PDA

View Full Version : What size covers for newborn PF diapers?

newmomma
06-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Hi! I am in the process of figuring out what to buy for my first baby that I plan to cloth-diaper (due in 7 weeks). I think I am going to go with UBCPF (or maybe European prefolds--if anyone has opinions on which is better please advise!). Cover-wise, I am going to mostly go with Proraps & Bummis velcro Whisper Wraps (maybe a few Weebees snap covers also) but I've read conflicting things on what size covers to get for the infant-sized prefolds (either newborn size or small size). Will the PF's be too bulky to fit into the Proraps or Bummis newborn-sized covers or will the small-size covers be too big for a newborn baby? I think I will have an average-sized baby (71/2 lbs or so). Thanks for your help!

pritchettzoo
06-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Are you starting with the infant prefolds or a larger size? If you're going with infants, the newborn covers will fit in the beginning. DD was a little over 10 lbs and could wear the newborn covers for a couple of weeks. We had 2 newborns and 5 smalls (proraps), and she fit into both. I tried to use the newborns as much as possible until her stump fell off. I don't know how the smalls would fit on a 7 1/2 pounder... I'd get a couple (at least) of the newborn size. I got prorap seconds, and they were around $5 a cover--so even if you only use them for a couple of weeks, they're cheaper than 'sposies! :)

For my next baby, I'm going to get some unbleached Indian prefolds. They are so incredibly soft! If you search for them in here, you'll find lots of raves. A lady on eBay with the seller ID granitesmith has great prices and customer service.

HTH!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

papal
06-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Well.... we used the Newborn size proraps for about 2 months before they got too small (dd was born at 6'7')... if I had to do it over, i would just get 6-8 small Bumpy Days and be done with it. They are awesome and would last for a few months. I am not a fan of the proraps and i had a bww but was not that fond of it either.

KrisM
06-11-2004, 10:46 PM
I had newborn Prowraps and small Bummis with infant PFs. DS was 9 lbs 6 oz at birth. I used the newborn Prowraps for about 3 weeks and had to move up to small. The small Bummis were just small enough at the beginning. If DS was much smaller they woud have been too big. If your baby is 7 1/2 lbs, the smalls may not work well. I'd get a few newborn size, just to be safe.

Kris

mudder17
06-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Hi! Kaya was 7 lbs when she was born. The preemie size Euro PFs fit her for about 3-4 weeks inside the newborn proraps. The kissaluv 0's fit inside the newborn proraps for about 2 weeks and then we had to move up to the small size prorap colors.

I'm pretty sure the infant CPFs never fit inside the newborn prorap cover. They did, however, fit inside the small prorap color covers. Of course we didn't use the infant-sized PFs until she was about 8.5 pounds. I'm not sure how the size of the Bummis compare to the Proraps, but I do know they're a little stretchier. You might be able to get an infant sized PF inside one of those, but I'm guessing not for long if your newborn is a 7.5 pounder.

You might want to get a couple dozen of the preemie sized PFs in addition to the infant sized PFs. I know you might not be able to use them for long as the primary dipe, but they are great for doublers later on. I know the infant sized PFs were definitely too big for Kaya until she was about 4 weeks old. Anyway, the preemie sized PFs will definitely fit inside the newborn proraps, and probably the newborn BWW. Really, as soon as Kaya's stump fell off and dried off (w/in 1.5 weeks), I started using the small covers. I think I had 3 newborn prorap covers, and 3 small prorap color covers. When I started using the CPFs and IPFs (infant size), I got a couple of the BWWs (small) and they worked until about 2 weeks ago.

I now have UBCPFs, UBIPFs and EPFs and I love them all. The EPFs have a tighter weave; consequently they are trimmer and will probably last longer. I use them mostly during the day. The IPFs are wonderfully soft and I think a little more absorbent than ether the CPFs or the EPFs. I tend to use them at night. However they also shrink more than the CPFs and EPFs.

I got all my PFs and prorap covers from Teresa (granitesmith on EBay). I e-mail her directly and she's always really helpful with putting together a stash. She is willing to mix and match the various types of PFs and covers, so e-mail her directly if you decide to buy from her.

HTH,

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

newmomma
06-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Rashmi,

I was just wondering if you could tell me why you prefer the Bumpy Days over the Proraps & Bummis Whisper Wrap? You said that you would get 6-8 small Bumpy days for a newborn...do you think these would fit from the beginning? This is all so confusing but I appreciate the help! Thanks

Dahlia