PDA

View Full Version : Suedecloth - why is it always wet?

cvharris
05-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Ben has had a little 'owie' lately every time I change him from one of his suedecloth pockets. Even if he's only wet his diaper a little bit, the suedecloth is wet - not dry - against his skin. Am I doing something wrong or is suedecloth not as 'stay dry' as microfleece? I usually stuff them with hemp. This doesn't happen when he's in our other hemp dipes or pockets with microfleece as a stay dry layer.

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

liya
05-08-2004, 12:26 AM
YEah im guessing because its thiker micro wicks away the wetness better. I still like the suede because its trimmer and for some reason ours doesnt seem quite as wet....But micro does have a dryer feel to it...

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-08-2004, 11:04 AM
I don't know what to say but the suede cloth on our baby blankets (it's royal blue) is so dry to the touch that I can't tell if he has pee'd till I remove the inner...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

marinkitty
05-09-2004, 11:07 PM
I've had the same experience as Neve with the baby blanket dipes. I just got a Daisy Doodle with microsuede lining but she hasn't worn it yet - wonder if it will be different. And I stuff with hemp most of the time too and have a SUPER soaker. Not sure why yours is so different.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

houseof3boys
05-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Ditto to the suedecloth feeling so dry on the BB dipes. Maybe it was a weird batch or something that you have. Hmmmmm.....

cvharris
05-10-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if he is sweating in them then, since it has been so humid here. I've also noticed some dampness in his micro pockets, too, though not nearly as much. I guess it is hard to truly have a stay dry layer with any fabric, esp in the summer!

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Are you putting yours in the dryer...I do....she told me it "seals" the holes.
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

cvharris
05-10-2004, 06:35 PM
I use the dryer after I wash for the very first time (before using).

Drying in the drier seals the holes in the PUL, right? Does it affect suedecloth/microfleece?

liya
05-10-2004, 07:59 PM
I always dry all of my pockets in the dryer..Ever since ages ago i read i could and nothing would happen ive been doing it LO>..I actually think my pockets are working better now that im drying them in the dryer and not line drying them. They arent wicking on me...FINALLY I COULD USE A DIAPER ON ARI(BABY BLANKET) WITHOUT IT WICKING AT NIGHT!! yayyyy...OT-*i made a nifty indian prefold countour LOL super absorbant, and QD* ok back to topic..well he felt dry ALL NIGHT LONG!! we are finally using cloth all day now again....Micro is thicker therefore my thoughts are it takes longer for the wetness to soak back up. Do you think it might be buil up?? that might be causing a puddle to stay there and take longer for it to soak through to the contour?..I dont know really ..Its super hot here and all i have noticed is that Ari's areas do sweat if he is out in pockets too long in the sun(hence changing to wool in the day time and while the AC isnt on)...But i notice it equally on a microed and on a suede cloth diaper...

The pore(or sealing holes) theory is nice but then if the dryer closes all the holes how does the pee soak through to the contour? YKWIM...So im guessing it might activate sometime of impermeability or something(just making wild guesses here )...Or maybe it just makes the holes smaller so that wetness goes through but cant come back up..*shrug* ...LOL

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-11-2004, 12:03 AM
I wish I knew...I don't. But then again I don't spend too much time on the diapers...and nil on the research of them. I've kind of lucked out with the Baby Blankets...now they did wick the first time I used them and i was in tears. It was then owner (Rebecca) who said dry them and I have not had a problem since.

I dry them eachtime, but do suspect I might be cutting down on their life cycle some...but no sign of it if I am...
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

new_mommy25
05-11-2004, 12:35 AM
>I'm beginning to wonder if he is sweating in them then, since
>it has been so humid here. I've also noticed some dampness in
>his micro pockets, too, though not nearly as much. I guess it
>is hard to truly have a stay dry layer with any fabric, esp in
>the summer!
>
>Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

It's extremely hot and humid here and DS sweats profusely. I've found that it's necassart to rub cornstarch all over him at every diaper change. That really helps him to stay dry.
HTH