to Hemp and OC, Linda?