PDA

View Full Version : Red & Sore - What could this be?

mharling
05-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Ds has been red around (and it looks like just inside) the uretha for the past few days. We talked to the dr on Friday and she said to put Neosporin on it 3X/day. That doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Today, he woke up extremely unhappy and didn't stop crying until we changed his diaper. He was constantly grabbing down there like it hurt. Overnight, he was in a FB stuffed with a CPF and a JB. Could this be causing something?

I am going to call the dr this afternoon (leaving in a few minutes to take FIL to the dr and won't get home until naptime).

Any ideas? Thanks!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
[link:www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b370a2992536|Birthday Pics!!]

todzwife
05-24-2004, 11:25 AM
Dallin gets that sometimes, usually when I don't change him often enough, but you could have a little detergent residue in your fleece... I dunno, sorry I'm no help!

jec2
05-24-2004, 02:23 PM
Could it be an infection of some sort? It's seems like a strange place for a rash. Let us know what you find out with the Doc.

Momof3Labs
05-24-2004, 04:03 PM
There was a thread on this a few weeks ago - it actually is somewhat common for little boys. For everyone who posted, it seemed to be tied to not changing often enough (true for us, too, if we wait too long for even one diaper change). We used Bactroban (prescription, similar to Neosporin) to clear it up, and used a piece of gauze topped with some Triple Paste at each change until it healed up.

cvharris
05-24-2004, 05:36 PM
We had a problem with this for a few days and then it went away. I narrowed it down to one of two things:

1) detergent buildup
and/or
2) reaction to suedecloth

I used to think it was frequent changes but we don't have this problem even after overnight anymore. I do four rinses of my diaper load to get rid of all the detergent buildup and we haven't used the suedecloth in awhile.

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

mharling
05-25-2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks everyone!!

Juliet - I agree that it seems like a strange place for a rash. I read some of the older posts, but it looked like most of those rashes were farther down.

Anyway, it was still red this morning and started to swell a little bit. We saw the dr this morning and she said it is a yeast rash and to use Lotrimin on it. I am really surprised; mainly because of the location, but also because it doesn't look like the yeast rash he had last summer AND he has had a low grade fever too. I was expecting it to be some sort of infection. We're supposed to go back if it doesn't clear up in 4 days.

I asked her if using cloth diapers might have anything to do with it and she didn't think so. She asked if we used a service and when I told her we laundered ourselves, she said, 'Oh good!'. Her thought was that the diaper services use harsher detergents than we do at home. Is this true or a myth???

At any rate, I think I'm going to strip our diapers just in case. I haven't had to do it in a while so I figure it can't hurt.

Thanks again everyone!!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03

jec2
05-25-2004, 03:02 PM
Wow, that still seems like such a strange place for a rash, especially curious with the fever too. Definately let us know what happens over the next four days.

I think services do use tougher chemicals to wash their dipes. I don't know for a fact, but I think I recall reading that once in a comparison of cloth vs. disposie and that the chemicals or detergents or whatever they use is sort of considered a "negative" about the use of a service if you are doing CD's for enviro reasons. But, again, I am not certain.

Momof3Labs
05-25-2004, 04:12 PM
No, that's exactly where Colin's rash was. Right on the tip of his penis, and seemingly in the entrance to the urethra.

mharling
05-26-2004, 12:29 AM
Hmm, I didn't see that on a search. Oh well!

Did you strip your dipes after Colin had it?

Mary & Lane 4/6/03