PDA

View Full Version : Cloth wiping - please critique my system...(Very long!)

Judegirl
06-02-2004, 03:36 AM
Before I go ahead and buy a truckload of cloth wipes, I thought I'd find out whether what we're doing makes sense, or whether it will get old fast. Please advise - maybe there's a better way than the wya we're doing it.

We use disposable diapers, but I bought cloth wipes for wet diapers, figuring I'd use disposable wipes for dirty ones. I quickly decided that cloth was better for dirty also, so now we're thinking about switching entirely to cloth.

But she's only 4 weeks old - won't her diapers get worse soon? If they get too tarry and thick, I won't want to use cloth. We don't have our own washing machine, and I don't want them sitting around if they're very messy...? (She eats EBM exclusively now.) Anyway, here's what we do now:

I have a plastic (Sterilite) box in which about 15 or so wipes sit, in a solution. They're soaking wet this way, and we wring them out in the box before each use, after which they get deposited in a plastic bag (which hangs from the changing table.) We add new wipes to the existing solution until it's gone or seems "stale" and then I make more. (I'm trying to find a large glass bottle in which to keep pre-made solution so I don't have to make it as often - any suggestions? It needs to be glass!)

The solution is always very cold - if we do this, we'll need to get a wipe warmer in the winter. Can I put whatever I want in there? Can you keep cloth in there, in the water? I don't know how they work.

So do I take the plunge? Will I regret buying all those wipes? We run out too fast now, but if we change our minds soon then they will have been a waste of money. And is there anything I should do differently??

Thanks in advance!

Jude

Momof3Labs
06-02-2004, 07:52 AM
About the poops - the only tarry poops are meconium. As long as she is on breastmilk, her poops will stay quite runny - like they are now, I assume. Once you start solids, they will thicken up, but more of a peanut butter consistency (they still wipe up pretty easily) than a tarry consistency and then eventually more adult consistency.

I wouldn't worry about the cold solution - she's probably used to it, and it is no different than disposable wipes. Many people never need a warmer for any kind of wipes.

As for the bottle, how about a Mason jar? Our grocery store or Ace hardware has them in the canning aisle. Not sure if you can buy just one. Or even a clean jelly jar?

nathans mom
06-02-2004, 12:30 PM
Nathan's Mom

I don't know anything about what you put in the solution or how much you want to store, but you could try those tall square olive oil dispensing bottles with the pour spout for convenience, or if you want really large quantities, try a a sun tea jar. Some have plastic taps,the really large ones have glass lids and metal taps. I think Target might carry the large ones-they did last summer. Good luck!

daisymommy
06-02-2004, 02:09 PM
I am so completely hooked on cloth wipes now, that there is no turning back for me, even if I went back to using disposable diapers. Cloth wipes are not only so much softer, but they are much more effective.

I don't think you would regret making the switch. but, if for some unforseen reason you ever did, they could be used for hand and face wipes when she starts eating solid food (very messy! we use a wash cloth for clean up every time!), for make-up removal, bath time, house cleaning, and the list goes on!

If you wanted to get a wipes warmer, Target sells a great one by DEX that is extra large so it fits alot of cloth wipes in it. It's under $20, and heats from the top down, so no worries about it ruining your wooden furniture or anything. Heres what I do:
1. Run a stack of wipes under warm tap water, wring out excess water, lay wipes in warmer. OR...
2. Lay stack of wipes in warmer, and pour wipes solution over top of wipes.

If you use distilled water, your wipes will stay fresh much longer than if you use tap water (days longer). But if you use them up every day it really doesn't matter what water you use.

You can use a plastic Rubbermaid bottle (I have the 16oz. size) and store the leftover solution in the frdige. It will keep for awhile longer that way, and you won't have to worry about broken glass. If you use distilled water and store it in the fride, it will last for up to 2-3 weeks!

My favorite wipes solution is "California Baby Diaper Area Wash" and can be found at Whole Foods or online. You just mix 1-2 TB. with water and you're done! Cleansing Greens makes some like this too, but it smells pretty strongly of lavendar. Or you can mix up your own. Let us know if you need a recipe.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

mommyj_2
06-04-2004, 04:47 AM
I'm a huge fan of cloth wipes. If you want warm water, a really easy way to do this is to keep a small thermos of warm water by the changing table and then wet the wipes when you want to use them. I've done this ever since last winter, and it's really easy and convenient.
HTH!

toomanystrollers
06-04-2004, 07:18 AM
My cloth wipe system: cute little basket of wipes right next to the sink and I just use warm water straight from the tap - does the job, no messes, no rashes, no wipe-solution to mix or throw out :)

mom2zsel
06-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Amy-
I would love any wipe recipes you all have to offer! Also, links to places to get the two solutions you suggested. Thanks! Here's my wipe recipe:
2 cups water
2 T vinegar
5 drops each Lavender, Tea Tree Oil, and Rosemary.
That's it, I use tap water because we go through it so fast!

calebsmama03
06-04-2004, 05:42 PM
For a glass bottle - I keep my wipes solution in a recycled beverage bottle (washed and run through dishwasher to "sterilize"). It holds a nice amount and is *free* if you already drink any beverage that comes in a glass bottle :) I agree w/ Lori about the warmer. We've never used a warmer and Caleb's never minded! I don't use wipes immediately after adding more cold solution from the fridge, though :)
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

tarahsolazy
06-05-2004, 05:15 PM
I also love my cloth wipes. I've been using cheapie BRU baby washcloths (36 of them) which are kept in a cute plastic basket on the changing table. I have a wipes warmer from Target, the Dex one, right next to the table, on the vanity. I dip a dry wipe into the warmed solution, wring out, and wipe. If there is tons of poopy, I'll use a dry, then a wet one. As to poop, my guy is only 3 mo, and his poops are just the runny yellow stuff, so no big deal. He's EBF. I just got some Darling diaper wipes (8 plus a free ninth!) today, though, and I can't stop petting them. They make those washcloths look like the crap they are. Never should have bought those, can see another dozen or 2 making their way into my mailbox... My wipes solution is just tap water, a few drops of baby bath, and a drop or two of tee tree oil, seems to work great, although I may start adding Burt's Bees Apricot oil, cause it smells so yummy!

tarahsolazy
06-05-2004, 05:15 PM
I also love my cloth wipes. I've been using cheapie BRU baby washcloths (36 of them) which are kept in a cute plastic basket on the changing table. I have a wipes warmer from Target, the Dex one, right next to the table, on the vanity. I dip a dry wipe into the warmed solution, wring out, and wipe. If there is tons of poopy, I'll use a dry, then a wet one. As to poop, my guy is only 3 mo, and his poops are just the runny yellow stuff, so no big deal. He's EBF. I just got some Darling diaper wipes (8 plus a free ninth!) today, though, and I can't stop petting them. They make those washcloths look like the crap they are. Never should have bought those, can see another dozen or 2 making their way into my mailbox... My wipes solution is just tap water, a few drops of baby bath, and a drop or two of tee tree oil, seems to work great, although I may start adding Burt's Bees Apricot oil, cause it smells so yummy!

daisymommy
06-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Northern Essence wipes solution at:
www.lilbunz.com I think it's listed under the "naturals" section.

Kissaluvs Diaper Potion (wipes solution) at:
www.naturalbabies.com

California Baby Diaper Area Wash at:
www.californiababy.com
I cannot believe that its $10 on their site when I bought it at the Whole Foods store for only $5!

Cleansing Greens wipes solution:
www.smartiepants.com

Or make your own:
Combine in a lidded container:

3c. water
1/2 TB. baby wash or Dr. Bronners Liquid Castile Soap ( from a healthfood store)
1/2 TB. baby oil or natural apricot oil, or extra virgin olive oil
1-2 drops tea tree oil (an anti-fungal)
1-2 drops lavendar oil (antiseptic properties)

Enjoy!

daisymommy
06-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Northern Essence wipes solution at:
www.lilbunz.com I think it's listed under the "naturals" section.

Kissaluvs Diaper Potion (wipes solution) at:
www.naturalbabies.com

California Baby Diaper Area Wash at:
www.californiababy.com
I cannot believe that its $10 on their site when I bought it at the Whole Foods store for only $5!

Cleansing Greens wipes solution:
www.smartiepants.com

Or make your own:
Combine in a lidded container:

3c. water
1/2 TB. baby wash or Dr. Bronners Liquid Castile Soap ( from a healthfood store)
1/2 TB. baby oil or natural apricot oil, or extra virgin olive oil
1-2 drops tea tree oil (an anti-fungal)
1-2 drops lavendar oil (antiseptic properties)

Enjoy!