PDA

View Full Version : Need help with cloth for older babies

Mom2AndyRoo
06-06-2004, 01:58 PM
After two weeks of nightly blowouts and my son finger painting the walls with his poo I've decided that I need to try cloth diapers (I've exhausted every disposible choice with no luck). I've searched the board and found tons of stuff for newborns, but nothing for older babies, so if anyone can help I would be so incredibly grateful.

My son is nearly 11 months old, weighs just over 24 pounds and has incredibly chunky thighs. From what I've checked out so far it looks like fitted cloth might be best, since he has major leakage between the legs and up the back. He is also a very heavy wetter at night, so I need major absorbency. Any recommendations on brands or suggestions on what will work best?

Also, I've seen on some web sites where a doubler was used inside a cover and that was it. My son is a light wetter during the day and I thought this might be more economical. Have any of you found success with this method? Thanks!!

Mom2AndyRoo
06-06-2004, 01:58 PM
After two weeks of nightly blowouts and my son finger painting the walls with his poo I've decided that I need to try cloth diapers (I've exhausted every disposible choice with no luck). I've searched the board and found tons of stuff for newborns, but nothing for older babies, so if anyone can help I would be so incredibly grateful.

My son is nearly 11 months old, weighs just over 24 pounds and has incredibly chunky thighs. From what I've checked out so far it looks like fitted cloth might be best, since he has major leakage between the legs and up the back. He is also a very heavy wetter at night, so I need major absorbency. Any recommendations on brands or suggestions on what will work best?

Also, I've seen on some web sites where a doubler was used inside a cover and that was it. My son is a light wetter during the day and I thought this might be more economical. Have any of you found success with this method? Thanks!!

wendinbill
06-06-2004, 02:37 PM
During the day, I would think that a Fuzzi Bunz would work great, or a cheaper way is to use a prefold, lay it in a wrap, cover with a fleece liner, and away you go!! It's so easy. I hear that Bumpy Day Covers are nice. I use Bummi's and haven't had any problems. At night, I use Motherease One Size diapers. I've also used Fuzzi Bunz stuffed with a million things-lol!! Joey Bunz are nice, I hear that Nighty Newts are great too-have some on order!! Good luck!!

wendinbill
06-06-2004, 02:37 PM
During the day, I would think that a Fuzzi Bunz would work great, or a cheaper way is to use a prefold, lay it in a wrap, cover with a fleece liner, and away you go!! It's so easy. I hear that Bumpy Day Covers are nice. I use Bummi's and haven't had any problems. At night, I use Motherease One Size diapers. I've also used Fuzzi Bunz stuffed with a million things-lol!! Joey Bunz are nice, I hear that Nighty Newts are great too-have some on order!! Good luck!!

todzwife
06-06-2004, 03:50 PM
www.motherease.com has wonderful diapers that are easy to get, work well and have excellent resale. I have a little over a dozen one-size and they fit my 19 pounder with TONS of room to grow. They are soft and after they are broken in they are very absorbant. I got tired of trying to get diapers from WAHM's who have waiting lists a mile long so I ordered the motherease and have been quite pleased. :)You might want to try something more absorbant at night if you have a heavy wetter. Hemp is always a good choice...I'll let some other mammas fill you in on what they think is best.

todzwife
06-06-2004, 03:50 PM
www.motherease.com has wonderful diapers that are easy to get, work well and have excellent resale. I have a little over a dozen one-size and they fit my 19 pounder with TONS of room to grow. They are soft and after they are broken in they are very absorbant. I got tired of trying to get diapers from WAHM's who have waiting lists a mile long so I ordered the motherease and have been quite pleased. :)You might want to try something more absorbant at night if you have a heavy wetter. Hemp is always a good choice...I'll let some other mammas fill you in on what they think is best.

daisymommy
06-07-2004, 01:50 AM
I staretd using cloth diapers when my son was the same age and weight as your son, with chunky thighs too. Here's what I have found works and doesn't work for that body type:

Works:
Sugar Peas fitted diapers--size 2
Sugarbums side snap French Cut fitted diapers--size Large
Liz's Cloth fitteds--size 2
Fuzzi Bunz size Large with a Joey Bunz inside
Happy Heiny's size Large with a MOE insert inside
Bummis covers, size Large
Any side snap cover

Does NOT work:
MotherEase diapers fit on the second to last snap setting when he was that age and weight--hardly any grow room at all.
ME Airflow covers--leave red marks on chubby thighs
ME Rikki Wrap covers--velcro scratches up thighs
Proraps covers
Green Earth covers
Bumpy covers
Bumkins covers or AIO diapers
Bummis pull-ons
(all of these have velcro that scratches up chunky thighs).

I bought several Firefly Sleeptight dipaers, and they hold him all night long without any leaks. But honestly, he is in a size Large (as big as they come) and they are on the next to last snap setting--not very much grow room for a $25 diaper! I don't think I would recommend it for that reason. Maybe try a Nighty Newt soaker and doubler inside a Happy Heiny for overnight.

daisymommy
06-07-2004, 01:50 AM
I staretd using cloth diapers when my son was the same age and weight as your son, with chunky thighs too. Here's what I have found works and doesn't work for that body type:

Works:
Sugar Peas fitted diapers--size 2
Sugarbums side snap French Cut fitted diapers--size Large
Liz's Cloth fitteds--size 2
Fuzzi Bunz size Large with a Joey Bunz inside
Happy Heiny's size Large with a MOE insert inside
Bummis covers, size Large
Any side snap cover

Does NOT work:
MotherEase diapers fit on the second to last snap setting when he was that age and weight--hardly any grow room at all.
ME Airflow covers--leave red marks on chubby thighs
ME Rikki Wrap covers--velcro scratches up thighs
Proraps covers
Green Earth covers
Bumpy covers
Bumkins covers or AIO diapers
Bummis pull-ons
(all of these have velcro that scratches up chunky thighs).

I bought several Firefly Sleeptight dipaers, and they hold him all night long without any leaks. But honestly, he is in a size Large (as big as they come) and they are on the next to last snap setting--not very much grow room for a $25 diaper! I don't think I would recommend it for that reason. Maybe try a Nighty Newt soaker and doubler inside a Happy Heiny for overnight.

toomanystrollers
06-07-2004, 10:25 AM
I would recommend the Motherease "Sandies" size Large (not the ME one-size dipes) with the doubler (or you can buy fleece-topped hemp doublers elsewhere for more absorbancy) I started Shea (at age 2 with thick chunker thighs) with the sandies and on him, I like the Motherease Rikki wraps. In my experience, I've haven't encountered any scratchy velcro problems with them.

HTH

jec2
06-07-2004, 12:43 PM
I think you've gotten great advice and suggestions but I had the idea that you could rename him AndyPOO! LOL :) vs. Andyroo!

Mom2AndyRoo
06-07-2004, 05:13 PM
That is so funny (and true)! He seems to have gone back to his old routine of 4 poos a day, and there hasn't been a blowout in 2 nights, but I think I'm still going to switch to cloth. Even with coupons disposibles are just too darn expensive and when I did the math I couldn't believe how much we'd save with cloth.

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I'm going to try a little of what each of you has suggested and see what works best. For the non-Fuzzi Bunz diapers, are there any suggestions on brands for liners? I think I like the hemp ones with the fleece topper. Is this a good choice? Also, any suggestions on where I can get the best prices and availability?

squimp
06-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Just wanted to say that we have that same problem with Sophia - she poops in fountains up her back. Serious plumber butt! This totally precludes us from using disposables - hate them. When we travel (and have to use disposables), we put a Rikki or Bumkins wrap over the disposable!

Fuzzi buns generally work for us during the day, but it also sounds smart to try fitteds as well.

Good luck!