PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Diaper Service

Maeve
05-16-2004, 06:01 PM
We will be using a cloth diaper service. Their website doesn't detail how the diapers are cleaned and processesd (is this even an issue parents worry about or am I just being paranoid?).

What questions should I ask? And what are the best methods a company could use to clean the diapers?

I have no experience with this, and want to make sure this is a good service before I plunk down the deposit.

Thanks!

parkersmama
05-16-2004, 07:45 PM
I've never used a diaper service but the things I'd want to know about washing are: how hot is the water they wash in? do they use bleach? how many times do they wash them? how many rinses do they do (especially if they use bleach!)?

I think if my baby was going to be wearing diapers that had been worn by a lot of babies (and not washed by me) I'd want them to be bleached, wash in very hot water 2X, and rinsed several times (to get the bleach and detergent residue out).

I believe you'll purchase and wash your own covers or wraps. The diaper services usually have Proraps and/or Bummis for you to purchase. If you want a nicer cover (proraps are good for the newborn stage but quite plasticy), I recommend trying Bumpys or Nikkys. Both get lots of good reviews around here.

Zansu
05-17-2004, 12:02 PM
I never asked how the diapers we use are processed, but I believe they are washed and rinsed multiple times in industrial strength washers at temeratures much higher than residential washers. IIRC, my services goes through 15 washes/rinses.

Also, we get the same diapers back. Every set is numbered, so we always have diaper set #4 in the regular size.

You can always look online at other services' websites, just to see what type of options there are for processing. the service I use is www.nextgenerationbaby.com

kitmama
05-19-2004, 10:51 PM
The diaper service I use is a member of the National Association of Diaper Services- NADS- which monitors washing and sanitation practices of its members to make sure they meet certain standards. I don't know if there are other similar monitoring agencies, or if NADS is it, but it's a useful way to gain some peace of mind.