PDA

View Full Version : CD Question #1: Toddler recommendations (long)

ChicagoMama
06-06-2004, 12:11 AM
OK ladies....here we go. Thanks to my friend Chrissy (heytootsy), I got a personalized cloth diapering 101 session this week (thank you thank you Chrissy if you ready this!!!), and as we've been thinking about it for over a month, we're getting ready to go. I've done some research, so I know most of the terms (and some abbreviations), although I still get mixed up with the soaker/doubler - but anyway, I digress.

I feel comfortable with my plans for Sydney, the 8 month old - we're starting with a smorgasboard of diapers, mostly used, to see what we like best.

My question #1 is - what are your recommendations for CDing the toddler? Her specs: She is a pretty big wetter, a 2-3x per day messy (UGH!) pooper, and sleeps about 11 hours during the night. She weighs about 32 lbs, wears a size 3T, has chunky thighs, doesn't squirm too much for diaper changes, and I think she'll be potty-ready somewhere within 3 months of turning 2 based on her current disposition and other factors. So, I'd like to keep it pretty simple for her because we will be using them for less than a year, and she's a bigger child, which may force us into choosing certain types or brands of diapers only. I'll say that from my session with Chrissy, I liked the look and feel of the natural fabrics (cotton/hemp) more than the plastic AIOs, and I seem to be gravitating toward a fitted diaper with a cover by look and feel alone. I also have been toying with going all pocket diapers for the toddler, but not sure if that would be the best option.

With that -- hope I gave you enough info to give me some recs....TIA for your help and patience, more questions are surely on the way!

Warmly,
Becky

Mama to DDs Shelby 09/19/02 and Sydney 10/16/03

ChicagoMama
06-06-2004, 12:11 AM
OK ladies....here we go. Thanks to my friend Chrissy (heytootsy), I got a personalized cloth diapering 101 session this week (thank you thank you Chrissy if you ready this!!!), and as we've been thinking about it for over a month, we're getting ready to go. I've done some research, so I know most of the terms (and some abbreviations), although I still get mixed up with the soaker/doubler - but anyway, I digress.

I feel comfortable with my plans for Sydney, the 8 month old - we're starting with a smorgasboard of diapers, mostly used, to see what we like best.

My question #1 is - what are your recommendations for CDing the toddler? Her specs: She is a pretty big wetter, a 2-3x per day messy (UGH!) pooper, and sleeps about 11 hours during the night. She weighs about 32 lbs, wears a size 3T, has chunky thighs, doesn't squirm too much for diaper changes, and I think she'll be potty-ready somewhere within 3 months of turning 2 based on her current disposition and other factors. So, I'd like to keep it pretty simple for her because we will be using them for less than a year, and she's a bigger child, which may force us into choosing certain types or brands of diapers only. I'll say that from my session with Chrissy, I liked the look and feel of the natural fabrics (cotton/hemp) more than the plastic AIOs, and I seem to be gravitating toward a fitted diaper with a cover by look and feel alone. I also have been toying with going all pocket diapers for the toddler, but not sure if that would be the best option.

With that -- hope I gave you enough info to give me some recs....TIA for your help and patience, more questions are surely on the way!

Warmly,
Becky

Momof3Labs
06-06-2004, 04:13 PM
Becky, if you want to hike up to Gurnee one day, you're more than welcome to try some of Colin's stash on Shelby. Colin is 36" and 25-26lbs, so smaller than Shelby, though he is wearing 2T -3T based on his height. We use primarily pocket diapers (FuzziBunz and Baby Blanket, though like the BB's better because they fit his skinny thighs better). I still like fitteds + covers but they aren't as trim, generally, and that has become an issue lately (toddler clothes aren't made to fit over diapers generally, much less cloth). As far as fitteds go, I really like Cuddlebuns and Lucy's Hope Chest right now, and have a few El Bees and SugarPlumBaby fitteds in rotation, too. I also have a size 2 Sugarpeas fitted that we haven't used yet because it is still a little big for Colin; that might be a good option for Shelby. I find that pockets don't contain the big pees or messy poops quite as well as fitteds + covers, but a lot of that has to do with Colin's skinny thighs.

Cover-wise, Bumpy day covers are my favorite, but we also use some wool and some fleece - the latter two feel nice but, again, are bulkier so that becomes an issue with some clothes.

LMK - we'd be more than happy to have you up here to play and try things on!

Momof3Labs
06-06-2004, 04:13 PM
Becky, if you want to hike up to Gurnee one day, you're more than welcome to try some of Colin's stash on Shelby. Colin is 36" and 25-26lbs, so smaller than Shelby, though he is wearing 2T -3T based on his height. We use primarily pocket diapers (FuzziBunz and Baby Blanket, though like the BB's better because they fit his skinny thighs better). I still like fitteds + covers but they aren't as trim, generally, and that has become an issue lately (toddler clothes aren't made to fit over diapers generally, much less cloth). As far as fitteds go, I really like Cuddlebuns and Lucy's Hope Chest right now, and have a few El Bees and SugarPlumBaby fitteds in rotation, too. I also have a size 2 Sugarpeas fitted that we haven't used yet because it is still a little big for Colin; that might be a good option for Shelby. I find that pockets don't contain the big pees or messy poops quite as well as fitteds + covers, but a lot of that has to do with Colin's skinny thighs.

Cover-wise, Bumpy day covers are my favorite, but we also use some wool and some fleece - the latter two feel nice but, again, are bulkier so that becomes an issue with some clothes.

LMK - we'd be more than happy to have you up here to play and try things on!

daisymommy
06-07-2004, 02:01 AM
See my reply to the post "Need help with cloth for older baby". It may answer this question for you. My son Josh weighs 28lbs., is chunky, and wears a 2T/3T.

Let me add that SugarPeas size 2's (hemp or organic cotton) will probably fit really well based on her age and size. I have them on the tightest setting right now. LOTS of grow room! Bumpy covers aer very nice, and never fit Josh (due to his chunky thighs) bfore now. But all of a sudden his body shape has changed, so you may want to try out one. We LOVE Fuzzi Bunz and Happy Heinys for our squirmy-wormy toddler! So fast and easy. But I also adore my soft hemp diapers and wool or fleece covers.

toomanystrollers
06-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Becky,
I switched Shea to cloth right around his 2nd bd (hopefully he'll be out of them this summer). He's a big kid and I found the large Motherease Sandies fit him well along with the XL Motherease Rikki covers.

The good thing about Motherease products - they're readily available and not too expensive.

www.motherease.com

HTH

ChicagoMama
06-08-2004, 02:09 AM
Yes, readily available being the key - as I don't have time to be a hyena hahahahaha.
Becky