PDA

View Full Version : CPF's- Who uses them, hemp vs. cotton, etc...

bobica
06-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Hi all, the fluffy mail is starting to arrive (hee hee) and I realized I didn't order any PF's except LLL NN'swhich take 3 weeks (and who knows how long after to get more if i love them!). I have gotten some basic stuff, but still fun for me but somehow seem to have ordered a variety of covers with not much to put in them. Hmmm, now what to do?

So, my question(s):
**CPF- absorbant enough without doublers for daytime (and more than 1 hour between changes!)?

**Are hemp prefolds worth the extra expense (i've seen quite the price range out there!)?

**Who out there is folding vs. stuffing in pockets or laying into AIO's?

I have a few fitted on the way- FF sleeptight, crickett's hemp (a 2nd), and a fuzzibunz (orange, yea!) used from ebay. I'm thinking fitteds are more expensive but easier.

Ok, i've babbled on & on. Any help is good help :-) Thanks all for being so generous with your knowledge & experience! I've already really really really gotten the bug!

BTW- a single El Bee hemp fitted went for $56 on ebay today- was it one of you? }(

Monica
Mom to Siobhan- 14 months

jec2
06-03-2004, 10:29 PM
We used infant PF's when DS was a newborn and I really enjoyed them except the poop on the covers kind of irritated me so I switched primarily to fitteds when he grew out of the infant-sized PF's. I had a combo of both the UB & B and liked the UB better and i did find them to be absorbant enough for daytime when DS was a newborn. I am a fitted girl now, but might go back to PF's when DS does get a bit older. I would go ahead and get some, the are handy to have around for stuffin and burp clothes et al. Also, some babies are sensitive to Hemp so having some cotton on hand just in case is probably playing it safe.

I don't know if I understand the question about folding vs. stuffing or laying into AIO, but I have used pockets and love them. I usually stuff with a joeybuns or MOE insert.

HTH

new_mommy25
06-04-2004, 03:00 AM
DS is 9 months.

After trying everything out there my main stash consists of CPF's and fitteds. Most of my fitteds are sugarpeas, though I really love sugarbums and cloud9softies.

I use regular CPF's (4x6x4). I only have unbleached, I've never tried the bleached so I can't comment. Usually I trifold them the wrong way, thrown a piece of fleece on top, and lay them into a Bumpy Day or Nikky. I do not like Bummi's because they are plasticky and don't have gussets. I use green earth covers as well but do not like them as much as Bumpy's or Nikky's. A CPF is fine for DS and I can go longer than an hour without changing him though I personally like to change him whenever I notice he is wet. If it is really hot or I am in the mood I will snappi or pin a CPF on DS and let him go coverless. He looks really cute like that. I used to do this all the time but now trifolding into a wrap is easier because quite often DS is wrestling me at changng time. I like the "look" of pins better than a snappi and use those about 50% of the time, again depending on my mood.

When I leave the house I rarely have DS in a CPF unless it is a quick trip. I prefer a fitted diaper as I think they are more absorbant. Trimness is not as much of a concern to me as it used to be because now that it is so hot the diaper is the outfit.

I do have some hemp prefolds from Little Lounging Lizards. I have Salamander soakers and Froggy Fleecers as well as Nightly Newts. I really like the Salamander soaker prefold though as far as cost wise I think a CPF is a smarter bet. Froggy Fleecers are too bulky IMO. The Nightly Newts are absorbant but they make it really difficult for DS to move his legs as they are so darn stiff. They make work better for you because your DS is older.

I have pockets and mostly dislike them.

mommyj_2
06-04-2004, 04:37 AM
My DS is 10 months old, and we've used mostly UCPFs with a few fitteds. Up until recently, I always folded and snappied. I still do a lot of the time, but I recently tried doing the trifold thing and laying it in a fleece-lined AIO shell. I totally loved it. I would never have done that for the newborn phase, or the explosive poo stage, but now that we're past those stages, I think this might be my favorite diaper of the moment (I keep changing my mind).
I've found the cotton PFs to work fine. They're a lot softer than hemp ones, IMO. I think if you need more absorbancy, you could just add a hemp doubler. I'm guessing that would be cheaper, since you probably won't need a doubler that often. I used to use a PF and a fleece-topped hemp doubler at night. Now I just put DS in a PF, because we're ECing and he doesn't wet in his dipes at night.
Oops...this was sort of long and rambling, but I hope it helps.

bobica
06-04-2004, 09:13 AM
Wow- thanks for all of the good advice! I'm not so thrilled with the pocket dipes myself & am thinking AIO would be easier (for daytime). For nights, we'll be trying the NN's, probably with a doubler- she's a super soaker, side sleeper & sleeps a good 12 hours at night, so i may basically have to wrap her in hemp like a mummy to catch it all :-)

I'm off to order some UBPF's! Thanks again for the great help!

Monica

mharling
06-04-2004, 01:41 PM
We use prefolds with Bumpy Day covers. The only thing I use with them is a homemade fleece liner. I do still fold them. I forget which one it's called, but I think it's the angel fold. I don't use pins or a Snappi; I find that it stays in place great with the Bumpy cover.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
[link:www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b370a2992536|Birthday Pics!!]

tarahsolazy
06-05-2004, 05:22 PM
If you haven't ordered yet, you've got to get indian prefolds, premium size, from the ebay seller Granitesmith. I think her name is Teresa. Anyhow, she's running a special, $20 a dozen, with shipping its $26 (these are heavy its not a rip-off). They are unbleached and very fluffy. I used bleached infant CPFS when DS was smaller, and have a combo of indians, regular cpfs (4X6X4, less bulky) which are bleached (traded some indians for them), and bleached premium CPFs. I actually like unbleached better, but I keep getting great deals on the bleached ones!!! But really, Rashmi raved so much about these indian PFs, and boy is she right!

tarahsolazy
06-05-2004, 05:22 PM
If you haven't ordered yet, you've got to get indian prefolds, premium size, from the ebay seller Granitesmith. I think her name is Teresa. Anyhow, she's running a special, $20 a dozen, with shipping its $26 (these are heavy its not a rip-off). They are unbleached and very fluffy. I used bleached infant CPFS when DS was smaller, and have a combo of indians, regular cpfs (4X6X4, less bulky) which are bleached (traded some indians for them), and bleached premium CPFs. I actually like unbleached better, but I keep getting great deals on the bleached ones!!! But really, Rashmi raved so much about these indian PFs, and boy is she right!

bobica
06-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the great tip! That is a good deal! I found a post on MDC about Granitesmith offering a sample pack of PF's but didnt' see it on ebay- maybe it's a once in a while thing. BumWrap www.bumwrapdiapers.com has a similar deal on CPF with $3.85 shipping. For $5 extra, they'll even wash them 3x before you get them! Maybe a combo of CPF & IPF? So many choices!!!

Monica

bobica
06-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the great tip! That is a good deal! I found a post on MDC about Granitesmith offering a sample pack of PF's but didnt' see it on ebay- maybe it's a once in a while thing. BumWrap www.bumwrapdiapers.com has a similar deal on CPF with $3.85 shipping. For $5 extra, they'll even wash them 3x before you get them! Maybe a combo of CPF & IPF? So many choices!!!

Monica

bobica
06-08-2004, 10:49 PM
I ordered the dozen IPF to start. I will probably email her about a sample pack to add on to try the others too. Thanks for the great info.

Monica

tarahsolazy
06-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Teresa does deals outside of ebay, where you can get good prices on sample packs of different types of dipes. Email her and she'll help you out. But I think you'll like the Indians, they get better with every wash