PDA

View Full Version : Cloth wiping - Is this a really dumb question?

Judegirl
05-10-2004, 03:14 PM
It's amazing how much there is to think about with a new baby!

We're not CDing, but we are using cloth wipes, at least for wet and mildly dirty diapers. But we're doing it very inefficiently, using an entire wipe on each wet diaper change - then it goes into the laundry, with only a corner having been useful. I don't want to leave "dirty" wipes lying around, or clean her with used ones...but this seems kinda silly. We have some fairly thick, plush wipes from Darling Diapers, and we're going through them so fast! Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Jude

egoldber
05-10-2004, 03:31 PM
I use one cloth wipe per wet change. :) LOTS more for dirty changes. :) I figure using cloth wipes gives me the luxury of being able to be extravagant in my wipes usage, LOL.

HTH,

crl
05-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Darling Diapers does sell half size ones. Maybe you'd like those?

:-)

liya
05-10-2004, 04:05 PM
SMJAE sell those half sized ones as well...HOnestly i use 1 per change(2-3 per poop) and feel totally fine with it. You do use 1 disposable one per change and tons more when pooped..With cloth you atleast resue them ...So really i love using them on everything!! lOL...I keep saying.. "yup, very clean bum" LOL...

starrynight
05-11-2004, 01:09 AM
I don't mind going through them as fast because I'm re-using them. I use one for pee and 2-3 for poop. I would need 4-6 per poop if I use disposable wipes, they just don't clean up as well!

If you can sew at all you can make some out of flannel.

calebsmama03
05-13-2004, 03:42 PM
You might look around for some WAHMs that sell really small sizes. I can't remember where I saw them now, but I know someone makes "off" sized ones that are pretty cheap and are much smaller than the full or even half sized ones. I'll post again if I find where they were.

Using one per wet dipes is pretty typical I'd think. The only other thing I could think of (what I did with DS when he was little) is just use a wet cotton ball to clean with wet dipes. It's not reusable, but it's more natural than a commercial wipe and is less waste.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

sweetbasil
05-13-2004, 10:25 PM
>SMJAE sell those half sized ones as well...

If you decide to get some from Michelle at SMJAE, you'll have to be quick, b/c she's closing shop :(

I try to alternate full and half-sized wipes in our wipes container, as we only typically have 2 dirty dipes to deal w/each day. I love the halfsies (ours are from Darling Diapers) for quick changes, wiping noses, etc. They're so handy!

mudder17
05-13-2004, 11:42 PM
Tif of the Mom & Babe Company makes both 8x8 and 6x6's. I find that the 6x6's are perfect for wiping up her face, as well as for wet diapers or if I just need to do one more "wipe" of her bum after I've cleaned up most of the mess. I usually use 1-2 of the 8x8's for poopie diapers. And yes, I usually use a wet cotton ball to gently clean her various crevices after I've taken care of most of it with a wipe. I think it's gentler that way.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

papal
05-14-2004, 12:06 AM
I have some from Little Sprouts that are smaller than the regular ones.. but they are not sherpa/velour.. they are similiar to the Kissaluv wipes and not my favs.

We use one wipe per pee, and depending on the poop 1-6. :)

heidi_timms
05-14-2004, 02:38 AM
I'm not sure, but I don't think that it's a good idea to reuse wipes. I would be afraid of an infection or something, JMO. I started with 1 dozen wipes and eventually built up to 3 dozen. I have a small pail for the wipes until laundry day.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

liya
05-14-2004, 09:05 PM
If i was meant for my comment on reusing LOL i meant that you can wash them and reuse them(unlike a disposable which if you use even one corner you have to throw away)..not reuse them at that moment..that would be icky LOL