PDA

View Full Version : Need a little support

sareva
05-18-2004, 04:01 AM
Well, we've been CDing since day 1 thanks to the diaper service and some Kissaluvs, but lately I've been getting a little depressed about the whole endeavor. Almost every time Zoe poops it gets all over the cover and sometimes onto her clothing. We use CPFs with a snappie/Kissaluvs and covers provided by the service (plus one we bought) -- Proraps and Green Earths. Maybe the covers are too worn/stretched out and that's contributing to the poop problem. I can't remember the "name" of the fold that we do but it's basically a triangle. And I'm now starting to contemplate the "next step" of adding to the stash. My mom bought me some stuff for when she's *much * older (e.g., 4 medium FuzziBunz) -- she's little and won't fit those for a long while. I guess I could use some advice re: an alternative fold for the CPFs (if there is a better one for holding in poop) and some buying advice. We're moving to Austin TX in August so the heat will now be a factor. Is there a way to make CPFs plus cover trimmer? If one doesn't have a lot of money to spend but wants to get some wool (maybe fleece?) covers, what are the best covers for CPFs (keeping price in mind -- Elbees are out of my league)? I had planned on splurging on some nicer PUL covers (E.g., Bumpy day) that get good reviews but would really like to do something more natural if possible, especially with the heat. If I decide to do fitted dipes to get a trimmer fit, what are the best value? Sometimes it seems that with the costs of fitteds plus a nice cover, it's more economical to do an AIO, but I may be off-base with that. Sorry I'm rambling a bit -- it's 3 am and I'm really tired. I know everyone has different preferences. Zoe isn't very big and we have a tight budget, but I will spend for something that's good quality and that we'll get a lot of use out of (e.g., sizing that accomodates a wide size range). I check these boards all the time yet feel overwhelmed by the choices and the costs. Well, anyway, any help is deeply appreciated, as always, even if I am not able to post a follow-up right away. TIA, Sarah, Mom to Zoe Paloma 3-28-04

papal
05-18-2004, 12:29 PM
Sarah,
Have you tried the BIKINI twist fold? That is really trim and holds in the poop VERY well!!
Here is a link:
http://www.softclothbunz.com/Cloth-Diaper-Folding-Bikini-Twist.html

It is easier of you lay the diaper flat, put the baby on the diaper and then twist the front portion and snappi.... also once you are done snappinging..fold in the material around the thighs to sort of make a gusset. This makes it VERY trim and holds in poops really well.

Here is a pic that kind of illustrates it with baby.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6304.jpg
http://members.ll.net/naturalmothering/diapering.shtml

mommyj_2
05-18-2004, 02:10 PM
I remember DS went through a phase when poo always got on the covers. We didn't really have a problem with leaks, but I definitely remember spraying poo out of his covers for about a month or two. I can't remember when it was--maybe when he was 4 months or so. I had really good luck with Bummis whisper pants. They seemed to catch all the poo that leaked out of the dipes. They're nylon pull on pants, and I think they might fit what you're looking for in a cover. Nylon is supposed to be cooler than PUL, which would make them nice for Texas. They're only $5/each, and they lay really flat under clothing (even though they look poofy before you put them on, they're so thin, they smash down to nothing under clothes).
Once you start Zoe on solids, you won't have problems with leaking poo because her poo will be much more solid. In the meantime, do you have a mini-shower? I found that made poo on the covers much easier to deal with, since I could just spray it right off.
Another thought is that maybe you need to go up one size in CPFs. What size are you using? This is just a guess, though. I had less leaking poo when I switched to regular CPFs from the infants.
I need to run, but I'll post later with wool and fitted suggestions, if I think of some good ones.
HTH!

starrynight
05-18-2004, 04:44 PM
Alexis nylon covers generally go for around $8-$10 (sometimes less depending on how the auction goes) for 6 covers, that is cheap and they breathe a bit better than anything else and they are the only covers that work for us when we go out and I don't want a leak. Make sure you get the nylon ones because I got a few off ebay that were vinyl and those do not breathe. I got pink ones that are nylon, white were vinyl.

And I second the bikini twist, it works pretty good :).Hang in there!