PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding wool!

kwc
05-28-2004, 01:35 PM
Does it ever stop bleeding when you wash it?

I have a purple SB wool jersey cover in the sink right now with some Eucalan and the water is so dark I can barely see the cover! Can I really _not_ rinse off the Eucalan if it is still bleeding this much? This is the third time I've washed it and I got it used so I can't believe that it bleeds this much and is still plum!

I almost never use it because it has bled onto my prefolds a couple of times and I am worried about it bleeding onto DD's clothes... but I want to use it!

Anything I can do to lock the dye?

Thanks,
Karen

C99
05-29-2004, 01:35 PM
Vinegar and hot water. I've had this problem with a Bizzy B Hive cover as well. I used to have exact directions...let me see if I can find them for you. ETA: This isn't much help, but here's what the BBH owner told me: "If it does bleed, simmer it in a mostly vinegar/salt solution for 10 min. This should set the dye if there is any dye residue left." HTH

daisymommy
05-29-2004, 11:24 PM
Hmmmm, I would NOT use hot water. I have heard that you can use vinegar to set the dye--not sure how much but I can find out for you. But anything other than lukewarm water (ie. cold or hot) will felt your wool, making it less soft and stretchy, pilly, and usually shrink it some. Proceed with Caution! ;)

liya
05-29-2004, 11:54 PM
ON mdc i saw the on going htread that said to actally boil it or soemthing....well humm for some reason i would be really scared to do that but you can actually ask heidi herself and i think she will totally help you out....