PDA

View Full Version : help me with my plan please (long)

crl
06-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Hi,

First, thank you all so much for all the help you've already given me!!! You've been so patient with all my silly questions and helped me learn so much.

Next, help me some more, please. :D

BACKGROUND: We are adopting from China. Don't know much yet (very soon I'll know more), but assume a baby about 1 year old for now. I won't have measurements or really precise weight/height information until we travel to China.

GOALS: Simple system with quick and easy changes. Something a bit breathable for nights if possible. (edited to add: Wool makes me itch so that's out.)

PLAN: Disposables in China transitioning to cloth on our return. Start with a small variety of cloth diapers purchased before we travel and then order enough for a complete stash on our return after trying things out. Try PUL pockets for day and fleece AIOs for night.

STARTER SUPPLIES:

about 40 wipes (mostly DD, already purchased)

1 FB
1 snapping turtle pocket diaper (www.snappingturtlepocketdiaper.com)
1 BB pocket diaper
inserts--what should I try?
1LHC windpro AIO
1 Sugarpeas fleece cover w/ snap-in diaper

diaper pail
pail liner

Happy Tushies kit--2 wet bags for diaper bag plus changing pad (cute and I didn't need to know size so I bought it. :-) )
Baby sherpa diaper bag (already bought)
smaller diaper bag--thinking of Feurville Alpha 7

What do you think?

Thanks again!

crl
06-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Hi,

First, thank you all so much for all the help you've already given me!!! You've been so patient with all my silly questions and helped me learn so much.

Next, help me some more, please. :D

BACKGROUND: We are adopting from China. Don't know much yet (very soon I'll know more), but assume a baby about 1 year old for now. I won't have measurements or really precise weight/height information until we travel to China.

GOALS: Simple system with quick and easy changes. Something a bit breathable for nights if possible. (edited to add: Wool makes me itch so that's out.)

PLAN: Disposables in China transitioning to cloth on our return. Start with a small variety of cloth diapers purchased before we travel and then order enough for a complete stash on our return after trying things out. Try PUL pockets for day and fleece AIOs for night.

STARTER SUPPLIES:

about 40 wipes (mostly DD, already purchased)

1 FB
1 snapping turtle pocket diaper (www.snappingturtlepocketdiaper.com)
1 BB pocket diaper
inserts--what should I try?
1LHC windpro AIO
1 Sugarpeas fleece cover w/ snap-in diaper

diaper pail
pail liner

Happy Tushies kit--2 wet bags for diaper bag plus changing pad (cute and I didn't need to know size so I bought it. :-) )
Baby sherpa diaper bag (already bought)
smaller diaper bag--thinking of Feurville Alpha 7

What do you think?

Thanks again!

daisymommy
06-05-2004, 12:56 PM
I think you are off to a great start! Here are some additional thoughts...I would try Joey Bunz and Mother of Eden (MOE) microfiber inserts for your pocket diapers. Or get the 5 pack of microfiber towels from Walmart (only $5, in the automotive section) and fold them in thirds, to use as an insert. Many people here use and love them, but I personally don't find them as absorbent as the MOE inserts.

I would still get a fitted diaper and cover to try. You may find that it really isn't that much work to do in comparison to an AIO, and it would be cheaper. I would try a SugarPeas size #1 diaper and a Bumpy Day cover from www.naturalbabies.com.

I know you say that wool makes you itch, and I always said the same thing. I HATE wool sweaters, blankets, etc. and swore I would never put it on my baby. But then I felt some wool jersey, and I thought it was knit or maybe fleece. I would have never in a million years guessed it was wool! It feels entirely different from the wool flannel most of us think of. I encourage you to feel some wool jersey or cashmere. They are bunny soft, and more breathable in warm weather. Try something from Sugarpeas or Sugarbums.com

For nightime if you don't end up doing any kind of wool cover over a nighttime diaper, then I would suggest ordering a Nighty Newt Soaker and doubler to go in your pocket diapers. That usually will hod a baby all night long without leaks http://tinyurl.com/2aezv

That's all I can think of for now. Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have! Good luck!

daisymommy
06-05-2004, 12:56 PM
I think you are off to a great start! Here are some additional thoughts...I would try Joey Bunz and Mother of Eden (MOE) microfiber inserts for your pocket diapers. Or get the 5 pack of microfiber towels from Walmart (only $5, in the automotive section) and fold them in thirds, to use as an insert. Many people here use and love them, but I personally don't find them as absorbent as the MOE inserts.

I would still get a fitted diaper and cover to try. You may find that it really isn't that much work to do in comparison to an AIO, and it would be cheaper. I would try a SugarPeas size #1 diaper and a Bumpy Day cover from www.naturalbabies.com.

I know you say that wool makes you itch, and I always said the same thing. I HATE wool sweaters, blankets, etc. and swore I would never put it on my baby. But then I felt some wool jersey, and I thought it was knit or maybe fleece. I would have never in a million years guessed it was wool! It feels entirely different from the wool flannel most of us think of. I encourage you to feel some wool jersey or cashmere. They are bunny soft, and more breathable in warm weather. Try something from Sugarpeas or Sugarbums.com

For nightime if you don't end up doing any kind of wool cover over a nighttime diaper, then I would suggest ordering a Nighty Newt Soaker and doubler to go in your pocket diapers. That usually will hod a baby all night long without leaks http://tinyurl.com/2aezv

That's all I can think of for now. Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have! Good luck!

crl
06-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Amy,

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

I know a lot of people end up loving wool, but I really think I am allergic. I'm so allergic to so many things I managed to freak my allergist out with the results of the scratch testing. Always fun to freak the doctor out. ;-( And I once had a wool sweater irritate a bee sting (from a couple of days before) so much it swelled to the size of a golf ball.

I'll definitely try the Joey Bunz and MOE inserts! And I'll have to go take a look at that link for Nighty Newt soakers.

Thank you!

crl
06-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Amy,

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

I know a lot of people end up loving wool, but I really think I am allergic. I'm so allergic to so many things I managed to freak my allergist out with the results of the scratch testing. Always fun to freak the doctor out. ;-( And I once had a wool sweater irritate a bee sting (from a couple of days before) so much it swelled to the size of a golf ball.

I'll definitely try the Joey Bunz and MOE inserts! And I'll have to go take a look at that link for Nighty Newt soakers.

Thank you!

daisymommy
06-07-2004, 01:55 AM
Alllrrriighty then! Please don't try the wool and swell yourself up! That would NOT be worth it! :)

OH! I totally forgot a few moms here like Motherease Airflow covers over top of the Firefly Sleeptight diapers adn have never had any leaks with them. They don't fit my son well, but they're only $10.

But pocket diapers like Fuzzi Bunz and Happy Heinys are wonderful for over night stuffed with hemp (like Nighty Newts). Only get solid color pockets though--the prints will only last 2-3 hours before they start to feel damp on the outside (called wicking). Solid colors will last 12-13 hours!

daisymommy
06-07-2004, 01:55 AM
Alllrrriighty then! Please don't try the wool and swell yourself up! That would NOT be worth it! :)

OH! I totally forgot a few moms here like Motherease Airflow covers over top of the Firefly Sleeptight diapers adn have never had any leaks with them. They don't fit my son well, but they're only $10.

But pocket diapers like Fuzzi Bunz and Happy Heinys are wonderful for over night stuffed with hemp (like Nighty Newts). Only get solid color pockets though--the prints will only last 2-3 hours before they start to feel damp on the outside (called wicking). Solid colors will last 12-13 hours!

new_mommy25
06-07-2004, 06:07 AM
You are off to a great start. How exciting!

I really disliked Fuzzibunz and Haoppy Heineys. Both fit my DS's body type all wrong. I though I didn't like pockets until I got my Doodlebottoms. ( http://www.doodlebottoms.com ) It's lined in suede cloth and fits like a dream. It also does not leave marks on DS's skin which was my main beef with Fuzzibunz and Happy Heiney's. I only have one and am debating on buying more. I'm not sure if I really am a pocket person.

I would defeintly try some fitteds. Sugarpeas and Sugarbums were mentioned. I love them! You might also want to check out Angelwraps.com for some Quick Dry AIO's. She has some really cute prints and they are quite trim.

crl
06-07-2004, 07:07 AM
Thanks! Good know about the prints!

crl
06-07-2004, 07:11 AM
Thank you! I'm glad your doodlebottoms fit. I'll definitely keep them in mind, in case I run into the same problem with fit. Those angelwraps sure are pretty. I may have to try one of the AIO-dress sets if we have a girl.