PDA

View Full Version : Wool Covers-help me pick some?

mum1day
05-27-2004, 11:51 AM
A while back I had asked for your CD help. You were all VERY helpful (thank you!), so I come back for more help. I feel like I'm becoming addicted to this whole CD thing now! It's just so easy to do.

So, I have flats (yes, I'll be folding!) and BB pockets (wish I could use them full time, but oh well :(!) I will need a nice wool cover for my DD for my flats. A few of you recommended the Bumpy Wool covers. So here I go with the questions:

1) Are there other brands that are more fun and colorful for my DD that still do an amazing job? A few of you rave about Sugarpeas, thoughts?

2) If I use wool full time, how many would you recommend I buy? Keeping in mind that I still have the BB pockets as well.

I am sold on wool for breathability and b/c it's an all natural fiber. I also prefer to give my money to WAHM's.

Just in case you need to know, DD is 25" and 13 pounds and is currently 12 1/2 weeks.

TIA!

Natasha

daisymommy
05-27-2004, 01:25 PM
My favorite two brands of wool covers are Sugarpeas, and Sugarbums. Unfortunately, Sugarpeas just closed up shop for awhile, but will be selling their stuff through major diaper stores online in about a month. Naturalbabies and Smartiepants are two I know of.

Sugarbums is closed for custom orders, but will be open in about two weeks. Heidi makes absolutely fabulous stuff! I have several diapers and covers from her. I have two wool wool covers from her--one red jersey that is so buttery soft I could sleep with it on my pillow! and a midnight blue cashmere wool cover that is super plush and soft for night time. She makes them front or side snap, with whatever color thread you want, to your baby's exact body measurements. I'd give one a try when she open's back up.

As far as how many to go with, I'd say 2 a day. But they don't need to be washed each day--only every 2-3 weeks. You still need to air them out between changes though. I guess if you were washing every 2-3 days you would only need 2-3 wool covers.

Momof3Labs
05-27-2004, 04:58 PM
Though if you are folding prefolds into a wool cover, you will probably get poop leaks until your DD is well into solids, so might want to plan on a few extra covers for those times.

calebsmama03
05-27-2004, 08:26 PM
If you'd like to be able to have more on hand "just in case" and not spend a fortune, you might try www.babyjunebugs.com
She has wool covers (with gussets) for $15. You can e-mail her about customs, as it looks like everything is sold right now. I haven't personally tried them yet but have corresponded with the owner and she is really nice, and I've heard good things about them.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

mum1day
05-27-2004, 08:59 PM
the covers from June Bug are soo nice!

bobica
05-30-2004, 11:57 AM
I'm curious about soaker shorts vs other wool covers. Do covers like the bumpy wool provide the same absorbancy & coverage as shorts like aristocrats?

Also, has anyone tried the recycled wool covers at Fern & Faerie? At $10 they seem like a steal, if they work!

Monica
Mom to Siobhan- 3/03

mum1day
05-30-2004, 12:03 PM
I got some sugarpeas last night from softclothbunz I'm so excited. I only got 2 though! :(

tarahsolazy
05-31-2004, 01:53 AM
Bumpy wool covers have gussets, and we have found ours to be a great cover for day or night. I also love my Aristocrat for night, it never leaks with those leg cuffs, but its too bulky for day. I do have two soakers that do not have cuffs, and we have had leaks with these. DS peed out the leg of one of them today, LOL. My DH has said no more cuffless soakers! And I agree. Our one pair of soaker shorts are currently for petting only. since spring comes late to Oregon. I am sure that they will function extremely well, because of the long legs. The recycled butt-sweater type covers like at Fern & Faerie work very well, as long as they are well-lanolized. (I made one myself, I call it Frankensoaker, its ugly but functional) The ones at F&F are very cute! Enjoy the wool experience.

Oh for the original poster, Loveybums (www.loveybums.com) has beautiful wool covers, jersey and flannel, for only $17 each, I'm getting one of these next. They get great reviews.

mum1day
05-31-2004, 12:00 PM
that site didn't work :(

tarahsolazy
06-01-2004, 04:25 AM
Sorry, it works for me! Try just typing www.loveybums.com into your browser...