PDA

View Full Version : Repelling Fuzzibunz & diaper cream (hope I'm not doomed)

chlobo
05-11-2004, 09:42 PM
So my DD has very sensitive skin. Whenever she poops her butt turns bright red and she is prone to diaper rash no matter what kind of diaper she's wearing.

The doctor suggested using Desitin Creamy (without the fish oil) for every diaper change. We've been doing that now for about a week. This has caused buildup on our fuzzy bunz and they now repel. It was so bad tonight that DD woke up in a pool of pee with her pjs and sheets wet after only being in bed for an hour. Needless to say we're heartbroken b/c we love, love, love our fuzzibunz.

My questions:

1. Is there anything we can do to get the diaper cream buildup off the fuzzybunz? What can we use on a regular basis?

2. Are we doomed b/c we have to use diaper cream for every changing? Will this always be a problem with the fuzzybunz?

3. If we are doomed, what can we use for a nighttime diaper that the cream won't affect?

: ( Carren

egoldber
05-12-2004, 02:54 PM
To get the Desitin Creamy out of your FBs try hand scrubbing them with a dishwashing liquid like Dawn. This is what I had to do when I used Desitin Creamy once with FBs. But it got the stuff out with no trouble.

You may want to use fleece liners. That way you can any cream withoug worrying about it. But I use Aquaphor with no trouble.

HTH,

mommyj_2
05-12-2004, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure how to answer your questions, but had another thought. My DS has really sensitive skin, too. I'm wondering what your washing routine is? Do you do an entire wash/rinse without any detergent after the first wash? That's what helped my DS when his butt was turning red. I also use All Free and Clear, but it's supposed to cause problems with Fuzzibunz.

chlobo
05-12-2004, 07:46 PM
I do not do the extra wash/rinse after washing. Today she had a rash that looked like a sunburn. This was after she pooped. I"m not sure what to do. I've heard using diapers with wool covers helps b/c its more breathable. We might have to give up the fuzzibunz (shudder).

Momof3Labs
05-12-2004, 08:30 PM
Try adding the extra rinse before getting rid of the FBs; you may have some soap residue in there that is irritating her skin. Also, try Aquaphor; it is kinder to cloth dipes. Triple Paste washes out well, too, and is a thicker cream, if you find you need it.

Have you changed her diet at all lately - a new solid or a change in formula? Sometimes that sunburn after a poop is because of diet (Colin gets it from citrus, tomatoes and whole milk with lactose).

chlobo
05-12-2004, 09:03 PM
We actually just started solids. So far she has had rice cereal, apple sauce & oatmeal. Is it possible for her to be "sensitive" without being allergic?

Momof3Labs
05-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Absolutely - Colin is sensitive to the three foods I listed above, but it is not a true allergy.

mommyj_2
05-12-2004, 11:28 PM
The extra cycle might help. I know for my DS just doing one extra rinse wasn't enough. I have to do a whole wash/rinse cycle with no detergent or he gets that sunburned butt rash.

luluc
05-13-2004, 02:55 PM
Huh, I wonder if this is our problem too? I posted a month ago about our FB suddenly leaking at night and didn't get much response other than sizing and washing. DD gets a rash every once in a while and DH put cream on her instead of Lansinoh a few times and it got on the dipes. I have not been able to get it out. Sounds like my fleece is now repelling. I have stopped using them at night and they even leak during the day now sometimes. Oh well, DH know better now. ;) We either put her in a sposie at night or a prefold with a microfiber towel and a SP fleece doubler with a wool or fleece cover. This system is soooo bulky and she looks really uncomfortable hence the sposie.

I hope you can figure out your FB dillema. Sounds like DS is very sensitive and 2nd the extra full cycle was without detergent. It helps to get everything out. Except diaper cream! x(

AugBaby
05-15-2004, 12:18 AM
Your description of the redness, especially after pooping, hit me as a food sensitivity as well. DD had a sensitivity to her first solids, bananas, and I couldn't believe it at first. She's now almost three and just the other day ate 2.5 bananas (what was I thinking?) and sure enough, she was all red when I changed her. My dd is also sensitive to oats.

Good luck with getting the FBs clean!

chlobo
05-15-2004, 10:08 AM
Assuming its a sensitivity to food is there one diaper ointment that is better for that than another?

Momof3Labs
05-15-2004, 03:29 PM
We would just use Aquaphor, and the redness would clear up until he pooped again. The best treatment, though, is to remove the offending food from her diet.

chlobo
05-15-2004, 09:04 PM
I plan to remove the offender, once I figure out which one it was. I think it was probably the oatmeal but her last "meal" was oatmeal & applesauce so I can't rule out the apples quite yet.

starrynight
05-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Applesauce is very bland but it can be acidy for some kids. I would cut out the applesauce and see if the sunburn type rash clears up. If it was just rash in general it would be there whether or not she pooped but that kind of rash with poop is generally a food issue. My neighbor's child couldn't even handle apple juice watered down she would get the worst rash and as soon as she stopped giving it to her the rash went away. Applesauce did it also, she could handle it fine after she was a year old but not before that. Good luck!!

chlobo
05-18-2004, 06:28 AM
I called the nurse at my ped and she said she thought it was yeast. I told her it only occurred when she pooped and she said it was probably yeast. Doesn't look like yeast and it clears up after one or two more diaper changes and some naked butt time (at least until the next poop).

She's had a lot of problems with rash and the doctor says she has sensitive skin so we could just be in for a lot of rash. I haven't found a barrier cream that stays on and keeps the rash away.

starrynight
05-18-2004, 09:14 PM
If it's a yeast rash it will be there poop or not and regular rash cream won't clear it up. If it's just rash when she poops or where the poop touches her skin it's food related :). I hope that helps you some, I've dealt with yeast rash and food allergy rashes neither are fun but food allergy ones are a bit easier to get rid of if you eliminate the food :).